The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
Apachekid58

Steering Box is shot

Hey guys, Lurker here with a question.

Me and a few buddies did a straight axle over leaf conversion on my '58 3100, the way the truck was sitting before, the steering box had absolutely no strain on it at all. Now that the truck is lowered and the steering box actually has a bit of stress being put on it, we can tell that the steering box is shot. Who would you guys suggest to..

A-Buy a completely new manual steering box(Not converting to power steering)

B-Send it out to someone to rebuild

C-Buy a rebuild kit from.

Thanks, Rob
Apachekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
51 okie

Re: Steering Box is shot

I'm curious as to the setup with your drop. Did you just move the axle to the top of leaf spring to get your drop? How much drop did you get? I don't have an answer but I'm looking to get dome drop on mine for cheap and will watch this thread for what info you get.. Thanks
51 okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
fredos59

Just a guess but it sounds like moving the axel has changed something in the way the pitman arm attaches. I have flipped a lot of rear axles but never a front.
If you are going to stay non power steering then you my as well have yours rebuilt. After market units may or may not be as good as stock rebuilt.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #4
Apachekid58

[QUOTE=51 okie;7344818]I'm curious as to the setup with your drop. Did you just move the axle to the top of leaf spring to get your drop? How much drop did you get? I don't have an answer but I'm looking to get dome drop on mine for cheap and will watch this thread for what info you get.. Thanks[/QUOTE

Yea we just moved the axle over the leaf. Have $0 in it and got 5 1/2 drop out of it. This does put more strain on your box though. The best advice i would give if you are looking to do it cheap would be to make sure that you have a good/decent box and to make sure you have clearance with your tie rod to you your leaf so you can set your caster right.
Apachekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Coupeguy2001

There shouldn't be any more strain on the box if the geometry is right. Take a second look at the length and angles of your pittman arm, and drag link. see if a modified arm or drag link wouldn't cure the problem.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

We did the same thing you did it dropped the truck 5 inches truck drives like crap wanders all over the road very hard to drive you hit a bump you better be ready for it. My buddy said the box has a lot of slop in the box, with the truck sitting back up in the stock position it drives fine. Where looking to do a completely different set up than stock.
1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
dsraven

with the axle on top of the springs, is the steering box centered-(lock to lock count)? if not then the "slop" in the box is due to the way the gears are cut inside the box. they are tight in the centre of travel and get a little looser on each side of centre so the king pin inclination will help self centre the truck back to the middle. so when you go around a corner and let go of the wheel it will want to come back to the middle-straight ahead position. I am guessing that the box is not in the middle anymore so it has slop and also turns further one way than the other. the adjustable drag link may help that. the other thing to check is the caster angle. now that the axle mounts differently the caster angle is probably gonna be off and may require a tapered shim under the axle to get it right again. also make sure the axle fits the spring well so it can't rock around or you may find yourself upside down in the ditch looking for your phone to call 911......the original mounting surface probably had a flat spot to mate to the spring. the other side of the axle, that it is mounted to now, probably doesn't have that luxury.
please remember, when you modify stuff and it is out of whack, it is not just YOUR life you play with, it is EVERYBODY else's life who is in your vehicle or on the same road. not trying to lecture, just saying, be safe.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
Coupeguy2001

maybe you could flip the pittman arm or install a beefy bellcrank and a short drag link
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #9

We put the truck back like it was and it drives great, and for now that's the way we will leave it until we can do some upgrades. Thanks guys for all your help.

Chris,
Old 10-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #10

Hey Apachekid hope we didn't highjack your post I just saw you where asking the same questions sorry dude.

Chris,