The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
J48chevy

LS factory compressor?

Installing an LS and was wondering if anyone is using the stock LS compressor with the vintage air set up? Can you use this to save on cost of the full air condition kit? Just wondering. The LS I have has all the components on it so I figured why not use this too.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: LS factory compressor?

not sure because the ls compressor is cycled by the ls computer. need an ac guy to answer that one. it would be good to know since I will be in the same quandary with my build one day.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I was told by Vintage that the LS compressor is a variable compressor and would not work with the VA kit. I have also heard on here that others have used it so I would call them to make sure.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
1project2many

The stock compressor should be able to handle the job. We use them on larger bus systems. But there may be a difference between the type of connection on the OE compressor and the VA unit. If you know someone who makes A/C hoses then you're all set.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
1project2many

Sorry... didn't get back in time to edit the previous post.

The LS Compressor is a variable displacement compressor. It is typically used with a fixed orifice tube like those found in many GM vehicles from the late '70s up. The VA system uses a fixed displacement compressor and a thermal expansion valve to control flow through the evaporator based on load. Sometimes a hybrid system will hunt, with both the compressor and the expansion valve to control evap temp but actually causing temperature variations.

There are vehicles using a vairable displacement compressor and a thermal expansion valve. Some of our buses have a hybrid system with a fixed orifice on the front evaporator and an expansion valve on the rear evap. They work well.

You could look for a Sanyo clone compressor to try and save $$ if you don't want to mess with the OE compressor.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote