The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
fredos59

I cant find the info rack and pinion

OK so I have been on the interwebs for 2 days and I cant find the info (or photos) I'm looking for.
I'm looking to see if any one has added a power rack and pinion to the stock 1959 3200 apache front end? I have fabricated a lot of stuff that was not supposed to work, but I always had a basic idea before I started.
So HELP! I'm too stoopid to figure this one out myself.

Fredo, San Diego
Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
1project2many

Re: I cant find the info rack and pinion

Here's one for an I beam axle that mentions where he bought his R&P.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=22

Installation instructions for above kit:
http://nolimit.net/tech/oldpdf/PS-SA_Instructions1.pdf

Installation on a Ferd:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...le-report.html

hth...

Last edited by 1project2many; 10-21-2015 at 12:59 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
dsraven

if the rack bolts to the i beam make sure you have a looong slip area in the column shaft. when the truck goes over a bump the shaft has to get shorter and/or longer. wouldn't want that thing to bottom out and rip the column off the dash, or become separated as the suspension droops so you end up with no steering. I have seen sxome pics of a rack set up that didn't look all that safe to me.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
mr48chev

I'd have to agree with DSRaven on that one. Most of the racks added to an I beam suspension on any sort of vehicle that I have come across were pretty well cobbled together without any serious level of engineering smarts put into the install.

The main thing is that you need the slip shaft as he said that works as smoothly as a pto shaft does on a piece of farm equipment as when the equipment moves up and down in the field and the shaft extends and shortens to match the movement.

Next you need to mount the rack so it is centered on the same line that the tie rod would be for it to work correctly. That's putting it about six inches off the axle which looks like the pits and may be in the way of something. Mounted up against the axle with the tie rods at angles to meet the steering arms may give you a real problem with the way one wheel tracks through a corner compared to the other. That causes poor steering and rapid and uneven tire wear.

I've got a real crude dropped axle out back that came with 3 inch thick aluminum blocks bolted to it to hold a rack at some time It came off a Chevy street rod that a friend of mine hung a MII front end under 30 years ago and I got it when he had his shop closing auction but the rack was long gone. I don't think those spacers got the rack out to the center line of the tie rod though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Coupeguy2001

There was a company selling brackets to mount the rack to the axle. I talked to a guy that bought one, and he hit a curb pretty hard, and the rack slid to the left on the axle, and the steering wheel was almost ripped out of his hands. He was pretty much afraid of it and offered it to me for about 60 bucks. I declined, since if he had problems, I would be dumb enough to re-engineer it, and spend all my time working on something that was a bad idea to begin with.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
hsdropout

Exclamation Re: I cant find the info rack and pinion

I have the No Limit Kit installed on a 59 3100. Works like a charm. There is no way the "D" shaft can separate; slides up and down very well and has plenty of shaft lap. I have mono leaf springs so there is not a lot of travel. I can turn stop to stop with my little finger.
I hope to not slam in to any curbs really hard, but sure, anything can happen.
If you looked and mine and drove it you might agree that it is an acceptable alternative to keeping the straight axle while getting power steering upgrade.
I believe early Corvettes has a similar set up.
Everybody has there own opinion and reasons but I personally don't think it is a "bad" idea.
I researched it and installed it myself, so I am comfortable with it.
Questions?.....Comments?
hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
hsdropout

to add: however ironic this may seem, and to ease concerns of the naysayers, I am still in test mode and only driving on a private road with no other traffic.: metal:
Old 10-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
fredos59

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
mr48chev

I for one didn't know that No limit made a kit for this or anyone else for that matter. I checked their website and they didn't show it so a guy would have to contact them and ask about it.

I'd think the big concern for most of us who have been around these trucks and hot rods for a long time is that we have seen too many cobbled up messes in the past where guys stuck a rack on and I beam with no thought given to safety or steering geometry.

You read someone's post asking about doing it an you remember that scabbed together rig with the radiator hose clamps holding the rack on the axle and some contraption set up for the slip shaft in the steering with the ends butt welded together that you saw 20 years ago.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
1project2many

You have to look around. They call it "power steering for solid axle." It took me a bit to get those links.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
There was a company selling brackets to mount the rack to the axle. I talked to a guy that bought one, and he hit a curb pretty hard, and the rack slid to the left on the axle, and the steering wheel was almost ripped out of his hands. He was pretty much afraid of it and offered it to me for about 60 bucks. I declined, since if he had problems, I would be dumb enough to re-engineer it, and spend all my time working on something that was a bad idea to begin with.
just weld the brackets to the axle...

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #12
mr48chev

I found this page but the setup is spendy. https://www.performanceonline.com/Ra...Pinion-c-1339/

The other two pieces on the page might be interesting to a few folks though. They also have a section for AD trucks.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
fredos59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I found this page but the setup is spendy. https://www.performanceonline.com/Ra...Pinion-c-1339/

The other two pieces on the page might be interesting to a few folks though. They also have a section for AD trucks.
I saw that, funny thing is I can get a mostly complete PS set up for $100 less then the rack and pinion set up from the same outfit. After reading about the possible issues with the slip joint on the steering shaft I'm now leaning towards the PS set up vs. the rack and pinion.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
1project2many

Found it in the Blue Oval parts (but it is available for AD and TF trucks).

Interested parties should sit down, fasten safety belts, and place trays in the upright position before viewing prices.

http://www.nolimitengineering.com/pr...tegory=6157534
Old 10-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
mr48chev

That looks exactly like the one in the photo I posted right down to being the same photo for 100 more.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #16
hsdropout

What most want is the Wide Ride IFS............out of my budget for now at $3500ish.

Happy Motoring!