The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #76
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Thanks for your kind words. Its been a dream for a decade. Will never be perfect or detail exact but never wanted that. The grab handles and power running boards are a necessary "reasonable accommodation" as too old and crippled up to haul butt up into cab. Grab handles may keep me from ruining another tilt wheel.

Next step is to add the doors emblems and the polished Myrtle wood side boards engraved with the names of those who died in F-111a's in SEA from 1972 to 1973.

Using the old emblem but open to other suggestions. Again current USAF symbol "ist verboten" by them

also thinking of adding "no step" , "beware of blast" labels, interior ejection handles and "remove before flight" flagging. The dash instructions and tire pressures may be too much to add back.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #77
Katrina/10

Good work on eluding the CA DMV Gestapo!!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:03 AM   #78
vintovka

Drove it for first time in 16 years!!! Good news and bad. The good news is Shop found vacuum leak was due to warped base on both brand new carb and intake. They added an additional spacer and thicker gaskets to fix, Timing was off by one tooth as well. The Rear fender filler worked well and filled without a hitch, burp or spill. Really bad news is the 700r4 tranny that was brand new in 1999 and hardly driven is slipping from sitting all those years. Looks like another 2k+ rebuild in near future. Two steps forward and one back as usual.

Last edited by vintovka; 11-01-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #79
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Drove it for first time in 16 years!!! Good news and bad. The good news is Shop found vacuum leak was due to warped base on both brand new edelbrock carb and intake. They added an additional spacer and thicker gaskets to fix, Timing was off by one tooth as well. The Rear fender filler worked well and filled without a hitch, burp or spill. Really bad news is the 700r4 tranny that was brand new in 1999 and hardly driven is slipping from sitting all those years. Looks like another 2k+ rebuild in near future. Two steps forward and one back as usual.
Wow those are some expensive problems. That sucks! I can't believe the edelbrock carb would be warped, those things are already expensive enough without needing problems.

Might be worth finding a used 700r4. I ended up getting one for $250.

Good news is you got to drive! I bet that felt good

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #80
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Wow those are some expensive problems. That sucks! I can't believe the carb would be warped, those things are already expensive enough without needing problems.

Might be worth finding a used 700r4. I ended up getting one for $250.

Good news is you got to drive! I bet that felt good
Was nice to drive after all these years. Like i said i was 18 the first time and that was a long time ago.

If the drop Pittman arm solves the hard steering i will be really happy. The arm was not changed when the frame was lifted 4" and may be the reason former owner lost control, flipped it and rode upside down a steep hillside shearing off the original k10 cab. Luckily he survived and I got the complete chassis cheap.

Being too old and living remote narrow my repair choices to almost none. Cost may be over double that in 1999. Luckily the dollar is worth less than 1 tenth of what it was then.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #81
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Good work on eluding the CA DMV Gestapo!!
The CA DMV Gestapo issue came up again. Guess even driving any vehicle with out of state plates might be probable cause to get stopped by Local and CHP. Some regular and car club guys here in OR reporting being pulled over for just that in Sacramento and LA areas and let go because they had valid OR addresses and OR Drivers licenses. The big increases in CA DMV fees causing a crackdown on those living in CA and registering elsewhere. Just a heads up as fines are beyond heinous.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #82
dsraven

with the 700r4, is there a shift module inline? they are electronically shifted correct? I am sure you have that figured out though.
that sucks but at least you got some road time. do the throttle pates work properly with the warped base? not binding?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #83
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
with the 700r4, is there a shift module inline? they are electronically shifted correct? I am sure you have that figured out though.
that sucks but at least you got some road time. do the throttle pates work properly with the warped base? not binding?
No electronics on this one except OD. The shop and I agree sitting for so many years may have destroyed it. Not sure the warpage will affect the plates They did need to add a 1' spacer and thicker gasket to resolve the vacuum issues and the engine runs fine. Will be speaking to MFR directly concerning the additional costs and hassles involved.

Toying with idea of ordering a new performance 700r4 and having it installed. Don't have that much time left to fuss with a poor rebuild.

If you can still do your own work you have this old mans envy,
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #84
vintovka

Well its been over a year with all sorts of ups and downs. One positive note is that there's an auto Parts supplier that is over and above.. I am completely impressed that Rancho Shocks stepped up to the plate and honored their "lifetime guarantee" and replaced all my shocks (and steering stabilizer}. They were added around 2001 and now 16 years later completely shot. They took the old ones back and shipped new ones at no cost. They make a good product unlike EDELBROCK whose quality control and customer service are in the toilet. I will never buy or recommend badly made and machined EDELBROCK products to anyone ever again. Their products cost me about a grand to resolve.

Also a thumbs up to PEP BOYS who warranted my 17 year old alternator. They were delighted to get it back in the original box for display.

Both the brakes and the tranny remain pricey issues but trying to have them both addressed soon. The last step will be the adding of the HAP ARNOLD AIR force wings to the doors and the memorial myrtle wood side racks. Then off to local shows, parades and USAF recruiting centers.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #85
vintovka

Well "George" had his first bath in about 20 years and a celebratory trip to the beach. The sliding rear and new weather stripping seemed to work to keep water out. First time in near 50 years its been anywhere near a beach. Use to go down to Corona Del Mar on a pretty regular basis often funded by hitchhikers with gas money. Wife hasn't ridden in since 1999 and looked a bit terrified but calmed down. Even saw a 50' dead sperm whale washed up north of Nesika. Will avoid that area for a good long while as even a dead sea lion can stink up the whole area.

Rides nice with all new shocks (thanks Rancho!!). I left off the 2 of the quad front shocks as i value what is left of my teeth. Tranny still shifting funny and brakes need another look as well. Still a hoot to drive and get thumbs up and honks all up and down 101.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #86
vintovka

Well been spending inodinate amout of time and $ correcting things the shop missed or messed up. That said i ordered the new side emblems today and went for a celebratory trip to the beach. Was able to contact the daughter of one of the pilots that rode in in this truck and later crashed in Laos. She seemed very pleased someone remembers those we lost in that war.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #87
vintovka

Unhappy Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Well we missed the memorial day parade --AGAIN! We tried like hell to be in the parade. The day we were to have the emblems applied the trans went out. Thought we could squeeze another couple hundred miles out of it, but no. Tranny burned up on post wash "drying drive". Poor thing has been up in coos bay last 3 weeks waiting for fix. Wound up sitting there as just another spectator right in front of Fred Meyer. Went over to the car show in harbor to explain our absence to friends Sorry we missed any of you who showed up to see us. Sorry no pics as was in poor mood. Well maybe next year.

Last edited by vintovka; 05-29-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #88
LT7A

Very cool story with this truck. So glad that you kept at it. The insignias on the doors look fantastic. My grandfather was Army Air Corps. I'm impressed and moved by how you've kept track of those who were lost. I hope they can fix your transmission for minimal cost. Keep going on this thing. The frustration is natural, but don't lose heart. It's a great story and a great truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #89
vintovka

Sadly still waiting for shop to call and say that tranny is fixed. Just as well as needed to wait for another pension and VA disability check to help pay for this latest major setback. My project is running on less than fumes now.

The emblems shown are just digital for now. the real ones are sitting in sign shop waiting for truck as well. The USAAC symbol is the nicest one the AF ever had. Almost glad the USAF forebade the use of the current symbol (which i dislike). FWIW in the same phone call in which the said i couldn't use the current symbol they solicited me to bring the truck to a recruitment event. Still may attend. Missing the Memorial Day parade really hurts.

FWIW not hard to keep track of lost aircrew. My hand drawn attack plans were in their hands when they died. I was often last to see them. Only a Sgt but all treated me with respect and their advice changed my life. They will always stay young in my mind never get any older, and a constant reminder to to live my life the best i can because theirs ended so abruptly.

Last edited by vintovka; 05-29-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #90
vintovka

Been busy with life. The trans was "fixed" but had to go back to Coos Bay because of leaks (150 mile round trip). Many other fixes and upgrades added. Most notable was the GPS installed on dash. Made it to first parade. Very small town but still a parade. This is the culmination of the 50 year+ plan. Still needs much work and may never really be finished. Becoming a "coastal cruiser" for our nearly daily trips to beach (weather permitting). Always seems to draw a crowd of appreciative folks and brings back many memories.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #91
joedoh

I like doing math and what is fun to think about is that this truck was only 13 years old when it was given to you. for everyone else to wrap their mind around, that is like being given a 2005 chevy short bed truck today.

very nice work, I remember when you posted the first time! its a rare thing to "finish", unofficially only 10% of the projects in the projects forums are done in less than 3 years.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #92
vintovka

I was upset it took so long. Another "bucket list" checked off.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #93
vintovka

Been working on little stuff. Found my brake light switch i installed so 20 years ago finally died. Was able to take it apart, lube with silicone and its good as new. Attached is a pic of the third brake light. The location is only one i could use given limitations and looks like it was made for truck with the 1954,55 rear bumper. I wanted it to also light up with the turn signals but no deal. If you buy one the know this. White is ground, black is parking and red is stop. Drunken PRC Engineers.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #94
Old57

Cool truck, glad I found your build thread
Old 10-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #95
MiraclePieCo

What's the story behind the outside mirror change?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #96
vintovka

Peeps were useless with vent windows and downright dangerous for me in traffic.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #97
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Peeps were useless with vent windows and downright dangerous for me in traffic.
What did you end up using instead? I see you have the small peeps on the truck in those pictures. I have the same ones on my truck but they are usless and was thinking of getting the longer armed ones with the 4.5" mirror.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #98
vintovka

Used an original 54 arm i had on the drivers side and bought a painted repro arm for the passenger. Used 4x5" rectangular mirrors with 1.5" convex spots in corners. Even with a 1" extension a small part of the rectangle mirror is blocked by the windshield. Use them horizontal to increase view. Peeps about got me in an accident changing lanes. BTW you can drill holes thru the factory holes in the interior supports to make it easier.

Pic is at local tiny town parade.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #99
28TudorAZ

Looks nice.
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #100
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
Looks nice.
Thanks. Nice comments soften the continual onslaught of costs and repairs (and re-repairs).

The trans shop fixed the bad leak at the np208 output shaft by using a heavy duty seal. Apparently the seal kit they used in the rebuild did not have real good ones in it. Seal has a bright red outer ring (instead of green) and much thicker. Hope it works. Pan is still leaking and think its the same deal on seal quality. Going back this week to hopefully get leaks fixed. Another 150 mile round trip and $40 in gas.