The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Fred n' Ethel

"Temporary" glass installation

Hi folks. A search revealed much about glass, but I didn't see what I'm looking for.
I have new glass and rubber for the windshield and back of my 54 3100 as well as a 39 sedan. They are both drivers and in pretty good shape. I might restore one, or the other, or both in the coming couple years but for now I need the new glass to make them street legal. And safe. The 39 is really bad, 50% delaminated.
Can I put these new glasses in with NO adhesive or sealer assuming I'll be pulling them out in the future for the restorations ? Would they likely leak ?
Never plan to ride in the rain, but might get caught out, ya never know.
I don't want to ruin the rubbers, is the glue/sealant permanent ?
The original 39 glass was a pita to get out .. glued tight everywhere.
Thanks,
Fred n' Ethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: "Temporary" glass installation

glued? I wouldn't have thought that...if its just the rubber seals and still new and flexible you might be able to save the gasket....if they get hard and stiff I doubt youll be able to re-use it...gaskets are fairly cheap though...so id sacrifice the gasket before I would the windshield..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
MARTINSR

ABSOLUTELY! The truth is there was no sealant from the factory in the window rubbers! The bummer is the aftermarket rubbers aren't perfect and often you do need something. But realistically you MAY be able to install them without anything and they may do the job for you. Do it on the warmest day, leave the rubber out in the sun to get soft.

Make some tools like I did and you will NOT be sorry you spent the time for them, holy crap these are like gold! Click on the link..................

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wind...ls-360386.html

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
glued? I wouldn't have thought that...if its just the rubber seals and still new and flexible you might be able to save the gasket....if they get hard and stiff I doubt youll be able to re-use it...gaskets are fairly cheap though...so id sacrifice the gasket before I would the windshield..
Oh crap, I didn't catch that he planned on using the old rubbers, Fred n' Ethel, I SERIOUSLY doubt you could pull that off!

Brian

Old 05-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
_Ogre

Quote:
I have new glass and rubber
new rubbers don't require any sealant and you should be able to reuse them assuming you don't go 20 sunbaked years before the rebuilds
shouldn't be any glue or sealant on the truck, not sure about the sedan, but i don't think so

gotta remember modern adhesives weren't around back then
even plastic was pretty basic, most of the 'plastic' in our trucks is bakelite, that crumbles under impact or pressure
i was telling my son-in-law last week that shampoo bottles in the bath/shower were glass up until the late 60s
we were still pulling lead out of interior paint well into the 80s, lead made colors pop

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Fred n' Ethel

OK Guys, to be clearer .... I'm starting with the 39. New Steele grommets.
The Steele instructions say to put a continuous bead of sealant around the inside (see pics), which the Chevy manual omits, and the Chevy manual says "13. Seal under the outer lip of the windshield rubber weatherstrip around the entire windshield opening and also, under the windshield wiper housing cap gasket, use compound F. S. 621 in gun B-182." (looks like a small Eagle oil can) This is probably a different rubber profile than the later trucks, these glasses are primarily held in with the garnish mouldings.

The old rubber is destroyed, I'm referring to installing my new glass and new rubber with plans of removing it, and then putting it back after painting the car/truck in a couple of years. The rubber would still be like new .... IF I can get it apart without destroying it. Putting it in with no adhesives would maybe make them re usable. They're not really cheap. over 200 for the both of em.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

gotcha...I wasn't sure on the 39 but when I said cheap I was referring to the truck gaskets

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
truckster

Install it dry. If it leaks you can use a flow-grade butyl sealant. Butyl sealants don't cure or get hard, so you can remove the rubber later.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
Fred n' Ethel

OK, I'm going to install them "clean". A slight leak will not be a big problem prior to the resto/repaint. This will help ensure that I'll have little problem getting them out and preserving the seals.
Ya know how folks call big ol cars boats ? ?
Sealed this way, I guess you could call this one a Submarine. ha ha ha
Old 05-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #10
68blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
new rubbers don't require any sealant and you should be able to reuse them assuming you don't go 20 sunbaked years before the rebuilds
shouldn't be any glue or sealant on the truck, not sure about the sedan, but i don't think so

gotta remember modern adhesives weren't around back then
even plastic was pretty basic, most of the 'plastic' in our trucks is bakelite, that crumbles under impact or pressure
i was telling my son-in-law last week that shampoo bottles in the bath/shower were glass up until the late 60s
we were still pulling lead out of interior paint well into the 80s, lead made colors pop

Glass bottles in showers, lead in paint, could still smoke on planes until 90's...how the h3ll did we ever live thru that...
Old 05-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #11
Fred n' Ethel

One more window question.
Which is commonly/currently used to secure the side windows/vents in the sash channels ? I see the use of cork and rubber setting tapes, and some just using a urethane caulk then trimming with a razor blade.
What do you folks generally use ?
Thanks.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
mr48chev

The glass shop I go to used to use tape but I don't know what they use now. The urethane sealer wasn't around back when I was having that done though.

As far as taking the windshield and back glass back out I did that a few times when I was working on it over the winter. The "it is best to lay the rubber out in the sun so it gets a bit soft and pliable is a seriously helpful suggestion" Using the right tools and taking your tie is the main thing.

If I had my druthers I'd never handle glass on my own rig again as that is way way down near of the bottom of the list on things I like to do. We have some competent glass shops in this area and I hope I can just take the truck down and say "there it is do it" when that time comes.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #13
joedoh

I just rebuilt the windshield on my 41, terrible project, I do not recommend starting with anything but I nice rust free frame.

anywho, originally it was set with glass tape, like your side windows. the new glass came with rubber tape, which might have fit if god held his tongue right. instead I used black urethane. I used thin spacers to keep the glass off the frame.

if you buy your black urethane in a tube make sure you warm it up over a heater register or with a heat gun, it will be a lot easier to pump out in a caulking gun.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
MARTINSR

And I HIGHLY recommend making a set of tools like I did out of screw drivers with different sized ball bearings welded to them. These suckers WORK really, REALLY good!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
Fred n' Ethel

Great tips everyone, thanks.
I'd considered putting a small strip, maybe 1/2" wide x 2" or so long saddled inthe channel in 3 places. At each end and in the middle to center the glass and keep it a little off of the bottom. Shoot a small bead in the bottom and set the glass. Trim it with a razor blade after it sets up good.
Glasss ships next week. Need to sand, epoxy prime and paint the pinchweld area in the meantime.
Thanks again to ALL for the advise, guidance and tips.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #16
_Ogre

i prefer installing glass myself, i've seen what a "real" glass shop can do to a classic vehicle
i'd put in the front/rear glass without any sealant, as long as the vehicles are stored inside, you be fine as frog hair
dawn dish soap mixed with a little water is the best lubricant i've found for glass and rubber keyways
looks like martinsr has a batch mixed up in the bowl, my buddy has the commercial version of the tools brian shows
yes, get/make them

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote