The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
clear-lake-gmc

ford smith hoist issues

hey folks i recently moved out to my girlfriends family farm we have a ford smith 2 post hoist here that was sitting for years not in use (like many things here) i have the shed cleaned up and we fired it up but one arm is a little behind the other almost one whole safety catch.

i imagine i should go through and drain everything and refill with aw32 oil (as recommended for cooler areas) i think whats in it now is just farm hydraulic oil, any ideas on why the one lags so bad? once it starts to move the slow arm moves at the same rate as the other just about 8 inches or so lower than the other.

ive googled but the model i have i cant find anything on it mine does not have chains or cables so i cant adjust anything its just 2 massive cylinders i believe the model is a tec9000.

if anyone has done a complete drain on a system (cylinders/lines/pump/reservoir) like this that is probably where i should start i will be using this hoist this winter and need a lighter weight in it anyways.
clear-lake-gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: ford smith hoist issues

I found this info on another site , Worth a try .

the problem could be two fold. one could be the seals in the cylinder could be going bad. the other could be the release valve could have trash in it. to fix the valve be sure and hit the up button and at the same time hit the release lever. this will flush the system out. the parts for this lift are very limited. if it is your cylinder leaking down you should be able to take it to a hydraulic shop and have them rebuild it. never use a lift without safety catches in use .It only has to fail once to kill you .

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/for...st-136184.html

https://www.sviinternational.com/pro...ith-lift-parts

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
clear-lake-gmc

Re: ford smith hoist issues

the hoist doesn't leak (on the floor) and it doesn't drop on its own the safety catches work, just when i fire it up the right arm engages immediately 3 to 4 seconds later the left starts to rise then they rise at the same rate so i think the seals are good, i imagine if a seal was gone one would rise/fall at a different slower rate, i have done the flush as recommended with the lever and release no difference.
clear-lake-gmc is offline   Reply With Quote