The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
nixitfixit1

Paint Job?

I am in the process of getting estimates for a new paint job. My problem is I want a good paint job and just dont know how to go about ensuring who to trust doing the work. Should I tear the truck down and bring them the peices or should I just let them tear the truck down and do it? I guess it all boils down to money but I am willing to do some of the work.
nixitfixit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
CharlesUFarley

Re: Paint Job?

To find someone trustworthy, you'll have to ask around. These forums are probably a great place to start. If 30 people say that Acme Body and Paint is the greatest thing since toilet paper, they're probably pretty good.

The next step would be to go talk to Acme and ask them if they want the truck in pieces or not. Ask if you could save some money by doing small things like that, but don't try to nickle and dime them to the point that they feel like your project isn't worth doing in timely fashion.

Expect to pay top dollar for top quality work...if that's what you expect. If you want the shop to adhere to a deadline, I would suggest signing a contract with them that has a completion date on it. That way, if they put you on the back burner for 8 months, you have legal recourse. I wouldnt suggest threatening to sue them 5 minutes after the deadline passes. You just want them to work dilligently on it until it's done. A progress payment system will help you not have a heart attack when you get the final bill and it will also keep them motivated to work on it.
CharlesUFarley is offline   Reply With Quote