The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #26
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Changed the oil, changed the plugs, primed the oil pump last night.

I pulled the valve covers and everything looked like new. No rust, corrosion anywhere.

I messed up the timing when I removed the distributor so that took me a while to get straight.
(I'm not super familiar with these old school engines)

It started up pretty well. Doesn't quite want to idle. Need to check the static timing with a light then adjust the idle if needed.

Since I know the engine is good, Ill go ahead and pull it and the trans so I can work on the suspension next.

https://youtu.be/mmRWcYVPsuQ

Last edited by cruizin01; 11-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #27
cruizin01

Removed all the necessary items from the engine last night to prep the engine removal. Got everything off the front of the engine, headers, carb, etc. The last thing to remove is the tcase. I'm borrowing an engine hoist from work and ordered a carb lifting plate. Hoping to get the engine pulled this weekend.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #28
LT7A

You did a lot of nice work a long time ago. Glad that you're able to re-utilize most of it. The progress on the new stuff looks good.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #29
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
You did a lot of nice work a long time ago. Glad that you're able to re-utilize most of it. The progress on the new stuff looks good.
I appreciate it. It was my dream at the time. Its funny how your dreams change over time. I think this will be just as cool but just different.

Today was a very productive day. I didn't get started early but I was still able to get more done than I had hoped.

My buddy was in town so he was able to help me get the engine and trans pulled out. It came out super easy with no issues.

Then this afternoon I set about pulling the front axle. I needed to support the truck obviously so I dragged out my quick jacks to use. They aren't ideal for this setup but with a couple blocks and some adjusting they worked just fine. The axle came out with no issues. No seized leaf shackle bolts or anything.

This afternoon I set about removing the 4wd parts that aren't needed. These rivets suck! I made the best of it by cutting crosses in them with the cut off wheel then air hammering them off. Not too terrible but not fun either. Got everything done.

Tomorrow I plan to set about making a template to drill the new holes for the subframe. I search around and several people mentioned that 2wd frames and 4wd frames have no similar holes except for the steering box. I was able to find an oblong hole about 4 inches behind the rear steering box holes that are the same on both frames. So I plan to use it for my template. Not exactly sure how Im gonna go about it yet. Ill think of it tonight. I plan to get the holes drilled and get the subframe mounted. Make sure everything is good there then pull it back off and repaint the front section of this frame.

If anyone has tips or comments feel free.

Im gonna be looking to sell the Dana 60 with crossover steering, the 14b ff, the NP205. The 8" leaf packs and the Rancho shocks. If anyone has any idea what this stuff is worth Id appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #30
cruizin01

Got the front subframe located today. Made a template out of a sheet of aluminum. It worked prefect on the drivers side. I tried using it on the pass side and the holes werent perfect but i made it work and the subframe is square to the frame and located correctly. I still need to drill the holes for the idler arm and locate the holes for the swaybar bracket. I also need to modify and relocate the front brake line where is passes through the frame.

Last edited by cruizin01; 11-20-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #31
cruizin01

Ordered the RideTech Street Grip kit today! Pretty excited.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #32
cruizin01

struggled tonight. feel like I went back a couple steps.

while mocking up the holes for the swaybar bracket I realized the 4x4 crossmember was gonna be in the way of the new swaybar from RideTech. So I decided I would try to fit the 2wd one. It doesn't fit the way it did with the 2wd frame. So then I thought maybe I could remove the 4x4 sway bar brackets and be able to reposition the 4x4 one. Its slightly better but is still gonna need some work. I also need to make sure the steering components aren't in the way if I move the crossmember an inch or two rearward. ugh.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #33
bluex

Very cool build man, I love the color you painted it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01 View Post
I appreciate it. It was my dream at the time. Its funny how your dreams change over time. I think this will be just as cool but just different.
This is so true, I've had my truck since I started driving at 16 (my dad bought it when I was about 13) and I have had so many different plans and ideas for it. I used to write out lists of stuff I wanted to do and when I look back over them now I wonder what the heck was I thinking
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #34
cruizin01

Got a few things done the past couple of days. The front crossmember became sort of a pain to get right. I decided to modify the 4x4 bracket versus trying anything different. I ended up just flattening the bottom of it and rewelding it which turned out fine.

I was going to prep the front end for paint but decided I should go ahead and run the brake lines from the mc to the proportioning block before painting. So I order a new block from summit and picked up a vette mc from Napa Saturday. I need to repaint the booster anyway so this will work out fine. I used copper nickel for the brake lines. Its a bit too bendy but I made it work. I would have never been able to make it out of one piece otherwise. Turned out ok. I hope it clears the headers without any problems. I realized after the fact the factory lines dont really run inside the rail but over top. At least from a few pictures Ive seen

Need to get the front end painted this week so I can get the susp back on. Hopefully the RideTech has shipped by now.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #35
cruizin01

Managed to get the front frame rails and crossmember, etc painted last night. Turned out fine.

Ridetech susp showed up yesterday! Everything looks top notch. Cant wait to start installing it this weekend. Hoping I have everything I need. Be nice to get the front of the truck back on the ground.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #36
cruizin01

Started on getting the suspension back together yesterday. Ran into a small snag with the lower balljoints. The Moog joints I got didn't fit snug into the lower control arms for some reason. I was able to find some supposed oversize ones from the local parts store. I wasn't confident in them either so I went ahead and tacked them in place. Worst case at some point Ill have to replace the lower arms.

The new delrin bushings went in nice, especially with the ridetech bushing tool. I did have to shim the upper control arm crossbars which they supply the parts for that.

The subframe bolted back in with no problem so i was able to start the reassembly of the parts. I was able to add some front caster since I had some new holes drilled in the lower control arm crossbars. I had drilled 2 in each one and I was only able to use the one closest to the stock hole because of the rear bushings coming to close to the subframe. I forget the exact measurements but it was whatever was recommended in the caster thread.

The upper spring plate supplied with the Ridetech kit fit kinda wonky but I think it will be fine. I talked to John @RT briefly about it.

I wasn't able to attach the new shocks yet as I can't get enough weight on the front to push the control arms up enough. It may have to wait until I get the engine back in.

Hoping to get the brakes on today and the steering in place, I need to do some work on my Audi so Id like to be able to push it out of the garage for the day.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #37
cruizin01

Managed to get the front end back on the ground Sunday. The old, new rotors I had went right on, with the painted calipers and new mounting bracket and hardware from Ridetech/CPP. Im running Porterfield R4S pads front and rear like I do on all my vehicles. Never used them on a truck before. Im sure they'll be fine.

The steering parts went on with no issues. I mounted the steering box and new pitman arm, then idler, center link and tie rods. I was then able to put the wheels and tires on it that I got with my parts truck. That was all I got done Sunday, just enough to push it outside to spend 6 hrs cleaning intake valves and replacing the tstat on my A3.

Still have the brake lines to attach and the sway bar to install. I need to drill the holes in the control arm and mount the frame brackets.

Hoping to be onto the rear here later on this week or weekend. It has a huge rake right now. Probably 10" easy.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #38
cruizin01

Few completed task this week.

Got the front sway bar hung and the brake lines bolted down. I somehow drilled the sway bar holes incorrectly initially but I fixed that fairly quickly. The front is done except for attaching the lower shocks once I get the engine and trans back in.

I also got the rear end removed. I still need to remove the rear shocks and all 4 leaf hangers. The front ones are huge and have a ton of rivets so thats gonna be a bear. The gas tank is very close to the left hanger as well. I wanted to work on that today but my wife isn't feeling well and the last thing she is gonna want to hear is a noisy air hammer.

So hopefully this week I can get the new hangers on so I can get the 12b under the truck.