The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Ursula's New Tires

Well the 83 has had 31x10.5R15 BFG A/T's on here for a year and a half, they had 1/2-3/4 tread left when they were installed at 12K miles, 2 of them are bald at 33K now. and the other two are worn on the outside. The truck's frame is bent a little more than 1/16" of an inch according to the 4-wheel alignment shop. If you ride behind the truck is dohwalks(rides a little sideways). So the tires wear unevenly.

Anyway, dad has been wanting to see what 33's would look like on his 83, so I have showed him tons of pics. He isnt good with picturing it lol. So a sub contractor who works for dad told us about this used tire place in Benson(20mi). So I Googled it Saturday and dad called, they were open another hour and a half. So we hauled arse down there.

We got there and the guy met us outside of the WAREHOUSE and we went it and looks at the used 31+ tires. So he walked away so dad and I could talk. We looked he had a 1/4 tread set of BFG A/T's (31x10.5) for $175 mounted and balanced. All of the 33's were either bald or mud tires.

Dad asked about wheels and he showed us a set of old Turbines(yes!) that were 15x10(4"BS) with 1/4 tread 33x12.5 Dick Cepeks on em. He wanted $400 for them with the tires, so we mount one up on the front and it rubbed more than dad liked. I asked about just the rims and he said $250(sweet!).

While we had been looking at the stacks of tired I saw a stack sort of hidden so I read them and 33x9.5R15! They are 3 of the same and one oddball. All off brand all terrain type tires with 1/3 tread or more left! He said $250 mounted and balanced. So we got one m&b'd and tested it to see if it rubbed, not even close.

So he told be to back it up and pull it into the bay. GRIND! The wheel was grinding or something. So after 10 minutes of back and forth and thinking everything. We pull it gently into the bay. He takes the 33 off and the caliper has a grind mark in it and so does the rim. What the hell? So he turn and sees a 3/4" piece of 3/4" copper pipe. I said, "the turbines!" The turbines have a larger lug opening so some genius put pieces of copper pipe in each lug hole to make the hold smaller so he wouldn't have to get bigger lugnuts. We were all dumbfounded and laughing hysterically.

So, they got em all mounted up. We drove home and heard 3 distinct click/thumps. Like something flew off of the tires. So we pulled over twice and couldn't figure it out when all of a sudden! BAZINGA! I said, "its the lead weights!" Yup. Apparently they didn't pinch the rim hard enough and flew off. The tires/truck feels fine. We havent gone to get them re-balanced.

I'd like to buy that set of turbines.

Here's a few before pictures with the bald 31x10.5's(28-29" tall).

And after. Oh, yesterday dad got his wheels/new tires detailed. His wheels need to be taken to a truck shop with the big rig industrial wheel polishing equipment. Because of the scratches and stuff.

The truck sits around 3"-5" higher now. Dad wants me to install his SmittyBilt tube steps now more than ever. Now theere is no worrying about hitting the hitch when we pull out of a dipped driveway or tow a heavy load!

EDIT: I will also be pulling all of the wheels off eventually to paint the hubs and drums black so it doesn't contrast like the rust color now.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Ursula's New Tires

Did the weights pop off the front? When you said the one set of wheels rubbed the caliper,which it shouldn't do,it made me wonder what shape the ball joints are in. I had a set of tires mounted on my '90 Blazer (12.50/33). They told me they wouldn't fit because the weights on the inside hit the tie rod end. Well,this was the third set installed the same size,so I knew that was BS. I had them jack it up and yep,the ball joints were worn out. So,I told them to mount them up and I'd bring them back for balancing after I replaced the ball joints in a day or two.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote