The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
NEWFISHER

Thumbs up My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

We found ourselves leaving our hounds at home more than we wanted to during the summer cruises, car shows etc and I started looking for an A.D. truck. We were selling the 55 wagon that I built (way to nice of interior to haul dogs in) and I stumbled onto a partially restored, non running Suburban from AZ. Via Bellingham Wa. I asked the owner if she might be interested in a fully restored road trip proven drive anywhere 55 Chevy wagon and she wanted to trade. We loaded up and headed to Bellingham to check out the Burb, made the trade and pocketed some cash to boot. I spent the first few months getting it running, driving, installing all of the seats and dash items, painless harness and polishing the 10 years of "sitting" dust from it. I found a grille guard for it and some other cool trinkets. Here it is by the end of September this year and about when I found this forum.

I ordered a drop axle from Sid att www.droppedaxles.com and just returned into the house from nearly completeing it today. This months plans are to drop it 4 to 5 inches with Sids kit and mabey pull a couple leafs from the new 8 stack packs. Change the " cannot get parts for it " Dana 45 to a 69 2wheel drive chevy truck rear ( which I did today)and convert it to a 700r4 with a tall Lokar shifter.

My plans were to find an older patina truck, clean it up and drive it while I was spending the December weekends working on the Burb so I could still have a pre 60 truck todrive back and forth on my 70 mile commute. I picked up a 59 appache http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548089

Then mid clean up, I found a completely rebuilt 250 six with all of the cool guy mods. Big cam, shaved head, flat tops, behive z28 springs, 202 intakes, HEI, cast ceramic headers, Clifford 6=8 with a Holley 4bbl, high flow water pump etc and had to have it. Adam, the owner had just built an engine run stand and with the help of the machine shop, broke it in. I threw the apache on 3bay and craigslist and within a day had it sold. Bam....engine money. You could swap 2 V8s into a truck for what a full tilt 225hp 250 six cost, but I think the sixes are too cool for school and had to own it. I should be finished with the front and rear axles tomorrow and will start on the engine /700r4 swap next Friday after work. The Burb ought to be able to move out pretty good with the posi 3:73 rear and haul the trailer a little better with the added H.P.!
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Divine 59

Re: My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

Where is the "like" button!?! Your dogs better hold on for dear life when you get all that work done!
Divine 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
_Ogre

after looking at this suburban as your avatar for 2 months it's nice to be formally introduced
nice find on the hot 6 when do we get to see it?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
**grumpy**

Awesome!
I have a soft spot for AD burbs, obviously.
We miss the baresteel 53 we built a few years ago.

But lets talk airstream....
I, too, have one. We have a 63 Globetrotter.

Great combo! Your burb is nice and will only be better with a altitude adjustment.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
NEWFISHER

Thanks Divine
Ogre, at first I couldn't find an intro section and wanted to start a build thread when I started back in on it. I was in such a hurry this summer to get the thing on the road to catch a couple late cruises that I didnt have much time for a build thread.....I was just building!

Grumpy, I was Chasing the "bare metal clamshell" over a year ago on the Hamb,lost it, found this one , found this forum and saw your bare steele 53 and LOVED IT! I know most of you will probobly stop following this build if I did this, but I have actually thought of stripping the paint off of this one and going bare metal. 1) I love the industrial look 2) this thing has virtually no filler in it. My wife would kill me, so it will probobly stay painted.
Our trailer is a 60 Avion. I tried to find a super clean unrestored airstream, but couldn't. They all needed something. Jumped on the Avion out of Missoula Montana. We spent most of last years weekends in it. The truck/camper is now mothballed after my wife and hounds fell in love with having a lot more room to get out of the weather in the trailer, especially after making them camp in the teardrop (restored 1945 KIT Mfg.) behind the 55 wagon

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Jyman

You have some amazing looking auto's and I love that little trailor you have in the pictures.

2000 Chevy Extreme lowrider, 4.3, NV3500, 3.08 rear, upgraded/modded

2001 GMC Sonoma Zr2, 4.3, NV3500, Stock
Jyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
**grumpy**

Cool avion!
In my profile page here, my bare burb is parked next to our old 63 avion.
We sold it not long after selling the burb, due to plant closure and job loss.

My wife has always wanted a airstream, but as you said, theyre crazy $$$$

Well, as the saying goes, right place at right time.
My wife was riding along with me one day in my work truck, which she shouldnt be doing..
Then I was out in BFE for a job, and hit a detour, taking me even farther off beaten path.
As Im going down this road, she yelled...LOOK!! Old old airstream camper.

So she begged me to turn around and drive past slow.
I gave in and did so.
All we could see is front, so couldnt tell how long it was etc. And as everyone knows, the shorter they are the more they cost.

She worked me over pretty good asking if Id knock on the door and inquire.
I gave in again and pulled in.
Sat with truck idling, waiting for dogs to come running. When none did, I slowly walked to front door, knocked and waited.
This lady answered and I asked if the camper may be forsale? As I could see then it was a 19' globetrotter of 60s vintage, but...
sadly neglected and sunk in ground.
She says..Well, actually, I just told my boyfriend I was going to sell it.
He didnt want her too because he used it to play his guitar and smoke weed!

Anyway, because it was her Ex's, and she didnt want to look at it, she'd sell.

So we looked at it pretty good. Great bones. very solid. No dents. Interior intact and solid. Just neglected and dirty everywhere.
So having spent years looking for a Bambi, Caravell, Globetrotter, I know what they sell for, even in bad bad shape.
So I ask: Any idea what you would want for it?
She says, well, ya know, it is old. I know these old things sell for alot of money, so if I sell it, Id have to have 2500....

I almost fell down. I had 600 on me and wifey wanted to give deposit right then.
Me being me, I said, Ok, let us talk it over and I'll call tomorrow.

So we leave, and the whole way down this road, Im getting the "eye"...lol
That was at 330pm. I dropped wifey at home, took truck back to shop, and called lady on way home.
I said, can I come at 6pm and get it? she said yep, if you have cash. No checks.
I said Cool, see ya at 6.
I get home, and wife is still salty. She has to work at 5, and I drop her at work.
Last thing she said as she gets out of burb is, Call her please!!!!

I left there, went to the ladys house, had to put my 99 burb in 4lo to unearth the camper, put tires held air, lights all worked...woohoo.

I drag it home, park it next to garage and go in house.

My 19yr old daughter goes to pick my wife up at 1030pm from work, and as she pulled in driveway, she said my wife SCREAMED OMG he bought it!

That was a week before Laborday weekend. Our 20th wedding annv was Sept.5th, Laborday weekend...
Score one for me!!!

She spent 10hrs a day cleaning it, and we camped at a 3day weekend carshow over laborday.
Then again at a weekend show the first weekend of Oct.

Its safely in indoor storage for winter now. No more outdoor storage or neglect for that little camper. She loves that thing.

Its not fully restored or even fully polished, but that will come.
But bought me at least a years worth of brownie points!

Sorry for the long post...lol
Old 12-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
**grumpy**

Here it is from Oct, along with the 69 Scotty camper I bought for my 16yr old son. His first vintage toy.

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
NEWFISHER

Great story! You son has a great start with a Scotty. Here's a better pic of the Avion. Its neat to here you guys had one, not many out there anymore.

And a cool burb shot at Billetproof

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Highsider

Thanks, guys.
Love the stories and photos.
I never paid attention to Burbs, until Newfisher joined the board.
Really getting into it. We camp, so the trailers just add spice!
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
mknittle

Verry cool i love the dog part!
Funny I cant remember seeing any burbs around here older than early 60s.
love the burb and the trailers

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by **grumpy** View Post
Here it is from Oct, along with the 69 Scotty camper I bought for my 16yr old son. His first vintage toy.

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
the scotty is the perfect size. both are really cool though

My GMC build.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
mknittle

Sorry for the long post...lol[/quote]

great story Tim, It makes the trailer more interesting!

My GMC build.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
mknittle

this one is my favorite! It am a big fan of monochrome photographs!I looks like you lean towards the dark side as i do on my black and whites.

My GMC build.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Newfisher,
VERY nice Suburban. I love that you're going with the straight 6!

Hey, since you'll have it all apart anyway have you considered putting Teflon between the leaves while the'yre apart? I have always heard it makes a huge difference in ride quality.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
wood1

Nice pics. And nice Suburban.. Love the visor, looks like one of the more rare model Fultons?? Looking forward to seeing that thing lowered!!
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Verry cool i love the dog part!
Funny I cant remember seeing any burbs around here older than early 60s.
love the burb and the trailers
I was after a truck and when we stumbled on the Suburban my wife says " now the dogs won't get stollen, wet or jump out when we are parked or driving". They now each have their own seat and go everywhere. We go on the weekends or after work. Kids are grown and gone , but still dealing with drool.

Dan.....the leaves are brand new 8 pack, military wrapped stockers. It rides really nice now, but I have played around with those "discs" before on a couple rgs and they do work well.

Headed out to finish up the install today. Should have some altitude adjustment pics later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Can't wait to see the pix.

Just fyi, I wasn't referring to the Teflon disc's or "pucks" ala Posie's Super Sliders - though I'd love to have them, just not at $500 a crack. I was talking about the bulk Teflon sheet you cut to fit. I don't know who sells it anymore but heard good things back in the day when keeping the leaves was more common.

Now get to work. Us guys sitting on their butts need something to look at!! ha ha.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
NEWFISHER

Haha "get to work"

had a late start, too many birthdays and the whole jump up ,crawl on the florr, lift this push that game yesterday was killing my back, ok no excuses.....I slept in. Got started on it about 10:30. Made rear brake lines, replaced all other rubber ones, packed and set bearings, installed new shoes, hardware and cyls up front. Rear stuff was new last week, I had to keep occupied on the lunch hours rebuilding the 10 bolt. Installed all of the zerk fittings on the upgraded steering tie rods and the backside of the spindles for the king pins. Bleed the brake system and replaced a blown brake light (the only one I have ). Pulled a tape across the front tires and checked the toe. Pulled a tape across the back axle to make sure it was squared to the frame and centered in the wheel openings. Adjusted the pinion at 3 degrees and burned in the saddles. Retorqued the u bolts front and rear and basically just put a hand on everything. Filled the rear diff with oil,adjusted the steering arm to center the wheel and backed out about 2pm. Took it for a 4 hour test drive and stop by all my buddies houses to show it off hehe

The 68 2x 1/2 ton 10 bolt worked out perfect. It has auto brake adjusters, ebrake cables that will adapt fairly easy and the same pinion yoke/ujoint as the original dana 45 that came out. Overall WMS is 1/2 wider,so 1/4 each side. I still have 3 1/4 inches from the tire to the fender lip.

Driving around was so different than before! The tapered bearing upgrade smoothed out any noise or vibration through the column. The old ball and socket steering joints were so loose I thought it was my box before the upgraded ball joint style tie rod upgrade, no steering box needed now. The old rr was 3:08, the new is 3:73 which will be perfect for the 700r4 swap, but until then its like a go cart! Zippy and plenty of power on the freeway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
**grumpy**

Looks great!

Glad someone is motovated....

My wife got me on Instagram, and I spent the entire day playing on it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #21
NEWFISHER

Instagram? That sounds too much like pintrest. LOL
Quick, walk out into the garage and say something mechanical, grab a tool and repeat after me...." I love working on my cars, I have more tools than recipies, grease gas and gear oil make me happy"
You'll feel better tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #22
**grumpy**

Im all against FB etc.
tell my wife and kids FB will be the end of civilization....

But instagram is kinda cool. Basicly nothing but pics. You can follow badass fabricators and builders from all over country.
And people can follow you, if you add pics of anything worth-while...lol

But I did look out the window towards the garage awhile ago. Truck still resting quietly...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #23
NEWFISHER

That sounds better than the name, I'm against fb too and share the same thoughts.
Instagram wouldn't work for me, I am HORRIBLE about taking pics as you can tell, 2 photos with tech in this thread ...one yesterday after I yanked out the rear end and one tonight showing the tire clearance with a 10 bolt. Its more about progress on a project as a whole and when I'm greasy, the last thing I'm going to do is stick my hand in my pocket to get my phone and snap a pic, most of what I'm doing I learned here or on the hamb, so tech pics on my build are kinda redundant. I can't wait to start tearing back into it Friday night to swap the new motor and the 700r4. I'm driving it every day this week to work, getting it aligned, rechecking the bearings, adjusting brakes etc and am going to try to have the whole conversion done by Sunday. I may have to pull the seats out and just sleep in it to get it all done!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

Wow that looks great. You got more done in a day than a lot of us (well, me anyway) get done in a month!

You've installed a drop axle or just pulled some leaves? Maybe I missed your mention of either(?) With the top of the front tire tucked like that (perfect) , do you experience any rubbing? Sorry for so many questions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
NEWFISHER

Thanks Dan, I work 50 hours a week 35 miles from home, so I have to plan ahead on the weekends and don't have much margin for error as The shop that I can use allows me to work on stuff, but it has to roll out for Monday.

Its a Sid's www.droppedaxles.com set up. 4.5 inches front and 4 inches rear. All leaf packs are new and OE style 8 leaves per pack. No rubbing, even entering an exiting driveways with full turn. It's perfect for a DD. It has about a 1 inch rake to it and I think its due to the rear leaf packs being slightly stiffer for hauling, plus the 1/2 difference in static drop. Looks way better in person than on my cell camera. If you go with the drop axle, make sure you upgrade to the taper bearings and the tie rod style steering joints.....HUGE difference in driving, handling etc.