The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #26
LEEVON

Re: Do you make eye contact or not?

I have noticed an increase of these guys around me since I got my Challenger. They just cannot wrap their mind around why a fast-looking car would be going a reasonable speed. It's almost as if they're behind me it's a ticket to be a jerk. I have gotten followed to work, swerved at, flipped off etc. One guy even got out of his van (seems like it's always a work van) and came at me. Hey bud I know your boss, nice job haha!!! I drive very normally, it's the car. I say you have to look at them, don't escalate but let them know you won't be intimidated and get a description (might need that). And then there are the ones who want to "race". Ummm...no thank you, I am trying to get to work in one piece and avoid a trip to county, there is no reason to prove that your Astro Van is slower than my car. For crying out loud. Of course, in the Challenger if I need to put some distance between these morons, I can real quick ; )
Old 10-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #27
In The Ten Ring

"The kind of acceleration you may never use, until that one time on the road." Youtube video from the 1972 review of the Olds 442 W30.

I guess there are crazy people everywhere Leevon. Congrats on your nice ride. You'd think in carry states such as MO, people wouldn't try to pick fights.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 10-02-2016 at 06:36 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

I always called them Left Lane Lovers. They don't bother me any more because I'm usually in the right lane, except to pass. The speed limit on I-70 is 70 now and I do 60 in my '72 and usually about 65 in my '95.

When someone honks at me because they are being impatient or otherwise excited over nothing (basically, being annoying), I do ignore them... No eye contact, just stare forward as if they don't exist.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-03-2016 at 05:05 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #29
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

The left laners are so bad on the road I travel to work that I usually get in the right lane and it is open for passing. When it changes to a three lane road that right lane is almost always open unless rush hour traffic has gotten bad. I don't mind people doing the speed limit but I think it best that they stay in the right lane as much as possible.

You know now that so many people are texting and driving, eye contact is almost a thing of the past. So many people have their eyes plastered to their phones rather than taking care of the business of driving. It's getting crazy.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
You know now that so many people are texting and driving, eye contact is almost a thing of the past. So many people have their eyes plastered to their phones rather than taking care of the business of driving. It's getting crazy.
I know what you mean. I had to honk my horn, almost swerve into him, and scream "HEY!!!" out the window at the top of my lungs to get this guy to stop looking at his phone so I could give him the finger

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #31
Kenfuzed

Left laners? I think I've only heard that when visiting places like Washington state. Here in California all lanes are fair game, but I recall there being a law where drivers in the left/fast lane of a freeway must yield and allow faster traffic to pass. Might actually be if the faster vehicle flashes his high beams... but don't quote me on that. Using the left lane as a passing only lane wouldn't work in most of California, there are just too many cars for that to work. It's bad enough they are taking away a lane in most areas of SoCal and making them FastPass (toll) lanes which are empty when the main line is packed.

Tailgating is a huge problem here but I can relate to the comments about Prius drivers as we have TONS of them here. It almost seems like these Prius drivers are purposely driving slow thinking they are saving the world by not accelerating. If driving my larger truck I keep my high beams on behind them rather than tailgate, which lets them know "big truck behind you, might think about getting out of the way". Generally I'm not worried that a Prius driver is going to rage on me or pull a gun, they are more concerned with finding the next tree to hug.

When getting tailgated I have a few different responses depending on the situation.
Older tailgator: I make eye contact, then wave and smile uncontrollably like I'm a special needs kid which completely throws them off. They think something is wrong with me and go away.
Soccer moms in their mini vans: I'll make eye contact and give them an exaggerated wink. For the ones that start off with a finger gesture, I'll respond with an explicit mouth gesture as if I'm eating a hot dog. Sometimes taking someone from angry to disgusted is the perfect way to get them to go away
Younger guy drivers who are seeking to use up some extra testosterone: No eye contact or I'll just act oblivious.
Gang bangers and thugs (L.A. has plenty): I do whatever I can to avoid any contact. There is usually no reasoning or tactic for this bunch. I had a friend years ago who use to flash a security badge at thugs to put them in check, but in this day and age where blue lives don't matter it would probably get you killed.

I ride a motorcycle as well which takes on a whole new meaning when it comes to tailgators or those who rage because they are stuck in traffic and a bike is able to pass them. Lane splitting and riding in the carpool lanes is legal here which infuriates some drivers. I've had doors opened on me on the freeway, drivers try to edge me out of a lane or even attempt to block my path or brake check me. I can't speak for the younger sport bike riders but I'm just trying to get where I'm going alive. When I encounter an oblivious or texting driver I tend to high rev with the sound of my loud Harley pipes to snap them out of their haze. For anyone who encounters motorcycle riders, just remember we share the road too but a bike is no match for a car or truck. Bikers have families too and "I didn't see him" is not an excuse in court for killing a person.

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #32
jjzepplin

SO what some of you guys are saying= You are getting frustrated with people who drive the speed limit? That is ridiculous. Slow down and leave early.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #33
Cape Codder

Some people just get the idea that rules are for others and don't apply to them. I know where I live when the light turns green I still need to wait till the other traffic decides to stop. Speed limits have become nothing more than a suggested speed to most. As far as highway driving I find staying in the right lane and travelling the posted speed doesn't take that much longer on most trips and is a lot more relaxing and stress free than joining the left lane race.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #34
jjzepplin

Thank you! Eye contact at the speed limit is so much nicer! I met my current wife driving very safely. Long story.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

All that is really being said, and rules of the road are universal, is faster to the left and slower to the right. It's really simple and even i nLos Angeles it would help the traffic flow much better. In stand still bumper to bumper stop and go? No, obviously everyone is doing the same thing. In flowing traffic? Yes, it is obviously the simplest , best, and correct way to drive. I think the problem is many on the road today mostly know multi-lane driving. My dad commented on that many years ago. At first it was all two lane and to pass meant going over into the opposing lane of traffic. you really thought about making that move because the consequences were bad for any vehicle involved...including the one who made the risky move. So, in a self-centered Mr. In a hurry would have to consider his own safety. With multi-lane nothing has changed, it's still keep right except to pass. It used to be illegal (doesn't seem to be now) to pass on right here in MD, unless vehicle is turning left or is impeding the flow of traffic. So, the vehicle in the left lane doing the speed limit in a world where most go at least a bit over, is impeding the flow of traffic forcing drivers to pass on right. Cars didn't even have right side mirrors except as an option for decades. That should tell you something there. Speeding is also illegal, but not the job of citizens to control. We have police go on aggressive driver incentives for those lane hopper, tailgating, drive like the road is theirs types. But, they acknowledge that the passive drivers who are sticking in the left lane and not moving over because they are doing the limit are a cause of this dangerous and reckless driving. They also issue tickets to those types. It's not your job to slow others down. But you can sure make some cuts like a knife eye contact!

Tim

Old 10-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #36
jjzepplin

So am I the danger or the fella on my rear bumper? It's also not your job to speed me up. If I have to wait for the cops to slow you down= then you have to wait for them to speed me up.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #37
Cape Codder

My MIL used to commute from west of Boston to the Cape on weekends to her beach house. She would always go the longer rt. that was 4 lanes two each way rather than the shorter rt. with 6 lanes. I asked why she did this and she said the trucks on the 6 lane always tailgated her. I asked if she drove in the center lane and she said all the time. I then explained how trucks are not allowed in the left lane and the center is their passing lane. She had no idea that is why they road her bumper.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

No one has the right to speed you up. When I get someone trying to push me up the road I always think "You should have left earlier, you'd be in front of me". If someone tailgates, that is dangerous. I feel the only thing to do is slow down to make it safer. When they don't get the hint I slow down more, might even stop. That's on a 2-lane. But, if I'm in the left lane passing when someone comes rolling up on me like I only have the right to pass if I go their speed, I just carry on until I'm the proper distance beyond the vehicle I'm overtaking, put on my signal, get over, and let them fly. I call them decoys. Let them get the ticket. I just hope they don't jamb up the road with an accident. like I said though, I'm the guy in the right lane these days. I get 2-3 mpg better. That's 90 miles to a tank and I'm not late wherever I go.

Tim

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #39
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I used to wear a ball cap all the time in my pickup. When I would get someone tailgating me I would make sure my cap was slightly tilted and start gradually swerving until they got the idea I may be drunk. They would then back off to a safer distance I would carry on. Now days you can't do that with the cell phones, all it takes is one person to call 911 and you have a cop pulling you over. Last time they pulled me the officer asked "you drinking" I said "you buying?" we laughed and laughed. I had to call for bail money.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #40
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
I used to wear a ball cap all the time in my pickup. When I would get someone tailgating me I would make sure my cap was slightly tilted and start gradually swerving until they got the idea I may be drunk. They would then back off to a safer distance I would carry on. Now days you can't do that with the cell phones, all it takes is one person to call 911 and you have a cop pulling you over. Last time they pulled me the officer asked "you drinking" I said "you buying?" we laughed and laughed. I had to call for bail money.
I've turned in every possibly intoxicated driver I've gotten behind. If possible, I follow until police can show up. Have you ever done that tactic in NC, WV, or VA?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #41
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
...if I'm in the left lane passing when someone comes rolling up on me like I only have the right to pass if I go their speed...
This is the problem. In my opinion, the vast majority of what people are calling, "left-laners" are passing someone, just not as fast as the tail-gater behind them would like. I'm sure there are some folks that just forget they are in the left lane, but I think that's much more rare than the folks who are there on purpose, at or above the speed limit, passing a line of cars in the right lane, and not willing to weave in and out to do it.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #42
JON67
Lootie Stole My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
So am I the danger or the fella on my rear bumper? It's also not your job to speed me up. If I have to wait for the cops to slow you down= then you have to wait for them to speed me up.
If you are passing fine. pass then get back over to the right. if you are driving in the left lane at or slightly above speed limit and not passing. what is called camping. you are impeding the flow of traffic and are absolutely just as dangerous as the tailgater. You will also get a ticket as it is against the law to drive in the left lane unless passing. At least in most states.
JON67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #43
jjzepplin

I can see there are two schools here. Have you ever been next to a vehicle speeding and passing at an unsafe speed? I say unsafe because their tire blew out and they swerved over into my lane and then back over and began rolling end over end and was ejected from the vehicle. Both were a total loss. SOO maybe I will live longer if you all just slow down a bit. It's not a race. Just because your vehicle can go that fast doesn't mean you have to. My truck can go pretty fast pretty quick. I am also not THAT guy that sits in the left lane. I would welcome the ticket for going the speed limit though. Would be fun to see how that works out. The speed limit here is 75MPH. That's pretty fast already. Most people run about 85MPH. That's ridiculous for sustained periods. I sit over in the right lane and watch tires blow and idiots flipping each other off. I still say leave early and relax.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #44
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I can see there are two schools here. Have you ever been next to a vehicle speeding and passing at an unsafe speed? I say unsafe because their tire blew out and they swerved over into my lane and then back over and began rolling end over end and was ejected from the vehicle. Both were a total loss. SOO maybe I will live longer if you all just slow down a bit. It's not a race. Just because your vehicle can go that fast doesn't mean you have to. My truck can go pretty fast pretty quick. I am also not THAT guy that sits in the left lane. I would welcome the ticket for going the speed limit though. Would be fun to see how that works out. The speed limit here is 75MPH. That's pretty fast already. Most people run about 85MPH. That's ridiculous for sustained periods. I sit over in the right lane and watch tires blow and idiots flipping each other off. I still say leave early and relax.
Wow! You saw an MVA with ejection? That is wild. "Where was the dash cam when you needed it" right?

I was told by my fire chief "if they are not wearing the seat belt and they roll, chances are they will be ejected."

I found once I slowed down to 55 mph for cruising speeds that not only did I see an average 25% mileage increase, I also had a much calmer drive, compared to when I was cruising at 70 to 75 mph. I had much more reaction time also. I very rarely get into the passing lane and I get there as fast as anyone else.

Local sheriff got behind me the other day in a work zone. Same work zone where the guy flicked me off. He didn't tailgate though. Once the work zone ended, I sped up to the posted limit (55 mph) and he sped past, only to be caught by the light. I eased up next to him and looked over. He did not look at me but I recognized him (we've shot competitions together before and we know each other somewhat). So not only did the Chief Law Enforcement officer for the area break the law, he also ran out more gas just so he could stop and wait.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #45
Deer_hunter_088

I admit ive tailgated before ( was acctually running my mom to the hospital) but i had my flashers on and was well life or death. think on one straight away i hit 100, but it was life or death (we tought she was having a heart attack, and i was the only one close enough to get there) but half way into my hour journey, the ambulance met us and she got moved to that, so i drove the rest running about 60-65 down the higway. would slow down and wait though if i came to traffic. my moms okay.

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #46
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
If someone is tailgating you, you are impeding traffic and should move over and let them by. It's the law in many States and de-escalates the apparent "road rage" y'all are experiencing.
The far left lane is a passing lane. If you're in this lane & someone rapidly approaches from behind, you should move over (even if doing the speed limit). The left lane is intended for passing slower traffic.

If there are more than two lanes & you're not in the passing/left lane, you do not need to change lanes..... they do.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #47
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
I admit ive tailgated before ( was acctually running my mom to the hospital) but i had my flashers on and was well life or death. think on one straight away i hit 100, but it was life or death (we tought she was having a heart attack, and i was the only one close enough to get there) but half way into my hour journey, the ambulance met us and she got moved to that, so i drove the rest running about 60-65 down the higway. would slow down and wait though if i came to traffic. my moms okay.
Your story is one of the reasons I pull over and let the guy in a hurry get on down the road. One never knows their reasons.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:03 AM   #48
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Around here the worst offenders hogging the left lane are the people driving a Prius usually driving under the speed limit and holding traffic back which is illegal too. According to a State Trooper friend of mine it is illegal in Ga to impede traffic in the left lane even if you are over the speed limit ,he says pass and get over which I do.
Sounds like South FL. Prius owners are the slowest around. Its hard not to tailgate them in the fast lane.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote