The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #301
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

More progress? That was optimistic. I am NOT a fan of CalTracs after wrestling with these ill-designed pieces of **** for several hours in 90-degree heat. Details here.

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #302
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Got a package from UPS today. Calvert Racing (maker of the CalTracs) located, purchased, modified, powdercoated, and shipped two new hangers at their own expense. I'll stop complaining immediately -- great service, even though I still don't understand how they sold these CalTracs in the first place. New one is in front; you can see how the opening is squared rather than rounded as in the old one (rear). Guess I know what I'll be doing ASAP!

In other news, most of my bed is in primer and the shop is clamoring for more parts. Need to get the cab up there soon! (Sorry, no pics yet!)
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #303
local13hutch

Hey guy I just checked out your thread for the first time and man I have got to say that is one lucky truck most people wouldnt have the heart to bite off that much rust and everything else repair you have done an awsome job and I see your helper is hangen in there every step of the way.. I have my kids envolved in my work also...You know he will be driving soon so has he told you what color he wants you to paint his truck yet...LOL...I have three boys that all drive cherry 72 trucks and I have been working on my truck for over five years and every time it gets close it seems my parts end up on there trucks...Great thread keep us posted.....jmtcw?...local13hutch....
72 3/4 ton sub 4x4
61 morris minor pickup, chevy 4.3 v6
03 escalade, 24" momo's wifes
96 2wd 2door tahoe
67 2wd suburban
72 4wd k5 99 vortec 14bolt/d60 205/th400- 72 4wd crewcab 1 ton sb cummins allison -2012 2ss camaro black hard top- 8 yamaha quads- 05 4wd one ton duramax dually, family limo.
local13hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #304
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Thanks, Hutch! Had I known then what I know now about the project, I don't think I would ever have taken it on. Ultimately the only things from the original truck that will live on are the bare frame (not even the front crossmember!), the rear axle, and the VIN tag/title. That reminds me ... I wonder where I put the VIN tag from the old cab?

It's been a great project, but in retrospect I would have been a lot further ahead just waiting for my divorce to be final and buying my older trucks back from my dad instead of moving ahead with this one. It just snowballed (as I think they all do to an extent) and next thing you know, well, here I am.

Last edited by brossow; 08-26-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #305
matthew20061
69' Chevy Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
That reminds me ... I wonder where I put the VIN tag from the old cab?
Haha, mines still in the glove box after the cab switch really need to attach it again being that I'm almost calling it finished. Dang it found another thing to do...
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan, Full Frame off Restoration done myself - 6.0L with T56 six speed
-1957 Chevy BelAir 2 Door Post Sedan - Nearly rust free AK car, Project in the waiting
-2003' Chevy Silverado SS AWD 6.0L! - Daily Driver
matthew20061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #306
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

EDIT: The pieces Calvert sent back still didn't fit, but they've since made it right as I'll explain in a subsequent post. Previous rant removed.

Last edited by brossow; 09-05-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #307
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

I'm not sure where to even begin with this update on the CalTracs. I guess I'll start at the end and say that they are now installed and look fantastic; I expect they'll perform just as well.

Now, picking up where we left off.... Last time I posted, I had a rant about how Calvert had sent back hangers that STILL didn't fit right. That was a week ago last Friday. I freely admit it baffles the hell out of me how they could have everything at their disposal, go to great lengths to secure and modify hangers for me, and STILL not send me something that fit right.

So I fired off an email when I discovered the problem last Saturday. While everything LOOKED good, the pivots still didn't fit up into the hangers. I followed up with a phone call this past Monday, telling them that if they couldn't have something that worked properly in my hands by Friday (yesterday) then they might as well send UPS with a call tag and just give me my money back. Instead, what they offered to do was send UPS with a call tag for the hangers they had modified that still weren't right. They would fix them up and ship them back by Friday. Sounded good to me, so I said no problem and they ordered the call tag while I was still on the phone.

I got a call back a short while later. The call tag they had ordered would only be for UPS Ground, but they wanted the parts back ASAP, so they gave me their shipper number and asked me to send the hangers back overnight air at their expense. (I can only imagine what that must have cost!) I dropped the box off at UPS at 6:15 Monday night and it was in California by 3:30 the next morning. Calvert made some more modifications to the hangers, then sent them out the same day, again overnight air, along with a different style of pivot that offered more clearance as well as two more sets of bars of different lengths just in case I needed them because of the slightly different pivots. They called me to give me the tracking number and to let me know the package would be on my doorstep by noon on Wednesday. And again, this was 100% at their own expense.

That evening when I came home there was a note on the door that UPS had been there with a call tag but no one was home to give them the package. WTF? So I called Calvert and they told me the call tag they ordered yesterday must not have been canceled but not to worry about it. Okay, no problem.

So Wednesday morning I got up and went to work as usual. Checked the tracking status and saw that the package was delivered at 9:18 AM and left at my front door. Cool! But when I got home, the box was nowhere to be found. I circled the house several times, checked with all the neighbors, etc. Nada. And I'm in a safe, quiet neighborhood AND there was another unrelated package waiting for me, so I knew it hadn't been stolen. Had it been delivered to the wrong address? It was a mystery! So I called UPS's toll-free number, told them the situation, and waited for a call back from the local depot. While I waited, I circled the house one more time and I found the remnants of a call tag lying on the ground near some bushes by my front door. I didn't pay much attention, thinking it was just left over from the notice that had been stuck to my door the day before.

I got a call back from the local depot and they were still trying to get in touch with the driver who had delivered the package that morning. Great. So no one even knows where this package was supposedly left? After I got off the phone with them, I did some more thinking. I looked again at the call tag remnants I had found earlier and it struck me: the main label was missing! Finally I was sure I knew what had happened to the package, and a quick online check of that tracking number confirmed I was right. While one UPS driver had dropped it off at 9:18 AM, another had come and slapped a call tag on it three hours later and took it away before anyone but the mailman had even seen the package.

It was after business hours by the time I realized what had happened, but I jumped in the car and hurried to the local UPS depot anyway, knowing that there are people around there 24/7 and thinking maybe I could intercept it before it left the building. After an hour and a half of looking around, the supervisor making phone calls to the Twin Cities hub, calls to the national number, etc. it was decided that most likely the package had already left on a trailer bound for St. Paul. It's important to note that this was around 8:30 PM and the package had been scanned in but there was no departure scan. I thought that was strange but figured they knew what they were doing. The supervisor called the St. Paul hub again and I was told that they would intercept the package there and turn it around back to Mankato by early the next morning.

I woke up at about 6 AM Thursday and checked the tracking status. It showed a departure scan from Mankato at 8:58 PM -- a half hour AFTER I was told it was already out of the building and headed for the Twin Cities. But far worse, it also had an arrival scan ... at the CHICAGO HUB! Turns out it was never headed north and instead had been put on a trailer going directly to Chicago (or "Catch" in UPS parlance). I immediately called the local depot (thank goodness for Caller ID, because apparently that number is guarded more closely than the American Idol results) and asked what was going on and why my package was in the Windy City. The shift supervisor I spoke with was very helpful -- made a call to Chicago and called me back a few minutes later, saying he knew exactly what trailer it was on and that it WOULD be intercepted and turned around so I'd have it by Friday.

I watched the tracking status all day and the package never budged from the 5:10 AM check-in at Chicago. I took that as a good sign -- at least it wasn't moving on to California as far as I could tell. But as my work day drew to a close, I began to wonder why the box was still sitting there and so I called the national number to get an update on the package. The peon there told me that they had intercepted the package and it was coming back to me ... and that I would get it next Wednesday. WHAT?! UPS effectively steals my overnight air package and then thinks they can get away with sending it back to me via Ground service? I think not! I asked for his supervisor, who seemed to appreciate and understand the situation and assured me it would be taken care of.

When I got home, I called the local depot one more time to see if they could assure me that the package was in fact going to be there the next day. They let me in on a little secret -- even though Ground service from Chicago to southern Minnesota was supposed to take several days, it was actually an overnight trip whether it went by air or trailer, so either way the package would be here by Friday.

And it was. I opened the package more excitedly than any kid has ever opened a Christmas present and hurriedly assembled the pivots. YES! They finally fit!! Called Calvert to let them know the package had been located and that everything did seem to fit properly this time.

So today I went out and started the installation. Bolted on the passenger side hanger, stuck the pivot on and it fit like a dream. Got everything in place to put on the bracket that bolts underneath the axle using the spring's U-bolts ... and discovered that the holes in the bottom plate were too small for the U-bolts. OMG! Unbelievable. (The holes were apparently for 9/16" U-bolts but the ones that came with my springs were 5/8".) But I knew I could solve this problem easily, so with a trip to my dad's shop with the drill press and huge drill bits I enlarged the holes to 11/16" and everything fit like a dream. Sprayed some protective paint on the newly raw metal, gave it some time to dry in the sun, and bolted it all together.

I can't say that I would recommend the CalTracs kit as a straight bolt-on for obvious reasons, and I'm still not sure why they couldn't get the modified hangers right the first time, but at the end of it all I've gotta say I've never, EVER worked with a company that truly understood the value of customer service like Calvert Racing. Screwups aside, they did everything I asked in order to make it right, and they did a lot more that I didn't even ask of them, and every bit of it at their own expense. You pay a lot for their products, but now it's clear that you do so knowing that they will stand behind their stuff and not stop until you're satisfied. The sad thing for me is that I know I'll never in my life get service this good again.

Pictures follow.

Brent
Attached Images

Last edited by brossow; 09-06-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #308
nuke1

wow, now that is some trouble you had there, but in the end it all worked out at least!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #309
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

I also want to add that when things really started going to hell with the disappearing package on Wednesday, the gentleman I'd been working with at Calvert gave me his PERSONAL cell phone number and told me to call if there were any more problems. After I called him back on Friday to let him know the stuff had arrived, he again reminded me to call him on his cell if I had trouble with the installation. When was the last time you had someone from a company do THAT for you? Never, I'm guessing.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #310
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
I can't say that I would recommend the CalTracs kit as a straight bolt-on for obvious reasons, and I'm still not sure why they couldn't get the modified hangers right the first time, but at the end of it all I've gotta say I've never, EVER worked with a company that truly understood the value of customer service like Calvert Racing. Screwups aside, they did everything I asked in order to make it right, and they did a lot more that I didn't even ask of them, and every bit of it at their own expense. You pay a lot for their products, but now it's clear that you do so knowing that they will stand behind their stuff and not stop until you're satisfied. The sad thing for me is that I know I'll never in my life get service this good again.....

I also want to add that when things really started going to hell with the disappearing package on Wednesday, the gentleman I'd been working with at Calvert gave me his PERSONAL cell phone number and told me to call if there were any more problems. After I called him back on Friday to let him know the stuff had arrived, he again reminded me to call him on his cell if I had trouble with the installation. When was the last time you had someone from a company do THAT for you? Never, I'm guessing.
Might I suggest you copy this statement & formally send it to the appropriate people (for their bosses & to share w/their peers). It would have a tremendous impact to those that helped you from Calvert know how positive you feel about your experience w/them.

I admit after reading about these struggles, I was feeling very bad about recommending their set-up. I'm very curious what's different about your set-up vs. what they've sold to their previous customers for this application? How did it work for them but not you?

In the end, I'm glad Calvert Racing did what they should to ensure all was right. I will recommend them again after hearing this outcome. Let the build continue!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-06-2009 at 02:27 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #311
msgross

wow, what an adventure...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #312
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Might I suggest you copy this statement & formally send it to the appropriate people (for their bosses & to share w/their peers). It would have a tremendous impact to those that helped you from Calvert know how positive you feel about your experience w/them.
Already done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I admit after reading about these struggles, I was feeling very bad about recommending their set-up. I'm very curious what's different about your set-up vs. what they've sold to their previous customers for this application? How did it work for them but not you?
Exactly my question from the beginning! It's not as if my hangers were unique, since the ones they modified and sent me were ones they got from a local (California) yard and not my originals. I suspect there's more to the story than they're willing to admit, but at this point I don't particularly care. I'd love to know the answer but I'm sure I never will.

Brent

Last edited by brossow; 09-06-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #313
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Made a bit of progress this weekend. Had to buy a new deadman valve for my pressure blaster as I couldn't find the old one (just as well -- it was pure crap) and found out the hard way that my carefully stored media from last fall is damp despite my attempts to keep it dry. Bought some more Black Beauty this morning and got to work. Had a bit of help from my sons. Pics follow.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #314
VA72C10
VA72C10

Those cleaned up nicely.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #315
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Those cleaned up nicely.
Yup. Too bad about the hole someone hacked through the radiator support above and to the right of the passenger side headlight, but that can be repaired. Hadn't noticed that one before, somehow.

Blasting went a lot better today with 44% humidity than it did yesterday at 89%. Gave up out of frustration yesterday; today I had to give up from fatigue, which is a good feeling.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #316
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Been weeks since I've done anything -- when I've had free time, the weather has been terrible. When the weather's been nice, I've had other obligations. Terrible time of year for that to happen, but that's life in Minnesota.

Here's what showed up on my doorstep yesterday: a Pypes 2.5" Race Pro stainless steel x-pipe exhaust system. Hope I can get this one last thing done before packing it in for yet another winter.

In other news, there's really no other news. The back half of the sheetmetal is with my paint and body guy, but his "real" work schedule has had him working out of state for the past several weeks. The hood has been at least partially blasted and needs to get some primer on it before it flash-rusts again. Still need to get up to his shop again and get some pics of what's been done so far on the bed. I wouldn't trade being a dad for anything in the world, but going it alone doesn't always leave a lot of free time, especially once school is back in session.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #317
Damien

I little off topic, but we live about 4 blocks away from each other. I was looking through this tread one day and recognized your place from some of the pictures. I live on Fulton.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #318
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I little off topic, but we live about 4 blocks away from each other. I was looking through this tread one day and recognized your place from some of the pictures. I live on Fulton.
Small world!! Stop by sometime -- I'll be out later today mocking up the exhaust.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #319
Damien

I will. I want to check out the ls1 swap.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #320
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

A very, VERY disappointing day today. Had the day off and the weather was beautiful (sunny and 65° at the moment) so it was the perfect opportunity to lay out the Pypes exhaust and try to get it hung.

Things started off okay, but went downhill quickly. The pics tell much of the story, but I'll fill in the blanks. I knew it wouldn't be good when I couldn't even get the pipes to lay out on the ground the same way side to side. Long story short, the system isn't EVER gonna bolt up to my truck, no way no how.

The first pic below shows the two tailpipes laid out side by side, exhaust tips even. See anything wrong with the angles that go over the axle? Yeah, me too. With the 90° angle on the top one (passenger) side, there's absolutely no way, no matter how I twist and turn the pipe and the one it connects to coming off the muffler, that it will hang properly. If I get the other pipe horizontal, the exhaust tip touches the ground. If I get the tip up where it should be, the other pipe angles sharply toward the ground. The only way to get it horizontal is to twist it so it's pointing toward the other side of the frame. (And no, I don't have pics -- damn difficult to do while I'm holding the pipes up.)

The second pic is a close-up of the problem ... or one of the problems. I called Pypes and they told me to email them these pics. After an hour or so, I got a call back telling me that that's the way they're supposed to be bent. WTF?! I was amazed, but I went back out and spent another hour wrestling with the pipes in every possible combination and position and it's just not gonna fit, period. That's the way it's supposed to be, not the same side to side? Yeah, RIGHT!

Compounding the problem is the pipe coming off the muffler. It, too, has an angle issue. Where the hell is quality control at Pypes?! You can see in the third pic that the angles on these two pipes that come off the mufflers and into the tailpipes aren't even close. And no, they aren't just cut at different angles; both are cut perpendicular to the pipe. I even tried swapping them side to side in case I was just somehow putting them together wrong. Not a chance. Believe me, there's no angle or combination I didn't try.

I'm utterly disgusted with the situation. It's not even worth returning the system as I'd lose SO much money in the shipping -- $30 from Summit plus another $40 (UPS Ground) to send it back to them, nearly 20% of the total cost all together. I was understandably frustrated with the Caltracs situation, but at least they never told me that the stuff that didn't fit right was supposed to be that way, and they bent over backwards to make it right. But Pypes? "It's supposed to be like that." Completely pi**ed off and know one company I'll never do business with again.

So much for getting anything else done before winter. Time to pack it up. At least I have a nice weekend to do it.

If anyone near Mankato, Minnesota wants to take it off my hands for Summit's price minus the shipping, PM me privately. Then I'm only losing the shipping cost one way. Otherwise it's going into storage because I refuse to be out $70+ for something that wasn't my fault.

Brent
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #321
Ackattack

I have the same pypes setup on my truck (I don't remember which mufflers I used). I totally customized my install (see build pics)

Anyways....I wonder if they're "supposed" to be that way for panhard bar clearance.

I can't exactly picture what you were descibing, but thought I'd throw that out there.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #322
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Even though it's too cold for me to work, my buddy with the heated body shop has been hard at work on my sheet metal for my '72 Chevy shortbed stepside project. Went up to visit it (and him) the other day and took a few pics.

In the first pic below you can see the radiator support. Doesn't look like much, which is exactly the point -- it used to have a big hole that looked like the PO had used a shotgun at close range rather than cutting a proper circle for whatever passed through it at one point. You can't tell now -- it's smooth as glass.

Next pic is one of the dealer take-off rear fenders, which were rust-free (having been stored in an attic since September 1971) but had some dings and nicks from being moved and transported. Again, smooth as glass and he's not even done blocking 'em.

Last pic shows the brand-new (repro) bed sides. Those didn't need much attention, but for the money I have invested I like to show them off as much as possible. LOL!

In related news, I'm going back to the color I had wanted originally (which I'm going to TRY to keep a secret as long as possible -- nothing shocking, just want to keep it under wraps for now). Changed my mind last fall when I was planning to have the panels painted individually and then brought back to my place for assembly, which limited my paint options in terms of matching, etc. But now that we're gonna do the assembly at my buddy's shop, I can go back to my original choice. It's gonna be beautiful.

Brent <-- looking forward to spring!
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #323
1971gmcshortbed

Looking good Brent, the wind killed my day here yesterday. I couldn't imagine the cold uo there bud..
1971gmcshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #324
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971gmcshortbed View Post
Looking good Brent, the wind killed my day here yesterday. I couldn't imagine the cold up there bud..
It's a balmy 10°F right now. T-shirt weather!

But seriously, this week for the first time in weeks or months I'm seeing highs that start with "3" -- 30 today, 31 Tuesday and Wednesday, and finally 33 on Thursday, the first time I've seen it above freezing in what seems like forever. It's been a long cold lonely winter (or just a long cold winter, if you prefer Cinderella to the Beatles)!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #325
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

nice progress....

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote