The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Car crash about 12 miles from where I live. AIRRRBORRRNE! Unbelievable that the driver walked away from it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...sh/ar-AA198n5l

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:16 PM   #2
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Re: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Glad the driver was okay. Did Elon Musk build that car? It flies. I'll bet that driver has a load in his pants.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:16 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Wow! I saw that earlier today -- thanks for posting it here for more eyeballs! Astonishing to say the least. So wheel spacers may have played a role? Hmmmmmm.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:32 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I haven't seen anything about why the tire and wheel came off, here. That happened to me in '84, and I suspect that someone was trying to steal a wheel and tire, but was interrupted. It was a '72 Chevy Vega that I put a 305 SBC V8 in. I was driving it to my new place to live when the left front tire and wheel separated. Sparks galore (brake rotor dragging on the asphalt), and that tire and wheel seemed to just shoot off in front of me. I managed to get off the freeway and get the spare on and complete my journey. Never did find that tire and wheel.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-28-2023, 04:28 AM   #5
Richard

Saw this earlier. Good to hear they survived. When I purchased my lifted 85 SWB with 38" tires from a small dealer in the valley, about 88-89. It needed front brakes and they were included with the purchase. I drove to the installation location waited and then left. By the time I got home I noticed a clicking sound. When I inspected there were only two or three loose lug nuts holding one of the front wheels on. Could have been a serious accident. Failure in this case could be due to many things.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:35 AM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

saw that earlier...they said the wheel studs sheared off on the truck..
its unreal how that tire launched that car

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:41 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Cheap wheel spacer/studs sheared is what I heard also.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:05 AM   #8
yuccales

I think I saw the rotor still bolted on. On any given day, you just never know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_24t3x3q00
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:44 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:01 PM   #10
truckster

The driver of the truck is very fortunate that he didn't cause a loss of life.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The driver of the truck is very fortunate that he didn't cause a loss of life.
Indeed! These vehicles nowadays are a ton safer than most of the older ones. Every part that car shed took away crash energy. I wouldn't have even wanted to be in my truck, were that to happen.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-28-2023, 06:04 PM   #12
c10sport

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel....
Old 03-28-2023, 07:21 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10sport View Post
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel....

Simi Valley, CA
Old 03-28-2023, 08:01 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

What was the truck doing cruising along at speed in the center lane? Are you telling me he felt nothing strange until a wheel went flying off his front end. You know, the part that steers the truck. I can't imagine all the studs broke at once or that there was no strange feeling in his hands on the steering wheel. Dumb dumb does it again. But that extra wide track that slings mud and rocks on other drivers I bet sure looked cool

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:01 PM   #15
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
I think I saw the rotor still bolted on. On any given day, you just never know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_24t3x3q00
I agree that the rotor was still bolted to the wheel. A shiny disc can be seen several times flashing in the video.
I'm guessing the hub separated from a severe lack of maintenance.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:35 AM   #16
67C10Step

Just a WAG on my part, but with the brake disc still bolted to the wheel cwcarpenter is probably correct in it was a hub failure. Either bolts or bearing failure. Most likely brought on or aggravated by extreme wheel offset and wheel spacers putting a lot of extra force on the hub.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:00 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

It could also mean broken studs on wheel spacers. That would be my guess. Why use wheel spacers on the front? You are supposed to buy wheels to give desired track width. And you should aware of the extreme stresses excess offset puts on all parts involved, which gives many opportunities for multiple failures. And I see these days dumb dumbs want wheels that stick way beyond the body so they can wreck the paint on their expensive trucks and throw windshield breaking debris onto the vehicles nearby. I know many are anal about track width being wider up front (by design, obviously for good reason) and want to space the rear wheels to even track out. Yeah, what do engineers know anyway, right? But it's 10x more risky putting spacers on the front. This goes against safe common sense engineering, what with the added stresses "steer wheels" receive compared to rear wheels. I mean, isn't using lift blocks on the front leafs a big factual no-no for the same reason, extra stress that steering puts on moving parts? It is pure neglect if this this truck owner decided to alter factory engineering which contributed fully to this incidence occurring

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-31-2023, 03:31 PM   #18
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
what do engineers know anyway, right?

it broke the bearing, not the wheel studs, or any spacer that is visible. you can see the brake rotor attached to the wheel in the last few seconds.

that looks like a 2008-2012 tacoma, its going to be 11 to 15 years old, at an average of 14k miles a year that is 150k to 210k miles on it, if they never changed the wheel bearings and or ignored wheel imbalance or a roaring bearing its probably a pretty common failure and more likely than a spacer or offset problem.

its got to be a 2wd because the axle did not come with it, it bolts through the bearing. the 2008-2012 2wd tacoma has a standard offset of +25 to +35, so putting on a wheel with less offset (+0 or more) will take stress OFF the bearing, not add to it.

I get the whole "spacer bad" argument but there just isnt any data, on this website or otherwise. not even my personal experience using 1.25-3" spacers on 12 trucks that are still on the road and have no bearing issues.

engineers build things with a factor of safety for the most extreme use. at least I do. I cant count how many people want parts that are 1/4" thick to weld to their 11 ga frames. i try to tell em. they just think its safer. I make 3/16 parts knowing they are 50% thicker than the frame people are welding them to.

thats what this engineer knows.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:58 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I didn't dig as deep into this incident as you did. Only watched the video once. I'm not an engineer but I have common sense, which some engineers don't have. You will never convince me that spacers on the front of a vehicle isn't foolish by a greater factor, or whatever you guys use to measure stress. I just know, in my line of work, I have come up with solutions that have put engineers on their heels and had to admit that was a great solution that they obviously hadn't considered. There is a thing known as natural knowledge that isn't gained from books. It's an age-old argument, right? Fact is, many vehicles have lost a wheel/tire due to studs on spacers sheering. Not this timer, ok... whatever. I did say "could be"

Tim

Old 04-01-2023, 11:11 AM   #20
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I didn't dig as deep into this incident as you did. Only watched the video once. I'm not an engineer but I have common sense, which some engineers don't have. You will never convince me that spacers on the front of a vehicle isn't foolish by a greater factor, or whatever you guys use to measure stress. I just know, in my line of work, I have come up with solutions that have put engineers on their heels and had to admit that was a great solution that they obviously hadn't considered. There is a thing known as natural knowledge that isn't gained from books. It's an age-old argument, right? Fact is, many vehicles have lost a wheel/tire due to studs on spacers sheering. Not this timer, ok... whatever. I did say "could be"

i agree with you that engineers who tell experienced tradesmen what to do can be foolish, mostly because the engineer looks at it just in the load, so saying "brace it here" might be a good static solution but dynamically may bounce when used. i dont like engineers who rely only on software for design, there is a point called TRL-6 where you make a development article and treat it like a gorilla to see how you you can break it.

i havent ever seen a broken billet spacer other than one that the guy used a 112mm pattern on a 114.3 bolt circle. that whistlin diesel fool on youtube stacks them in resultant FEET of spacing and drives like an idiot on wagon wheels. because its the clamping force and not the studs that hold anything, a properly installed billet spacer is almost the same as a wheel with more negative offset. i have seen the cast aluminum older mr gasket style spacers break, usually doing burnouts.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:34 AM   #21
CWW

And that is why my wife drives a Kia and will be getting a new one in a few months
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

^^^ I bet that video will be selling a lot of Kias. I expect to see whatever Joey Chitwood type stunt drivers to put a Kia in their corral

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
i agree with you that engineers who tell experienced tradesmen what to do can be foolish, mostly because the engineer looks at it just in the load, so saying "brace it here" might be a good static solution but dynamically may bounce when used. i dont like engineers who rely only on software for design, there is a point called TRL-6 where you make a development article and treat it like a gorilla to see how you you can break it.

i havent ever seen a broken billet spacer other than one that the guy used a 112mm pattern on a 114.3 bolt circle. that whistlin diesel fool on youtube stacks them in resultant FEET of spacing and drives like an idiot on wagon wheels. because its the clamping force and not the studs that hold anything, a properly installed billet spacer is almost the same as a wheel with more negative offset. i have seen the cast aluminum older mr gasket style spacers break, usually doing burnouts.
Yeah, I don't hate on engineers and know how vital they are to us all. I appreciate their existence. I wanted to become an engineer or architect but that never happened. But you know what? I am both now when it comes to what I need to know for what I do. I'm not saying my knowledge of either is nearly as vast as either, just a full understanding of the principles involved within the realm I operate within. And I know plenty of tradesmen, with all their experience, that don't seem to have all that. I guess I have an engineering type of mind (maybe ). In a way, I'm unconfined by the learning system that directs an engineer. More seat of the pants, gut feeling, by the eye type of knowledge, with a history to look back on. I have done construction projects on engineer's homes and seen them get all hung up on what they see as a violation of what they understand. All I would say is, "All that is true, not debated it at all, but when it comes right down to it I can ensure you will never have a problem with that, I stand behind that lasting forever. If you ask why, "Uh, I dunno. It just will" . I can't give a formula for what I know. I like to say engineers build from the top down and I build from the bottom up. They start with numbers on paper and I start with a materials and tools. ell, with a tiny bit of forethought I suppose

I've always been really great with dogs. Started out as a kid being bit quite few times to where I was petrified by German Shepherds. Somehow I came to relating really well to dogs and even have stepping on dog fights the separate with full confidence. I can't explain how I gained that skill. My dogs have all been very well trained and obedient. Yet, never a second of formal training. This just came to mind and I thought I'd relate it. Not saying I don't suck at things, too

Whistlin' Diesel... what a spoiled spoon fed punk. He should do videos of him donating money to the needy since he likes to waste his money so much on being stupid.

I've seen wheel studs fail quite a bit, no spacers required. It doesn't take much if things aren't just right

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2023 at 12:21 PM.