The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
72timemachine

Anyone know of a long bed to short bed conversion thread?

I have 1990, c2500 single cab long bed which at the moment, is a flatbed. I have tried looking around the internet but am having a hard time trying to find my year and single cab set up in which I can better understand what is involved in shorten the frame.

Does anyone know of a thread which I can study where someone has shortened a single cab long bed into a short bed? No extended cabs please.

Thanks for any help.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #2
Big Daddy Bear

Re: Anyone know of a long bed to short bed conversion thread?

What is your concern over the ext cab vs single cab? Getting ready to do the same thing to my 1992 W/T 2wd.

One way is to move the rearend/spring mounts forward to shorten the wheel base and the cut the "extra" off the back end of frame. There is no need to cut and remove any forward sections of frame and then splice it back together.

By doing this, it really makes no difference as to ext cab or standard, as all the work and alterations are done from behind the cab back.

Gas tank will need changed, driveline shortened/replaced, fuel, brake, and backend wiring will need adjusted.

Can also upgrade to a 3 or 4 link style rear and do away with the leaf springs and moving their mounts.

Here is a pretty decent link to a project using the relocating of the spring hangers on an ext cab truck, lot of good info and I really don't think using ths method, the cab design makes any real difference.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/longbe...ed-swap.22556/
Old 08-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
90OBS

If you do a YouTube search for Stacey David’s Gears (shortbed conversion). You can get some information on how and where to cut the frame. I know it’s a tv show 😂 but it has a little bit of information. There are a few episodes of this.
90OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
90OBS

I just realized my last post about Stacey David’s (Gears) . That show is about a C10 conversion not a 88-98 .. my bad. Sorry 😕
90OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I don't know of anyone shortening anything newer than '72 at this point. It seems way more square body short beds were built and certainly more in 88-98. But from those and ever since the regular cab started becoming the exception rather than the "more than a truck" cabs. I ordered my '92 GMC because all I saw on lots were ext cab short bed 1/2 tons and I needed a truck, not a coupe with extra space in the trunk with no lid (until a hard cover is installed)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote