The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
Jotto82

Adjusting column linkage

Doesn’t always happen but on occasion my truck will fall into reverse from Park. The marker doesn’t line up either. This is something that really sucks with cold weather here in Wisconsin because the motor needs to warm up and I have to sit in the truck the whole time because I’m never sure if it’s going to happen or not. Is there a thread on this that anyone knows of or can explain it. I’ve crawled under the truck and found it but not sure what to adjust. Any help is appreciated as always!
Jotto82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
bennylava

Re: Adjusting column linkage

The selector needle may be a separate issue, just fyi. The springs do get lousy after many years and it stops being accurate. You can buy an entirely new one from classic truck parts of america. I assume your truck is an 81?

https://www.classicparts.com/1980-83...info/91%2D451/

I did that and it was well worth the money to have one that doesn't make you second guess where exactly you're at, when you look at it.

Last edited by bennylava; 04-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Sabaka454

Put it in park and chock the wheels. Ensure the trans manual valve is all the way in park and then check the linkage for play. There is a bushing and spring on the frame, the linkage itself, the shift tube, the bushing on the lever attached to the shift tube etc. Fix whatever issues you find and then make the adjustment on the linkage. Once it feels right you can adjust the prndl gauge by simply moving the clip on the column jacket.
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Jotto82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
The selector needle may be a separate issue, just fyi. The springs do get lousy after many years and it stops being accurate. You can buy an entirely new one from classic truck parts of america. I assume your truck is an 81

https://www.classicparts.com/1980-83...info/91%2D451/

I did that and it was well worth the money to have one that does make you second guess where exactly you're at, when you look at it.
It’s a 79, it’s not off so much that I can’t tell but I would like it accurate for someone else driving it. The needle sits to the left of whatever gear your in. Thank you for the link. I’ll go from there to get the one for a 79
Old 04-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
Jotto82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaka454 View Post
Put it in park and chock the wheels. Ensure the trans manual valve is all the way in park and then check the linkage for play. There is a bushing and spring on the frame, the linkage itself, the shift tube, the bushing on the lever attached to the shift tube etc. Fix whatever issues you find and then make the adjustment on the linkage. Once it feels right you can adjust the prndl gauge by simply moving the clip on the column jacket.
Thanks. I assume I am looking for play and general wear?