The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #151
mwooten92

Re: 1987 Chevy Silverado project

hey texasfunk. what website is that for the wheel visualizer thing? i cant find a site with this bodystyle

Build Thread of my 85' C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367919
mwooten92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #152
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfunk View Post
Got this truck from a close friend, traded a 2000 grand am with 150,000 miles for it. as soon as i got it i added some rally's, bucket seats from a suburban and a bowtie to the grille
I got real nice 1999 Grand Am with around 175k miles I'll trade you with some cash to boot.
Nice truck Man!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #153
joe231

Nice work man!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #154
menace121978

looking great funk! thats pretty good bud... an update almost everyday

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #155
texasfunk

thanx for the compliments everyone!
drivewayim curious as to what safety measure you mean? just out of curiousity, i wont drive it everyday, but its always good to know!

menace-luckily its in class now, i go to school 8-3 mon-fri, so i have tons of work time, and i know you guys love updates and pics!

wooten-im on my cell now, so i dnt have the link, i can get it for you later, or if aaron(flamingc10) is on he can help you out as well

mcbassin-sorry, at this point, it'd take the car, and a substantial amount of cash to pry it from my grip
1982 El Camino 350/350
1979 K5 2wd blazer bagged/bodied
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1991 Chevy CK SWB-67 clip and tailgate, bagged 350/700r4
1955 Chevy Bel Air
2014 Chevy Silverado ccsb
texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #156
Dudewith4x4
Momma Tried.

Glad you decided to fill the holes.. Thats what im gonna do on my truck.
Saving up for a 64
17 and loving it.

Dudewith4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 AM   #157
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
looking great funk! thats pretty good bud... an update almost everyday
Oh, that must be a "real" build thread.

As far as safety...the reflective properties and the lights in them help with visibility. And, like I said, I have to look at some stuff different than I used to.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #158
joe231

The side markers became mandatory safety equipment around 1970. They are required for added visibility from the side. Today's cars have the curved lights so they have the required side marker lights. No way would the manufactures have put the extra expense into the side markers if they weren't required. You should consider putting some kind of side marker up front if you plan on doing any after dark driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
NHTSA Report Number DOT HS 806 430 July 1983
An Evaluation of Side Marker Lamps For Cars, Trucks, and Buses

Charles J. Kahane, Ph.D.
Abstract

Side marker lamps were installed in cars, trucks, buses, trailers and multipurpose passenger vehicles in response to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. The purpose of side marker lamps is to enable a driver to see another vehicle that is approaching at an angle at night--and to see it early enough that the driver can stop in time to prevent a collision or, at least, slow down to reduce the severity of the collision. The objectives of this agency staff evaluation are to determine how many accidents, casualties and damages are prevented by side marker lamps and to measure the actual cost of the lamps. The evaluation is based on statistical analyses of North Carolina, Texas and Fatal Accident Reporting System data, a study of traveling speeds in fatal angle collisions, and cost analyses of production lamp assemblies. It was found that:

* Side marker lamps annually prevent 106,000 accidents, 93,000 nonfatal injuries and $347 million in property damage.

* The lamps have not been effective In reducing fatalities

* They add $21 (in 1982 dollars) to the lifetime cost of owning and operating motor vehicle.

Summary

The most notable change in motor vehicle lighting during the period 1965-75 was the installation of side marker lamps on most cars, trucks and buses in 1968. Before that year, most vehicles did not have any illumination visible from the side. The purpose of side marker lamps is to enable a driver to see another vehicle that is approaching at an angle at night (or is standing still with its side facing the driver)-and to see it early enough that the driver can stop in time to prevent a nighttime angle collision or, at least, slow down or take evasive action to reduce the severity of the collision.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 regulates the lamps, reflectors and associated equipment for cars, trucks, trailers, buses, multi-purpose passenger vehicles and motorcycles. It became effective on January 1, 1968, for vehicles wider than 80 inches (large trucks and buses) and on January 1, 1969, for the other vehicles.

Executive Order 12291 (February 1981) requires agencies to evaluate their existing major regulations, including any rule whose annual effect on the economy is $100 million or more. The objectives of an evaluation are to determine the actual benefits - lives saved, injuries prevented, damages avoided - and costs of safety equipment installed in production vehicles in response to a standard and to assess cost-effectiveness.

This report is an evaluation of side marker lamps for cars, trucks, vans and buses-the only significant change in the lighting systems of production vehicles that more or less coincided with the effective date of Standard 108. They were introduced voluntarily by manufacturers, typically one year before the standard's effective date. The other lighting systems of motor vehicles (headlamps, brake lights, etc.) for the most part already met Standard 108 many years in advance because they complied with SAE Standards and Recommended Practices that were incorporated, by reference, into Standard 108.

Estimates of the number of accidents and casualties prevented by side marker lamps were obtained by statistically analyzing accident data from the North Carolina and Texas State files and the Fatal Accident Reporting System. The analyses of nonfatal accidents resulted in precise, statistically significant, effectiveness estimates. The analyses of fatal crashes did not produce statistically significant estimates and were supplemented by an engineering study: did drivers in fatal crashes have enough room to stop or slow down after they saw the lamps? The cost of side marker lamps was estimated by analyzing lamp components of a representative sample of cars and by obtaining data on repair frequencies and costs.

The evaluation does not develop a detailed model which predicts side marker lamp effectiveness as a function of their intensity, size, luminance or as a function of accident parameters. That model could be useful for studying the effect of potential changes in side marker lamp requirements, but the in-depth accident and laboratory data that would be needed to develop it do not exist at this tine. Instead, the evaluation is limited to assessing the actual costs and benefits of current production lamps--whose design has remained largely unchanged during 1970-83.

The most important conclusion of this study is that side marker lamps are effective in preventing nonfatal accidents and injuries--close to 100,000 of each per year. The conclusion is based almost entirely on statistical analyses of accident data, yet can be drawn firmly because of the exceptional precision and consistency of those analyses:

* Identical results were obtained from North Carolina and Texas.

* Two virtually independent analysis techniques were used on each file. One was straightforward (simple comparison of model years 1967 when most vehicles did not have the lamps and 1968 when most did) and the other complex (regression): they produced the same effectiveness estimate.

* Several techniques were used to check for biases in the effectiveness estimates. They suggested that the estimates were unbiased.

The other conclusion is that side marker lamps had little or no effect on fatalities. The conclusion is based on a combination of statistical analysis and engineering judgement and it is less firm than the preceding one. The statistical analysis of fatal crashes yielded an effectiveness estimate just below zero but (because the Fatal Accident Reporting System is a smaller file than North Carolina or Texas) with relatively wider confidence bounds Including a range of positive and negative values. The engineering analysis did not yield a specific estimate but did suggest that the effect, if any, was a fraction of the one in nonfatal crashes. The conclusion that the actual effect is essentially zero is conservative and consistent with both analyses.

The principal findings and conclusions of the study are the following:
Principal Findings

Effectiveness of side marker lamps

* If none of the cars, trucks and buses operating on the roads during 1980 had been equipped with side marker lamps there would have been 661,000 police-reported nighttime angle collisions. If all of those cars, trucks and buses had been equipped with side marker lamps, there would only have been 555,000 collisions. In other words, the lamps reduce the number of nighttime angle collisions by 16 percent. The accident reduction is statistically significant (confidence bounds: 10 to 22 percent).

* Side marker lamps reduce the number of personal injuries in nighttime angle collisions by 21 percent. The reduction is statistically significant (confidence bounds: 12 to 29 percent).

* The statistical analyses of fatal angle collisions did not indicate a significant effect for side marker lamps (confidence bounds for effectiveness: -25 to +13 percent). An analysis of crash speeds,

* Sighting and stopping distances suggested that the effectiveness of side marker lamps in fatal crashes, if any, is at most 1/4 as high as in nonfatal crashes: at the traveling speeds prevalent in most fatal crashes, either the lamps are seen too late for drivers to react to them and stop or slow down or the headlamps are more readily visible than the side marker lamps.

Cost

* The costs per vehicle (in 1982 dollars) for side marker lamps are the following:

Initial purchase price increase $16.76
Lifetime fuel consumption due to 2 pound weight increase 2.00
Lifetime fuel consumption: electric power to light the lamps 2.19
Lifetime cost of replacement bulbs 0.27
TOTAL COST PER VEHICLE $21.22

* The annual cost of side marker lamps in the United States (based on 12.3 million cars, trucks and buses sold) is $261 million.

Annual benefits

* The annual benefits, when all cars, trucks and buses in the United States have side marker lamps, will be:

Reduction of Best Estimate Confidence Bounds
Police-reported accidents 106,000 65,000 - 149,000
Nonfatal injuries 93,000 51,000 - 132,000
Property damage $347M $213 - 488M

Cost-effectiveness

* Since side marker lamps save 93,000 injuries and cost $261 million, they eliminate 360 injuries per million dollars of cost (confidence bounds: 200 to 500).

* Since side marker lamps save $347 million in property damages and cost $261 million, they save consumers $86 million per year (confidence bounds: -48 to +227 million dollars saved per year).

Conclusions

* Side marker lamps have significantly reduced the number of nighttime angle collisions that occur in the United States.

* The lamps have significantly reduced the number of nonfatal injuries that occur in nighttime angle collisions, because they reduce the severity of accidents and/or prevent them entirely.

* The lamps have little or no effect on fatalities. Most fatal nighttime angle collisions involve one of the vehicles traveling at high speed or both vehicles traveling at similar speeds. In the first case, by the time that the high-speed driver sees the other vehicle's side markers, there is no longer room to stop or substantially slow down; in the second case, each driver can see the other vehicle's headlamps more easily than the side marker lamps.

* Side marker lamps are a cost-effective safety device.

Last edited by joe231; 01-26-2010 at 09:27 AM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #159
menace121978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
Oh, that must be a "real" build thread.

As far as safety...the reflective properties and the lights in them help with visibility. And, like I said, I have to look at some stuff different than I used to.
ouch! what are you trying to say? mine should be called "hanging out at the BAR" thread?

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #160
JohnC

It's looking good man. Keep up the great progress. You'll be cruising that thing in no time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
ouch! what are you trying to say? mine should be called "hanging out at the BAR" thread?
Hey don't steal my thread name man!
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #161
texasfunk

thanx guys! i thot it was something concerning the shaved doors and actuators, i never planned not running a sidemarker and turn signal, a page or so back i mention flush mounting some, but i have to get some metal in there first
1982 El Camino 350/350
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1955 Chevy Bel Air
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #162
joe231

cool, I wasn't sure if you changed your mind.
You got me thinking about some flush mount LED's for the side markers......time to do some research
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #163
texasfunk

thnx! n i got a few websites on hand if anyone is interested! and i know some smart a** is goin to come in here and say "well if your still shaving them why are you doin body work to the fender over it, well, i dnt have a budget til the 14th when my school money comes, so when i get that i will see how far along i am and get the lights, if i cnt, then the work is done and im not behing..
1982 El Camino 350/350
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1955 Chevy Bel Air
Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #164
joe231

websites?
yeah, let's see 'um
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #165
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Quote:
thanx guys! i thot it was something concerning the shaved doors and actuators, i never planned not running a sidemarker and turn signal, a page or so back i mention flush mounting some, but i have to get some metal in there first
Sorry man, I understand. Just thought you were completely getting rid of the markers now. But you gotta fill it in so you have a clean surface to mount what you want where you want them. Keep on rockin!!
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #166
JohnC

Quote:
thnx! n i got a few websites on hand if anyone is interested! and i know some smart a** is goin to come in here and say "well if your still shaving them why are you doin body work to the fender over it, well, i dnt have a budget til the 14th when my school money comes, so when i get that i will see how far along i am and get the lights, if i cnt, then the work is done and im not behing..
nah man that's the other forum where your build is posted. We're all pretty psyched over here watching your build!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #167
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
websites?
yeah, let's see 'um
here ya go! on one of them they make custom lenses into ANYTHING you can imagin for something super custom

www.ledtaillighs.com - Lambert Enterprises, they make the customs ones,
www.watsons-streetworks.com

they both have clear lenses, with amber leds, are a little harder to find, but they're there
Quote:
Sorry man, I understand. Just thought you were completely getting rid of the markers now. But you gotta fill it in so you have a clean surface to mount what you want where you want them. Keep on rockin!!
its all good! even if i cant do the sidemarkers due to time and money, i found a cool set of billet mirrors with l.e.d. on the edge for sidemarkers, but i really want them on the fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
nah man that's the other forum where your build is posted. We're all pretty psyched over here watching your build!
thanx! and yea, it got no love over there, some people actually try to help, and give points, but 99% just downed the work,oh well! im glad you guys enjoy! heres some more!

luckily the rust on the front and back glass havent broken through, simple leading will fix those, as you see, got the glass out, and got the doors farther along..

1982 El Camino 350/350
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1955 Chevy Bel Air
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #168
JohnC

Looks good man. I can't give any advice. You are in an area that I know nothing about. That is why I'm paying such close attention.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #169
joe231

Thanks for the links
I'll check them out!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #170
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Looks good Funk! You using Duraglas on first passes? Looks like it in the pics anyway. What progress did you make on the doors? More blocking?
BTW: your first link is missing a "t" www.ledtaillights.com
The 86 build thread SOLD

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 01-26-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #171
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Looks good man. I can't give any advice. You are in an area that I know nothing about. That is why I'm paying such close attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Thanks for the links
I'll check them out!
Quote:
Looks good Funk! You using Duraglas on first passes? Looks like it in the pics anyway. What progress did you make on the doors? More blocking?
BTW: your first link is missing a "t" www.ledtaillights.com
thanx guys! ad no prob joe!

driveway- yea, i am using the duraglass first, i use it over welded panels first cause bondo over welds is more likely to crack, and more body work on the doors, one was flimsy as crap, shrunk it a bit, and finished up the bondo work on it, one door had previous body work, just a bunch of dents covered by bondo, so i had to repull alll that! but its coming along well!
1982 El Camino 350/350
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1955 Chevy Bel Air
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #172
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Try to catch the Duraglas before it hardens all the way. It's like sanding a rock once it is hard.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #173
texasfunk

class was cancelled due to snow, did get the doors done yesterday, and one fender done, did get an entire truck bagged today tho

1982 El Camino 350/350
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1955 Chevy Bel Air

Last edited by texasfunk; 01-28-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #174
justpball

love them coys...LOL

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #175
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpball View Post
love them coys...LOL
lol, thnx, i got an amazing deal on them!!!
1982 El Camino 350/350
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1955 Chevy Bel Air