The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #401
HO455

Re: Working Man's Burbon

As promised the cap with gasket removed. It certainly looks like a plate could be missing.
Attached Images

The WMB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #402
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Hmmmm! There is no brass backer place under the gasket. Not even a flat surface. May be that has been the problem all along. I will get a photo of what is under the gasket and post it.
Thanks again LockDoc. You Da Man!

I was going by what you said in post #396: "I just don't have a clue as to what the thin plate is supposed to do." I thought you were talking about the gasket backer plate that I have the arrow pointing at in the photo below.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #403
LockDoc

Quote:
As promised the cap with gasket removed. It certainly looks like a plate could be missing.

OK, I see now. What my arrow is pointing to is actually part of the casting. Most caps have a flat brass plate in there that backs up the gasket and makes it seal. If you have a stock cap pull the rubber seal back with your fingernail and you will see what I am talking about.

LockDoc

Old 10-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #404
HO455

I found a stock cap to look at and I see the brass backer. I will get some shim stock and make one for mine and maybe glue the gasket to it in the hope that the brass will slide on the casting and the gasket won't have to slide on the filler neck thus solving the problem with the gasket deformity.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #405
LockDoc

Quote:
I found a stock cap to look at and I see the brass backer. I will get some shim stock and make one for mine and maybe glue the gasket to it in the hope that the brass will slide on the casting and the gasket won't have to slide on the filler neck thus solving the problem with the gasket deformity.

That should work. Put a thin coat of grease on the back of the backer plate.

LockDoc

Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #406
HO455

I ran with LockDoc's idea of a brass backer for the gasket. Used some shim stock (about .020) traced the gasket, and trimmed the outside to fit. (I ended up not being satisfied with the cut lines I made with the marker so I set the gasket on the brass and sprayed a light coat of paint on them to get a nice sharp cut line.) Then cut an X in the center with a sharp scraper and with my lefthanded tin snips spiraled outward until I was close to the right inside dimension. Then I glued the gasket on to the brass. And to finish I used a Dremel with a grind stone to smooth the edges and get the brass to the exact size of the gasket. To remove the burrs on the back I sanded with 150 grit sandpaper. The cap now turns much easier ( I'm sure the grease helps) with no sign of the gasket bunching up. That should finally finish this little adventure. All this just to keep the gas cap from walking away on its own.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #407
LockDoc

Quote:
I ran with LockDoc's idea of a brass backer for the gasket. Used some shim stock (about .020) traced the gasket, and trimmed the outside to fit. (I ended up not being satisfied with the cut lines I made with the marker so I set the gasket on the brass and sprayed a light coat of paint on them to get a nice sharp cut line.) Then cut an X in the center with a sharp scraper and with my lefthanded tin snips spiraled outward until I was close to the right inside dimension. Then I glued the gasket on to the brass. And to finish I used a Dremel with a grind stone to smooth the edges and get the brass to the exact size of the gasket. To remove the burrs on the back I sanded with 150 grit sandpaper. The cap now turns much easier ( I'm sure the grease helps) with no sign of the gasket bunching up. That should finally finish this little adventure. All this just to keep the gas cap from walking away on its own.

That looks great. Hope it seals good.

LockDoc

Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #408
HO455

Well it quit raining so I got a chance to fill up and test the cap. I didn't get the gas smell. Whoo Boo!! But later I noticed this. So some leakage still but it is reduced to the level that doesn't smell. I guess that the fill will need to have more massaging to stop the leakage.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #409
LockDoc

Quote:
Well it quit raining so I got a chance to fill up and test the cap. I didn't get the gas smell. Whoo Boo!! But later I noticed this. So some leakage still but it is reduced to the level that doesn't smell. I guess that the fill will need to have more massaging to stop the leakage.
Glad all the work you did helped. Yeah, the lip of the filler neck has to be pretty true and smooth.....

LockDoc

Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #410
HO455

Well then it looks like the next step will be pulling the fill and doing some massaging and soldering that crack up. Maybe add a vent tube and go non vented cap. Thanks for your input Doc.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #411
LockDoc

Quote:
Well then it looks like the next step will be pulling the fill and doing some massaging and soldering that crack up. Maybe add a vent tube and go non vented cap. Thanks for your input Doc.
No problem.

LockDoc