The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #26
demian5

Re: New Member-72 C20 Cheyenne

Beautiful truck. My son has a 86 c20. Here are the pains of the 8 lug. This truck came with 16" stock steel with caps. Looked great, tires wore out. My kid got a great deal on some later model aluminum wheels with caps, still needed tires, oh and how about a set of lug nuts with the right seat for the wheels? Oh yeah, want to run the caps with the screw on nuts? You get the idea, cheap wheels required new lugs and some gently used (not new, im not loaded) tires. It looked great too with the polished rims and caps.

16.5 are out of my discussion because of cost and availability. If they were not, I would suggest 16.5 x 9.75 steel wheels (camper specials I think) with stock caps. That is such a good, classic look.

Anything beyond that is up to your budget. A good set of 16" or 17" rims and tires are determined by your budget.

If you buy take offs from a later model truck, plan on getting a set of bolt-on spacers because the offset puts the wheels in pretty far, and in some cases, causing contact with the body and suspension in full lock. And the wheels can be so thick, that the factory studs give you only a few threads to screw on...

98 and earlier ford wheels fit (i think as they went to some dumb 107 lug pattern or something after that) as well as almost all dodge.

Good luck.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #27
brown7373

Re: New Member-72 C20 Cheyenne

I bought that Suburban (an 89) in 1991. It had alloy wheels, and they were a real pain. The lug nuts had a shoulder that pushed into the hole in the wheel before it could be tightened. A 216 inch wheel and those big tires was HEAVY and you had to play with the wheels to get the nuts lined up to go into the wheels. And the truck shook like crazy at speed. So I got rid of the wheels wide tires and got the steel wheels and correct size heavy duty tires. I was pulling and enclosed trailer with a 1964 T-bird convertible in it, which meant I was pulling over 10,000 pounds.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote