The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
THEDOORMAN

The Doormans "New" service truck

Well everyone im a newbee to this site, I have been building offroad rigs and mud trucks for the last few years, but my buddy and chief fabricator has been on here for a while in the square body side. Any way heres our plan for this rig.
54 long box chevy
Fatman airbag IFS setup with ultra low cross member and drop spindles
custom width 9" with link setup (not settled on style yet) with bags
Air engine from airbagit with all the goodies.
Looking for 20's and decent tire not a rubberband
4.8 liter out of 2003 chevy truck
700 r-4
Raised bed floor to leave flat for tool bed box
custom tube rack for hauling garage doors.
We will do rust repair where necessary but will try to patina it back like the truck
Put a nice interior in it with modern ammenities
Goals: We want a cool reliable service truck that will turn heads and will lay the boards on the ground with a touch of a button!

Heres the truck now!

THEDOORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: The Doormans "New" service truck

Looks like a nice truck to start with.
Casper, Wyoming. I've been there in February. Get inside and warm up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Killick

Truck looks like a great find!
Casper Wyoming is cold in Feb? I'll agree it's a bit cool, but southerners are a bit spoiled
Killick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
THEDOORMAN

Thanks guys!! Its not to bad of a truck. Problems be is that it spent its life in Utah the salt capital of the world! I bought a 49 and the guy gave me this one for free. Sold the 49 for what I had in the hole deal then I sold this one to a guy for 500 then bought it back for 500 when we dreamed this up. We will have to do inner and outer cowls just so the fenders aren't just floating. Also the hood brace is rusted out bad so we will have to swap that too. Floors are rough so add that to the list of rust repair. Oh well its no fun if you just bolt it on a drive them. And it is windy and cold here but I think you got us whooped in Canada!

We hope to have it in the shop in the next couple weeks after the motor goes back in the 66 chevy that came in for some gaskets and a little love.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
THEDOORMAN

Well the parts are piling up. Literally piling! Anyway the Fatman kit showed up and looks beefy! Air engine is here! Scored a complete floor pan kit from *itchen (ADD B to front due to filter) that a buddy had laying around for a few years. Another buddy gave us the drivers side in and outer cowl pieces new that he didn't use on his. Looks like were going to build a 9" with a custom housing I have laying around since the 8.8 we have is off a truck and is to wide. Ordering bags for rear today and universal super pivot 4 link kit and some other misc parts. And I have been pondering a Ram Jet in this for ease of wiring problems but not committed yet. The $5000 price tag is a bit rough!!! Any way I have been enjoying reading everyones builds and gaining some ideas for sure.