The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
thenormans05

A-arm shaft?

I am replacing both my upper and lower control arm shaft and also my lower arm shaft, I have read alot of stuff about how try think it should be done but really no solid answers yet. I just want to know if I did them right or not. What I did for the a arm is screw in one bushing in the side and then feed the shaft through the other bushing hole and then screwed the shaft all the way into the bushing I just installed, then I will shrew in the other bushing and after that you can turn the shaft an just eye ball the gaps on either side. Does this sound correct? Everything I have read says to screw is both bushings at the same time but that just seems kinda hard to me? Let me know what you think also does anyone know the torque specs on the bottom aarm bushings?
Posted via Mobile Device
thenormans05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
thenormans05

Re: A-arm shaft?

I'm starting to think this is a bad subject.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

Wow, I am having the exact same issue right now. I bought new upper and lower shafts for my truck and cant seem to get it right either. The issue that I am having is getting all the end caps to sit flush against the side of the control arms, unless of course there not supposed to. Anyway, I will post some pictures tomorrow to better explain the issue. If anyone know the correct procedure or if there supposed to sit flush or no please let us know, or better yet post some pics. Thanks for the help fellas.

---------------------------------------------------
My Build Thread ..... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=288143

My Garage ..... http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/OCD69
jgrisafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
HotRod C/10

pics?

-1976 SILVERADO
YUBA GOLD/NEUTRAL (2-TONE)
HotRod C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

Here are the pictures of my upper control arms.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

I give up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what else to do. I have tried to get these dang cross shafts on both the upper a-arms and lower a-arms and I CAN'T GET IT DONE. Is there anyone in the Houston area that could help me out with these or does anyone know someone who can do it for me? I tried today for about 4 hours to get them on and no luck. I even went and bought the sockets for both size cross shafts. OH yea..I even got all the rear end done. Just gotta wait on the disk brake setup now.
Attached Images

Last edited by jgrisafi; 10-23-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

I'm still done with those dang cross shafts!
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
thenormans05

You could take them to an alignment shop and they could do it. Also if you have your old shaft compare the two in length. I bought several at local auto part stores here and some were about 1/2 to 1" shorter than the originals. I had to just order mine from LMC and they went in great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
19Chevy67C10

Here are the instructions for installing the upper control arm shafts, I just did this install my parts were NOS Moog K6098. Instructions are as follows:

1. Remove upper control arm assembly from vehicle
2. Remove bushings and pivot shaft from control arm, being careful not to damage control arm in any way.
3. Install new threaded steel bushings and new shaft into control arm, as shown above dont have scanner for picture and cant upload, continued instruction. Slide seals over shaft ends, with the smaller outside diameter first, and position shaft between holes in the control arm. Start both bushings onto shaft ends so that the bushings will be centered on the shaft after they are completely threaded into the control arm.
4. Torque both bushings to 90 foot pounds and make sure that the distance from the centerline of each shaft mounting hole to control arm inner surfaces is equal. Install a grease fitting supplied into each bushing with end pointing toward upper ball joint.
5. Install upper control arm assembly on the vehicle with alignment shims between the pivot shaft and the frame bracket on their respective mounting bolts.
6. Install lock nuts supplied onto pivot shaft mounting bolts " should say mounting studs", and torque nuts to 65 foot pounds.
7. Install ball joint stud into steering knuckle, torque slotted nut to 50 foot pounds, and lock with a cotter pin.
8. Check front end alignment and adjust if necessary.

NOTE: The pivot shaft in this kit may be visually different from the original one. This will in no way affect proper installation into control arm provided the new bushings and seals included in this kit are installed correctly.

NOTE: The parts in this kit are designed to replace the worn or non-functioning original equipment parts in the vehicle as produced by the car factory. These parts are not designed for installation on vehicles where the suspension and/or steering systems have been modified for racing, competition, or any other purpose.

Form 2545 Moog

I will post the lowers and I hope this will be moved to the tech side as well.....

I hope this helps people God Bless,

Kev C.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
19Chevy67C10

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOWER INNER SHAFT KIT MOOG K6147

My lower inner shafts are also NOS and the instructions may have been revised but here is the info I have..

1. Remove lower control arm assembly from the vechicle, after having removed coil spring in a safe manner.
2. Remove bushings and pivot shaft from control arm, being careful not to damage control arm in any way.
3. Install new threaded steel bushings and new shaft into control arm, first sliding seals over shaft ends, with the smaller outside diameter on shaft shoulder, and position shaft between holes in control arm. Start both bushings onto shaft ends so that they will be centered on shaft after being completely threaded into control arm.

CAUTION: Make certain that round notch on shaft is on proper end of control arm when inserting shaft into holes in arm. Index tang on frame must fit into notch on shaft when shaft when shaft and arm is installed to frame.

4. Torque bushings to 100 foot pounds and make sure that the distance from each shaft shoulder to control arm inner surface is equalm thereby centering shaft in the arm. Install a grease fitting supplied into each bushing.
5. Install lower control arm assembly on the vehicle using original U-bolts and nuts. Torque nuts to 40-60 foot pounds for 1/2 ton vehicles or 80-100 foot pounds for 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles.
6. Install coil spring on arm and position ball joint stud into steering knuckle. Torque original slotted nut to 60-75 foot pounds for 1/2 ton vehicles or 100-125 foot pounds for 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles, and lock with a cotter pin.
7. Check front end alignment and adjust if necessary.

NOTE: The parts in this kit are designed to replace the worn or non-functioning original equipment parts in the vehicle as produced by the car factory. These parts are not designed for installation on vehicles where the suspension and/or steering systems have been modified for racing, competition, or any other purpose.

NOTE: THIS KIT MAY CONTAIN SELF TAPPING GREASE FITTING(S) FOR THREADED OR NON-THREADED HOLES.

FORM 2499 MOOG.

I hope this helps and gets moved to the tech side as it would be nice to be able to find this info when needed.

Thanks and God Bless,

Kev C.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
19Chevy67C10

I'm also in the Houston area and would help if you can bring em to the shop on a Saturday!

Kevin C.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
19Chevy67C10

Also, you mention buying to proper sockets to fit the control arm shaft bushings?

I ended up buying Metric sizes because the sockets for these bushings are BSW sizes and are very hard to come by. BSW= BRITISH STANDARD WHITWORTH.... The threads are also Whitworth threads on the O.D. of the bushings and the I.D. of the control arm shafts....

The sockets that will fit in the Metric version or the closest I could break it down to would be a Metric 36MM Socket for the upper bushings. And the lower bushings will accept a 42MM Metric socket.

Hope this helps.....
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Sandemonium
Proud owner of a 55.1 AD

Kevin,

Thank so much for the information. I hope this makes sticky status.

I do have a question on the instructions -

Do you have to have two 36mm and two 42mm sockets to install the cross shafts correctly?

Thanks again for the information.

Bob
Posted via Mobile Device
Sandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
jgrisafi
Velocity Speed Shop

19Chevy67C10, you mentioned that you worked in a shop and could help out if need. Can you let me know where? Thanks

Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
paintpyro

So no one else has had issues getting the end cap loose on the lower control arm shaft?
Posted via Mobile Device
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Can't help you on the shafts - just wanted to comment on using silver on the frame. Looks great!
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
19Chevy67C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrisafi View Post
19Chevy67C10, you mentioned that you worked in a shop and could help out if need. Can you let me know where? Thanks
Yeah bro, I can help ya out on the shafts getting them installed....PM your phone number and I'll give ya a call. The shop is located close to South Houston! God Bless,

Kev....
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
19Chevy67C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpyro View Post
So no one else has had issues getting the end cap loose on the lower control arm shaft?
Posted via Mobile Device
A good vice mounted to a heavy 4'' or 5'' thick steel table, 36'' Adjustable Cresent Wrench and cheater pipe and they come right out of course with a good air tools it's alot easier! Oh and I forgot if using the cresent wrench you might wanna add about 200+ pounds of a++ if they are frozen in!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
19Chevy67C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandemonium View Post
Kevin,

Thank so much for the information. I hope this makes sticky status.

I do have a question on the instructions -

Do you have to have two 36mm and two 42mm sockets to install the cross shafts correctly?

Thanks again for the information.

Bob
Posted via Mobile Device

Bob,

This is where it gets really tricky! good question,

Moog upper and lower shaft kits provide the install paper work and specify torques on both the upper and lower bushings.

The 1967 GM/Chevrolet Truck Chassis Service Manual also supplies their torques specs as well.

Here's whats the issue both of the torques specs are off from one another meaning Moogs is about 60 ft pounds less than the Service Manual calls for????? Why I cant explain maybe some one else can...

Now it only takes 1 of each of the sockets mentioned to torque the bushings in.

I believe the torque is bushing to shaft and not bushing to arm!, hence if you put 100-160 foot pounds on the lower control arm bushings on both sides I believe you would bend the arm up really bad....Idk though as I have not torqued mine in yet...I installed mine and it went fairly easy except for what was mentioned about taking the old ones out, that is the work/hard part of it all.

I also would have to advise what I would have done not having the shop, I would think to oil/soak the bushing areas really good over night or so, then attemp to pull the bushings and also if needed I might would use a bit of heat but I didn't on mine because of the set-up I have as tool's goes

God Bless and I hope this kinda explains things if not just leave another msg on here or pm me and I'll try to help the best I can!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
19Chevy67C10

Bob,

Also I have a quick question for ya, what is the sticky status????
Old 02-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #21
keh27

keh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #22
novice

I know this is an old thread but I have a question maybe you guys can help. Where does the indent go on the lower shaft? I'm not sure what "tang" the moog directions are referring to.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #23
novice

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:31 AM   #24
jonmc56

Please have a look at post #17 AND #24 of my build thread. As mentioned in #24, the dimple needs to be facing up and 'slightly' toward the center of the truck, facing away from the ball joint. I wish I could remember what 'slightly' meant. I think it was at about the 1 o'clock position, but it has been a while.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560841

Hope this is helpful.
Jon
jonmc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #25
novice

Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!. Beautiful truck by the way.