The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
kpc01

Tubular A Arm info needed (bagged 64)

I'm working on a 64 C10 and have tubular a arms with mustang II ball joints. That setup has 5x4.75 rotors on it but I'm trying to switch over to bigger McGuaghys big brakes and spindles that are 6 lug. This bigger spindle raises my upper A arm 1/2-3/4 inch higher then the mustang II spindle. Also I'll have to ream out my lower ball joint mount and weld in a sleeve for a larger ball joint.

My upper A arm and lower are close to parallel but not quite. How big of a deal is this? Just want to make sure I can run the bigger stuff and not effect its ride or laying out or any other things I'm not thinking of. Any advice or personal experiences?
Attached Images

kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Tubular A Arm info needed (bagged 64)

You can go through and measure everything including the rack location and the position of the tierod ends and look to see where all the angles will be at ride height. This will give you a starting point to see if it all looks reasonable. The next step is a bunch of work but the only way I know to do it and this will tell you how well it will drive. The process we used to check the bump steer on the drag cars we built was to set the caster, camber and toe at ride height and then raise the front up an inch at a time and remeasure the toe and repeat this for through the travel and then do the same thing for a couple of inches down. Some times we would have to move the rack and or the tie rod ends to get it under control. Caster gain, and ackerman are also important and a good bit harder to check. There is also software out there from guys like performance trends that will do all of it based on good measurements that is not that expensive and could save lots of time and some money. To do all the checks your self you at least need a decent caster camber gauge.
Jimmy
Software
http://www.auto-ware.com/software/asgp/asgp.htm
An online one that may help
http://www.racingaspirations.com/app...ry-calculator/
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc01 View Post
I'm working on a 64 C10 and have tubular a arms with mustang II ball joints. That setup has 5x4.75 rotors on it but I'm trying to switch over to bigger McGuaghys big brakes and spindles that are 6 lug. This bigger spindle raises my upper A arm 1/2-3/4 inch higher then the mustang II spindle. Also I'll have to ream out my lower ball joint mount and weld in a sleeve for a larger ball joint.

My upper A arm and lower are close to parallel but not quite. How big of a deal is this? Just want to make sure I can run the bigger stuff and not effect its ride or laying out or any other things I'm not thinking of. Any advice or personal experiences?
Looks like a Scott's set-up. What do they say?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
kpc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Looks like a Scott's set-up. What do they say?
It is their setup, I'll check to see what they say as well. The smaller 5blug setup came with their kit so I assume it's good to go on their end since it shipped that way, I already had the big brake kit saved from a while Back and would rather run them if its possible. Thanks for all the info, once I get them on there I'm going to do some measurements as well
kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc01 View Post
It is their setup, I'll check to see what they say as well. The smaller 5blug setup came with their kit so I assume it's good to go on their end since it shipped that way, I already had the big brake kit saved from a while Back and would rather run them if its possible. Thanks for all the info, once I get them on there I'm going to do some measurements as well
I thought they (Scott's) had a 5x5 big brake/MII spindle option as well. If so, it's possible later rotors w/a different pattern have been adapted from some type of late model truck/Viper set-up. Worth inquiring for sure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote