The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
414banger

lower control arm ?

i am getting ready to bag my 65 c10 and dont wont to change to a drop spindle right now but want to get as low as possible so i was thinking about dropping the spring pocket 2 inches what is a good way to do this i like the way shortbed70 did his by cutting a large section out and dropping it but i was wondering about getting a piece of pipe next size up from the lower bag bucket and recessing it where i can slip the bucket in and the airbag will set flush with lower control arm so im actually dropping it the height of the bucket
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: lower control arm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414banger View Post
i am getting ready to bag my 65 c10 and dont wont to change to a drop spindle right now but want to get as low as possible so i was thinking about dropping the spring pocket 2 inches what is a good way to do this i like the way shortbed70 did his by cutting a large section out and dropping it but i was wondering about getting a piece of pipe next size up from the lower bag bucket and recessing it where i can slip the bucket in and the airbag will set flush with lower control arm so im actually dropping it the height of the bucket
That has been a common way to go lower without buying any parts.... However, I would suggest purchasing a drop spring, or even cutting a coil off the springs you currently have over the drop-pocket idea. That will be much better than the dropped pocket.

When you drop the pocket, you lose ground clearance which could be a deal breaker depending on how low you are and what size wheel you have.

Also, remember that if you drop the pocket 2" it will equate to close to double out at the spindle due to the way the spring is levered on the arm.

Lots of guys have done this mod, but I would not recommend it.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
414banger

Re: lower control arm ?

How low can i get it with stock spindles then with airbags im also going with a 15*7 rim with a 235/70/15 up front if that helps any
Posted via Mobile Device
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote