The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
Baker819

How much contact do ball joint need in the taper?

I come from a background of installing big propellers on ships and inspected my new spindle and ball joints tapers. The ECE spindles had a semi smooth surface. The proforged ball joints were beautiful looking. I blue fit them and had maybe 50% contact with enough contact on the top and bottom to know they were correct. I used some lapping compound and got the spindles surface in the taper to me smooth and increased the contact to 70-80%. But the biggest end of the tapers do not touch. Averaging about 5/16" on no contact then 100% after that. When I install the ball joint and tighten it to about 60 lbs I get thats when I get the 70-80% contact... which even before I put a nut on its tight without wobble... itd just be really nice to not have the ball joint be not touching on one side.

Most people probably dont even blue fit the ball joints. With aftermarket parts and bad luck so far with my front end Im just be careful. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Baker819 is offline   Reply With Quote