The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
srfinatsunset

Which Battery are you using

Want to put in a new battery but with so many choices I figured I would ask here. I believe it's a size 75. But Optima, Red or Yellow, Interstate, Diehard, Autozone special, Odyssey. I know there is a little difference as in gel and lead with water. But really is there a difference? It's a weekend truck not my daily drive but I could.

1980 GMC C3500 Camper Special
srfinatsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #2
84lngbed

Re: Which Battery are you using

I'm using optima red top for my c10 and daily.
84lngbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
homemade87

AGM battery here . I like the fact that the AGM will not boil out acid when a cell goes bad like regular wet cell will . Keeps the corrosion down from a battery as well. Also never have to monitor the water level .

I am using a duracell AGM 78 in my 82 from sams club . Had the best price and also had a better warranty than most .

Most likely you could use the 78 series as well . More cranking amps .

Also keep it charged . AGM dont like to be discharge to low . Most auto battery's don't like it anyway , AGM seems not to like it more .

With all that said its still hard to beat a wet cell for forgiveness and performance as well as price .

Last edited by homemade87; 08-12-2017 at 06:54 AM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
cadillac_al

I would get a 78 series battery from whoever has a decent warranty. I got screwed by an Interstate dealer once so they are off my list now. Half my vehicles have Walmart batteries that seem to last a long time.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lngbed View Post
X2 here
Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
1774btcrew

I am using an Exide AGM battery. I love it.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Bandit130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lngbed View Post
X3. Have had no problems in over 2 years.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
Jeepwm69

Optima batteries are crap now, especially for the price.

I started buying Red Tops in 1998. Had a Jeep that started hard, and I dropped $$$ to get that first Red Top. It lasted 7 hard years on that Jeep. Winch, KC lights, and a carb with a sticky float that meant I had to crank and crank on it to get it started.

So I was an Optima fanboy. Put them on three Jeeps, a 4runner, two tractors, and two pickups.

Then Optima sold out to Johnson Controls, who promptly moved production to Mexico.

The last two Red Tops I bought both died in under a year. Yes, they were replaced under warranty, but when I pay that much for a battery, I shouldn't have to replace a $200 battery in under a year, much less two batteries. I still have a couple of Red Tops in service, but they don't hold charges for extended periods like the old ones did. I have to keep these in a Tender to keep them up. The Red Tops of old could sit on a Jeep for over a year and would still crank it up without issue.

Yes, some people have had good luck with the Mexican optimas, but some people have good luck with used batteries from Autozone too. Doesnt' mean I'm willing to shell out $200 for a "maybe" good battery.

Jeep boards have been voicing displeasure with Optima for the same reason. They look the same as the old good Optimas, but they aren't the same.

Odyssey is the best you can buy now, but they are pricey...real pricey.

I've started using Deka. Made in the US, and available locally for me. Have had good luck with them thus far. Their Intimidator is an AGM and that's what I prefer for the reasons homemade87 stated.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
AGM battery here . I like the fact that the AGM will not boil out acid when a cell goes bad like regular wet cell will . Keeps the corrosion down from a battery as well. Also never have to monitor the water level .

I am using a duracell AGM 78 in my 82 from sams club . Had the best price and also had a better warranty than most .

Most likely you could use the 78 series as well . More cranking amps .

Also keep it charged . AGM dont like to be discharge to low . Most auto battery's don't like it anyway , AGM seems not to like it more .

With all that said its still hard to beat a wet cell for forgiveness and performance as well as price .
Duracell are, I believe, made by East Penn/ Deka. I just bought a set of Duracell golf cart batteries and they were East Penn. Good brand.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
1774btcrew

I feel the same way about Mexican Optimas. I had owned several of the USA ones and was always happy with them. Then I bought a couple of the Mexican ones and won't ever buy another. Poor quality and just don't seem to last in the AZ heat. I have a Durcell AGM in my Hand the exide AGM in my 77 crew. They last way better than the new Optimas!

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
Mattchu60

I bought an AGM battery from Advance a year ago. Amazing battery so far.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
Killer Bee

we toss more red top optimas 2:1 over everything else combined

field guys like them cuz they fit most apps and ez handling..

suburban I bought recently came with a red top dated 12/15 dead as a door nail..

8hrs on an optima charger yielded 96cca / 13%, bad battery..

I ran an odyssey steel case in my class 7 truck that took full advantage of the performance characteristics..

we use odyssey pc2150 batteries at work for special apps where they utilize the high capacity..

that said, I buy good quality wet cell batteries with the best warranty I can find for my personal cars / trucks..

you really have to be working a battery hard to take advantage of 2x to 3x initial cost, and still have to treat it right..

the red top I recently replaced with an interstate gp24 from costco for $89 comes with 42 free replacement warranty..

do your homework and don't get sucked into flashy advertising
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

I've had good luck with WalMart MAXX batteries, currently running a MAXX 78S battery in my 83
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
RUN GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit130 View Post
X3. Have had no problems in over 2 years.
Same here but I get mine from Advanced Auto on the discount table they usually go for $65-$75 out of sale date....but i have never any problem with them yellow top in my 86 Regal & red top in my 87 & 98 GMC trucks.........
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #15
DBLSPRT68

I had 2 of the old red tops, they were excellent for many years. Had to replaced one of them under warranty and that one was crap; replaced that one = CRAP also!! The other one went with car when I sold it. I buy AutoZone Duralast Gold batteries now. They are rated very good in Consumer Reports and by ME! I had one sitting around for a few months on my bench, still had 12 volts when I "checked on it".
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
HTX86chevy

I'm using a 78X Exide brand battery from Homedepot.
40 month free replacement warranty. no complaints so far.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
truckin 79

I have recently started to get 25.00 batteries from the junkyard. I am not paying 100.00 for these crappy batteries that are out now a days. I also have a battery disconnect on battery cable on those days truck might be sitting for a week or two. You never know what parasitic electric gremlins might be lurking in the wires and draining the battery.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
wilkin250r

Maybe I've just had good luck, but I don't believe the Optima batteries are "junk", they're just not as good as they used to be. But the price is still the same.

I like the Optima batteries because I like the dual posts (top posts and side posts), it's much easier to hook up large accessories like a winch, or camper, or things of that nature. I also like the 34/78 because the posts are moved inwards towards the center of the battery. Most places list the 75/25 as the proper replacement for our vehicles, but the positive post is so close to the core support I'm always afraid of arcing when I jump start.

(most of this is probably irrelevant if you're still using the stock-style side posts and no accessories)
Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #19
Jsfucttruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
I feel the same way about Mexican Optimas. I had owned several of the USA ones and was always happy with them. Then I bought a couple of the Mexican ones and won't ever buy another. Poor quality and just don't seem to last in the AZ heat. I have a Durcell AGM in my Hand the exide AGM in my 77 crew. They last way better than the new Optimas!
I feel the same way about Optima.

I have since gone to Deka batteries.

Part # 9A78DT.. It specs out lower than tested. I have about 4 of these and they all have over 1000CCA! Great battery.
Jsfucttruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #20
abig84

interstate batteries have always impressed me. ive seen them last 8 years more then a few times.

i currently have dual ac delco batteries in my 1986 and both are 6 years old
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote