The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
Matt_50

Old wheel to newer column

You guys might like this. I recently got a 68 tilt auto steering column with no key for a Chevy truck. Thought it would look more stock like than an 80s or 90s column in my 50 3100. Anyways I got to doing some searches on keeping the original wheel. It's shape at the base doesn't fit but I thought someone might have fabbed something up. I was right!! I copied part of out conversation. Btw, splines match.

"Yes the hard rubber old wheel has a rubber boss on bottom that adapts to the skinny steering column. It spaces the wheel too high to fit on the stub shaft of the new column. I cut off the rubber and ground down the metal internal core, leaving that small ring of the steel for max interface with the stub shaft. The round steel disk (I said aluminum before but I remember it is steel) was glued on with 5 minute epoxy with both parts mounted on the new column for perfect indexing. Bondo sticks permanently to the steel ring and hard rubber. Don't worry about delamination there. All the repairs on the wheel are done with Bondo. I have tried the expensive epoxy putty made for that purpose and it is no better than good old Bondo. Both eventually hair-line crack. As far as I know there is little difference in the basic design of GM columns form the 70s thru the early 90s. The horn button insulator needed to be extended a bit for the thicker '53 wheel hub bout works identically to the new one other than that."
Attached Images