The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
chopsspcc

Thumbs down Re: 55-59 CPU Rear axle Flip Kit

hey Dave K, what all did you do to flip the axle? what did you do to lower the front?

Also, does anyone have any stock wheels for one of these trucks...I want to paint a set. This truck has some nast chrome wheels on it. Well, not nasty. Just fugly.
chopsspcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
NW Task Force

Re: 55-59 CPU Rear axle Flip Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnolimit View Post
There are a couple of reasons for flipping the shackle.

#1 By flipping the axle we lower the truck about 7 inches. When you flip the shackle hanger your actually going to lift the truck about an 1 1/2.

So if you want it as low as it will go dont flip the shackle hanger and remove the bumpstops and install a small c notch.

#2 We also do this to make the truck ride smoother. If you look at the stock style shackle hanger it is designed to carry a large load AKA a load bearing suspension. By flipping the shackle hanger we are duplicating a passenger car syle leaf spring which is a progressive supsension. Therefore the truck rides smoother like a passenger car and not like a truck that can carry two tons of hay.
Has anyone else on the board tried this? I am seriously thinking of doing it to my 57' It looks like the rearend will have plenty of travel. I was worried that "C" notching would have to be done in order to run the axle on top of the spring perch. I'd be interested in seeing more pics of this setup. I am using a similiar rear...... 83' Trans Am/factory discs & posi.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #28
youngsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
Has anyone else on the board tried this? I am seriously thinking of doing it to my 57' It looks like the rearend will have plenty of travel. I was worried that "C" notching would have to be done in order to run the axle on top of the spring perch. I'd be interested in seeing more pics of this setup. I am using a similiar rear...... 83' Trans Am/factory discs & posi.
I have tried it. The truck that is documented here is mine. Rides very smoothly and have yet to bottom out. It is not c-notched or boxed and I have uncut rubber bumpstops. The real test will be putting my Harley or a crate motor in the back. I suspect it may bottom out or rest on bumpstops. I have yet to have a heavy load to see.
youngsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #29
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsta View Post
I have tried it. The truck that is documented here is mine. Rides very smoothly and have yet to bottom out. It is not c-notched or boxed and I have uncut rubber bumpstops. The real test will be putting my Harley or a crate motor in the back. I suspect it may bottom out or rest on bumpstops. I have yet to have a heavy load to see.
Wow! It is cool that I can talk with the person who owns the truck featured in the original thread. Do you have any other pics of your rig? I wanted to see the overall "stance" on flat pavement. What about the front.......any lowering done to it? Thanks! awesome truck!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
youngsta

Ask and you shall receive.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #31
youngsta

And another.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #32
youngsta

Quote:
Wow! It is cool that I can talk with the person who owns the truck featured in the original thread. Do you have any other pics of your rig? I wanted to see the overall "stance" on flat pavement. What about the front.......any lowering done to it? Thanks! awesome truck!

Truck was star of thread called Camaro clip 55-59 No Limit style. And 55-59 bolt on brake kit. I'm using 2" inch drop spindles ride height is static handles terrific. No Limit has been doing these trucks for many years and they will always give you "safe" and expert advice.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #33
Wheelie

Whats the width of that axle outside to outside of hub? I have been thinking about getting one of those rear ends.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
youngsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
Whats the width of that axle outside to outside of hub? I have been thinking about getting one of those rear ends.
1986 camaro rear end 62" axle flange to axle flange.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
NW Task Force

Quote:
Truck was star of thread called Camaro clip 55-59 No Limit style. And 55-59 bolt on brake kit. I'm using 2" inch drop spindles ride height is static handles terrific. No Limit has been doing these trucks for many years and they will always give you "safe" and expert advice.
Sweet! Yes, I am familiar with the articles you are talking about. I really appreciate the pics! The ride stance looks good. I will be doing this axle flip job soon. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #36
youngsta

Always glad to help.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #37
NW Task Force

Question Re: 55-59 CPU Rear axle Flip Kit

Quote:
Always glad to help.
Oh, I forgot to ask you.........just want to clarify: When the spring perches are flipped, they are also moved 5/8" forward and new mounting holes are drilled? Just wanted to double check that before I drill.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #38
Choady

On the other hand...

If my axle is already flipped..

and I want the back of the truck a little higher...

by flipping the Spring perches, I can get the rear up about 1 1/2 inches?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #39
JumboAMONGus

wonder how low with some leafs removed , since missing some on my truck ,
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #40
youngsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboAMONGus View Post
wonder how low with some leafs removed , since missing some on my truck ,
This is my second 56. My first truck that I owned in the 1990s was done in this same manner. However some leaves were removed it loved to bottom out it was really rough riding. Your kidneys have been warned
Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
youngsta

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to ask you.........just want to clarify: When the spring perches are flipped, they are also moved 5/8" forward and new mounting holes are drilled? Just wanted to double check that before I drill.
That's pretty much it. But it probably wouldn't hurt if Rob or Michael chimed in with pointers.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #42
youngsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choady View Post
On the other hand...

If my axle is already flipped..

and I want the back of the truck a little higher...

by flipping the Spring perches, I can get the rear up about 1 1/2 inches?
If you do that I'm inclined to believe the bed will come down lower over your wheels.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #43
NW Task Force

Quote:
That's pretty much it. But it probably wouldn't hurt if Rob or Michael chimed in with pointers.
Oh ok, hope I can find out. I have also heard of No Limit Eng. "drop" shackles for the 55-59 trucks (I might be mistaken).......were these used on your truck or just stock ones re-used?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #44
NW Task Force

Question Re: 55-59 CPU Rear axle Flip Kit

I noticed that Micheal of No Limits has last been on the board in 2011....... looks like he is not on in recent times. One of the biggest things I am shopping for now is the axle conversion spring perches/bottom plates/u-bolts. I really want to know where to buy the ones used on Youngsta's truck. The bottom perch bracket incorporates the stock shock mounting design. Is this something No Limit sells as a kit or?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #45
meter swinger

just PM rob. aka "robnolimit", he's on here alot. usually in the "make it handle" thread on the suspension forum.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #46
robnolimit

Glad to see this being talked about. The numbers are the numbers. Flip the axle = 7" drop (on stock springs). If you flip the shackle assembly, it raises it 1 1/2" for a net of 5 1/2". The ride is better with the shackle flipped. It's only drill bits and bolts. DO IT !!!!

ps. by some teflon spring liner.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
JumboAMONGus

one question , how would you match the front to the rear end ,, if your going with stock set up , would the mono leaf springs do it or will it sit to low in rear ?
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #48
robnolimit

The front would need to come down 4" or so. Reverse eye mono, or Posies drop leaf would be close.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #49
vwjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
The front would need to come down 4" or so. Reverse eye mono, or Posies drop leaf would be close.
Interesting topic. I am considering flipping the axle axle for my '59 as we speak. My Posies front drops showed up yesterday. Unfortunately won't be installed for a few more months or as soon as I can finish the firewall and get the motor back in. Excited to see the stance and check the #'s to see if "the flip" will work for me. Thanks Rob... Some really good info here.
vwjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #50
NW Task Force

Question Where can I buy the kit?

Does anyone know where I can find/buy the spring perch kit shown in the picture? I would like to use a similiar kit because of the shock mounting arrangement (stock). Price & Place?
Attached Images