The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
Chris_oz

Recommendations on parts supply.

Hi all,

I am getting together a parts list for my Longhorn, I would like to ask for recommendations on where to buy.

I want to buy HIGH QUALITY parts, avoiding china junk if I can.

I need:
A/C stuff, hoses, filter, O-ring’s etc. it has factory air.
Maybe a heater core, I need to pressure test before I buy one.

Exterior door handles (mine are pitted)
Centre lap seat belt, buy I would like the buckle the same as the existing ones, (has factory lap retracts in black)
Seat upholstery, currently has black vinyl with hounds tooth insert, seat are embossed in centre section. Like to replace with the same.

HIGH QUALITY carb rebuild kit, it has 4 brl Rochester, all the ones out here are china garbage, wrong base gaskets, just a total waste of money.

Lower body mouldings, the wide alloy ones, I have a few with some damage, so factory style so they match would be great.

I have looked a few vendors who have been mentioned here, Pauls, LMC, heartbeat.
I would just like to know who sells decent stuff, shipping is too $$$$ to allow buying parts several times to get a nice one.

The Air Con is my priority, I have a few months before it 100 deg f ++ and plan on being cool.

Any help would be good.

PS:
Is it worth trying to get the cruise control working? Are they reliable? Mine has most of the stuff there, but harness is cut
and the switch in cab is missing (steering column mounted)

I also want to add power steer, but need everything, pump, mounts, hoses, box, pitman arm. Does anyone do a kit to suit a Small block with factory A/C?

Thanks
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
lintcollector

Re: Recommendations on parts supply.

I just placed my first order after comparing a few places and went with Classic Industries. I was looking mainly for rusted out floor parts and they had 25% off for another week or so. I should get my order Wed & can tell you if I made a good choice or not, but the salesman told me it was 16-17 gauge steel.

Here's my thread & folks input: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771563

If you find a good car rebuild kit, let me know from where. That project is coming up soon.

Good luck
lintcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Shoot Wes at Classic Heartbeat here on the board a PM. He only sells quality parts, and he has a stellar reputation. My guess is that he has probably sent parts to your part of the globe. Seriously, give him a shout.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
Ironhorse

First off, Welcome to the best GM truck web site on the net, bar none.
And we always welcome pictures of trucks and on going builds.

Another thing to consider besides the mentioned parts suppliers is to become a dues paying member. Best $25 a year US currency you will EVER spend on your truck. There are a LOT of good quality parts selling members here, several have some high quality NOS items. Being in the Land Down Under shipping will NOT be your friend unless you have a US address you can use then relay somehow to Australia.

Also, a nod for Wes at Classic Heartbeat, the man KNOWS his trucks. Have used him and GMC Paul both with great results.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:26 AM   #5
Chris_oz

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies, just what I wanted to hear.
I did some more checks this afternoon, the compressor is working fine, clutch is good, pulls a good vacuum and holds it.
The heater valve functions and has no leaks, the external air door actuator fonctions and holds a vacuum.
So I think that I will order the hose and muffler arrangement, driers, orings, small hose from drier to tx and pao replacement/upgrade.

I need to start another thread on the a/c. So many questions
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
68 P.O.S.

If you want high quality, that takes LMC out of the equation. I have personal experience with Classic Heartbeat and Frank's Pick-M-Ups on several occasions since they're local to me. Both Wes and Frank are great guys to do business with and have high quality products. Both are members here as well. I've heard great things about GMC Paul's as well.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
rpmerf

Here are the places I've used:
https://www.classicparts.com/ - Lots of good stuff. They deal specifically with these trucks, so you will find a lot of good stuff but it can get expensive.

https://www.rockauto.com/ - Mix of everything from junk to decent. I usually go here for engine, suspension, drive train, HVAC. AC Delco Professional series should be good, and Moog for anything suspension. Stay away from AC Delco Advantage - they are rebranded junk.

https://quadrajetparts.com/ - Everything you need for a quadrajet. I ordered a handful of parts from here. Seem decent. Good prices on things like gaskets, I buy them 5 at a time so I have spares.

https://www.summitracing.com/ - Lots of good parts, but not much specifically for our trucks. I've ordered a lot of small block parts and generic parts from here.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
clay68c10

Look into the POA update VS adjusting the valve before you spend the $$. I personally don't think its a good idea to do the "update". The POA system will get you colder, especially if you can locate R12.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
lintcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintcollector View Post
I just placed my first order after comparing a few places and went with Classic Industries. I was looking mainly for rusted out floor parts and they had 25% off for another week or so. I should get my order Wed & can tell you if I made a good choice or not, but the salesman told me it was 16-17 gauge steel.

Here's my thread & folks input: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771563

If you find a good car rebuild kit, let me know from where. That project is coming up soon.

Good luck
Just a follow up about the parts I ordered from Classic Industries, for the sake of reference in the future if anyone cares, or to remind myself more likely. Took 2 day UPS freight to arrive.

The outer cab floor panels were both 16 gauge steel. The smaller parts (front floor cab supports (2) and Front truck door hinge pillar (LH)) looks to be 18.5 gauge steel. The sending unit float & filter screen look alright, won't know if they work until I install them.
lintcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
notsolo

Quality parts are getting harder to get.....I Special orderd brake hoses from Napa only to find Chinese parts....Just ordered and got AC DELCO brake drums from Rockauto, $35.50 each...Chinese made but look to be like OEM and very nice....Good luck.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
If you want high quality, that takes LMC out of the equation....
I definitely second that, lol.
(I call them 15 minute parts...just enough time to take a few pics before selling the truck that they got mounted on, lol)

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote