The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
Barnfind46

E-brake cables on disk brake 14 bolt.

I was installing my 14 bolt out of a 2004 Chevy 2500 in to my '68 C-20 and I was looking for a clean way to hook up the emergency brake so I started looking at potential combinations that would work without much cutting and splicing. the newer rear axle has disk brakes. I found that the rear cable on the drivers side of a 2013 Tahoe was a possible fit. I brought one home and it fit the rear axle as it should and I looped it around and the front of the cable snapped right into the bracket on my trailing arm.The exposed part of the cable overlaps the C-20 cables from the front by about 8 or 10 inches. In the picture I have cheap hose clamps holding the cables together just as a mock up.I have replaced these with small cable clamps from the hardware store. I went back and got a second drivers side cable and it worked just as well on the passenger side.Once installed pull all the slack out that you can and tighten the clamps.Then they can be adjusted just as they were at the transmission cross member.I hope helps. I am currently sorting out the rest of the brakes but glad to have that out of the way.
Attached Images

Barnfind46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 AM   #2
twich3136

Re: E-brake cables on disk brake 14 bolt.

believe it or not i have the same setup using a 2001 semi float 14 bolt. however my e-brake cables have been zip tied to the frame rails for a couple years now. i havent been able to locate sorter cables so i was going to either fabricate new bracketry or have a local shop build me some custom cables. either way this is a bump

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
Barnfind46

Glad this helps. Here is the final product with the cable clamps. Truck passed inspection today. The guy couldn't figure out how to release the brake. Young whipper snappers.
Attached Images

Barnfind46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
jocko

That's hilarious. I used to go to full service gas stations when I had a 57 bel air just to watch em walk around the car a few times...

(back when they had full service, that is - yes, I guess I'm dating myself a bit...)
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote