The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
8man

3rd brake light

I live in a college town and I need to make sure the texters see the brake lights. I was thinking of how to add a 3rd brake light. So I was wondering what others have done.

I was looking at this one from Chevs of the 40s, https://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/1...Long_X_12.html

Here is the write up, but the picture didn't come through.
Led 3rd Brake Light. 30 Led Strip 7-1/2" Long X 1/2" High
Item # WASL58SMB
LED 3rd Brake Light - Flush Mount. Single unit, 60 LED strip (7-1/2" x 1/2") with aluminum housing. Only 1" of back spacing needed to mount housing. The 1/4" thick acrylic lens allows you to fit light into curved fenders, roll pans and pickup bed corners and form them for that seamless look (the acrylic lenses are not intended to be bent-sand down to make smooth curves). Single intensity 3rd brake light. Weld-in or glass-in studs for mounting are included, as well as quality instructions. Red LEDs shine through red lenses with diffusers.

I was thinking of welding it in, either just below or above the rear window. Has anyone had any success with a 3rd brake light?
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 3rd brake light

I bought an LED 3rd brake light that mounts in the back window on Ebay but haven't tried it. I wanted something that would show up when I hit the brakes but was a bit on the discrete side due to my build plans.

Can't blame you for wanting more stop light showing, a lot of these drivers now have never seen vehicles without a 3rd brake light or huge stop lights on a regular basis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
mikebte

Not sure what year your rig is, assuming an AD. but if its a TF one of the other members is using a ford Ranger 3rd light.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...713560&page=72
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
oldman3

Robert, I installed mine just below the bed line, because I cut the top off. In was also a weld in unit. Here's a couple pics....Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
my56chevytruck

Here's what I've used it's on a pedestal that swivels. I screwed the base to the back of the cab centered underneath the rear window
https://static.summitracing.com/glob...9909_hx_ml.jpg
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
SanJosesSteve

I installed a 4' length of red LED strip light under my tailgate / above the rear bumper. You really cant see it while parked but if you are in a car behind me, you can. You can really see it at night when I think it's needed most.

I didn't install it on my truck, (....but may in the future) but on another old car we own, I also installed at strobe controller for the LED strip light. It sends a series of pulses to the light that makes it bling very rapidly for the 1st few seconds you apply the brakes. It is a real attention getter in the dark. It flashes the brake lights way faster than I could do with my foot.

Cheap and easy to install. -Steve

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Alert-Fa...+flasher&psc=1
Old 09-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
8man

Thanks guys. I have some planning to do. I'm a long way away from electrical, but if I'm going to put something in permanently, it's time.

Whatever I do, I'm using that strobe!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
vintovka

I put a 12" led light just below the tailgate and visible above the bumper. With the 4" lift it is very visible to regular height cars and such. We have an abundance of pot heads and texters here. Maybe even some pot head texters too. The local Sheriff says accidents and DUIs are up especially during the tourist season. FWIW Bicyclists on Oregon 101 seem to have a very high mortality rate. Not sure its law but flashing rear red and white front lights really help to see them. Especially important when they think the road is theirs and ride stupidly.

Light position is on page 4 of attached build thread.

Last edited by vintovka; 09-28-2018 at 05:06 PM.
vintovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
MARTINSR

I have really studied traffic on many levels. One thing is people DRIVE BY the brake lights on the car in front of them. A plane could crash on the street three cars ahead and they wouldn't see it, ALL they are looking at are the brake lights of the car in front of them.

Thus, personally, I wouldn't put the light down under the tailgate. With the lift as vintovka describes that could make a difference. But I still think up higher is needed. I would put it on the back of the cab or in the rear window or in the top of the tailgate because that is where all other cars third brake light is mounted, that is what they are used to seeing, can't throw them a curveball they aren't going to see it.

I changed the switch on my Rambler daily driver so that it's mechanical on the brake pedal (mid sixties Ford) now I only have to move the brake pedal about a quarter inch or less to light the brake lights. I can tap on the brake pedal flashing the brake lights without putting my brakes on. I have found people react to it big time, they back off, they slow down, it's pretty remarkable how good it works.

I also put reflectors cut from a late model car in the tail lights, that worked GREAT. Those suckers shine now!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
8man

I'm in agreement with everything you said.

I just ordered a Ron Francis universal fit 3rd brake light.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TD%2D1R

I plan on trying to fit it over the rear window. Luckily I have a sacrificial cab for such "test fits". If it works there, great, if not I'll try it below the rear window. If for any reason I can't get it to fit in either location, then I'm getting the one in the rear window for the truck.

Any way I go, I'm getting that flasher unit to "strobe" the brake light for a few seconds prior to going LED red. I'm also going with LED brake and turn lights to help brighten up the rear.

The more I can make others LOOK my way, the better.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
I'm in agreement with everything you said.

I just ordered a Ron Francis universal fit 3rd brake light.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TD%2D1R

I plan on trying to fit it over the rear window. Luckily I have a sacrificial cab for such "test fits". If it works there, great, if not I'll try it below the rear window. If for any reason I can't get it to fit in either location, then I'm getting the one in the rear window for the truck.

Any way I go, I'm getting that flasher unit to "strobe" the brake light for a few seconds prior to going LED red. I'm also going with LED brake and turn lights to help brighten up the rear.

The more I can make others LOOK my way, the better.
I don't know about the LED, I bought a couple of different ones that fit into the 1157 socket and they SUCKED. My reflectors I made worked WAY better with the 1157's than the LED did with or without them.

Brian

Old 09-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
65blackfleetside

I purchased some round two inch- 2 way LED lights to install recessed into the rolled steel ends of my 51 AD for added protection . What I like about these lights is they turn white when in reverse and also turn Red for brakes. same light but very small. I realize that the later year chevy's 55 plus don't have these rounded bed pocket/ends but if I was going to cut i large light into my cab I would install one that didn't draw your eye there until it was lit. Not sure if that is possible?

How about an older 80's style that mounts up against the rear window inside the cab? All of the cars in late 80's had them - Thats when the National Highway Safety Board came out with their study on 3rd brake lights. I think all passenger vehicles were required to equipped 3rd brake lights around then. I remember there being a visor around the light so the light would not flood the interior of the car. If you put a light tint on the back window it would conceal this 3rd light even more.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
vintovka

Having as much rear brake light visible as possible is really important for those who travel on winding roads in coastal areas. 101 can be hazardous due to landslides and frequent stops for road work. I always hit the emergency flashers when stopped and no one is behind me. Tough to go from 60 to zero on a blind turn with little notice.
vintovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Having as much rear brake light visible as possible is really important for those who travel on winding roads in coastal areas. 101 can be hazardous due to landslides and frequent stops for road work. I always hit the emergency flashers when stopped and no one is behind me. Tough to go from 60 to zero on a blind turn with little notice.
Yep, that is always scary looking in the rear view mirror sitting there stopped!

Brian

Old 09-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
_Ogre

4 feet of led strip.
brakes and brake/tail
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #16
8man

Lots of light!
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
Old 10-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #17
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Lots of light!
yes, the more the better, people don't see anymore than they want to. I used an LED 3rd brake light as well as LED taillights. they are so bright and look good.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #18
iowaboynca

I still really like what dwcsr did with one of his builds.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...569491&page=10

Light work starts w/post #240
Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #19
8man

He did a good job. I got to meet him, but he was gone before I go to learn from him. My loss.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204