The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #26
schovil69

Re: 'Ole Green' - 1970 Chevy C10 Engine Rebuild

The pushrods made the best pattern at 7.0" so that's what was ordered. They were Trick Flow branded pushrods. The new lifts and pushrods are in along with the rockers. Pre-load on the rockers is complete. I have another project for a nephew that needs completed before I can get back on this one.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:14 PM   #27
schovil69

The weekend was productive. I was able to button up my nephew's head gasket job for his 2005 Equinox and get him back on the road. So, yesterday, I went over and finished reassembly of the pickup engine. I haven't fired it up yet, allowing some cure time on the RTV used under the intake. I'm planning to swing by there today on my way home from work to fire it up. Using a photo I had taken to reference where the distributor was set I was able to set it in just about the same location so it should fire off right away with fuel still in the carb.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #28
schovil69

Fired up the engine yesterday. Results are the engine ran poorly with a very rich smelling exhaust. Since I intended to just fire it up and maybe adjust the timing I was not prepared, nor did I have time, for diving into it any further last night. I believe some rockers are adjusted too tight leaving some valves off their seats. It sure sounds like it, anyways. That, or I somehow managed to drop the distributor in on the wrong tooth. I am happy to report there does not appear to be any noise coming from the valvetrain. Hopefully, tonight will be the last time I have to mess with it.

Last edited by schovil69; 10-18-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #29
schovil69

Checked the distributor and it was dead on so I climbed under the pickup and removed the three torque converter bolts to gain access to the flywheel bolts. There was not enough space to get a wrench in there and I was not able to push the converter back far enough to make a difference. But, we figured starting it with the converter disconnected would help eliminate the flywheel as the culprit of this new sound. No such luck so back together that went.

The next thought was maybe the rotor was hitting the cap. Getting to the distributor I immediately saw two hold-downs were not latched, so latched 'em and fired it up. The sound persisted, engine runs good, revs good, hold the RPM's up for a bit and the noise *POOF*...it disappeared. Ensure the timing was set and adjusted the idle then took it for a short cruise through the neighborhood. Project New Engine is complied with.