The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #26
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Re: My new toy, dub'd "The BIG Unit" by a previous owner!

I know a couple of people that have imported cars from the US, one friend bought a Ford Expedition in Florida and a couple of years later a new Mustang, some other friends are building what they hope to be a seven second 68 Impala coupe based on a bodyshell sourced from your side of the pond. Its not that hard really although its a hell of a lot cheaper from the east coast than from the west. Older cars are easier as the test they have to pass when they arrive is a lot simpler than for a new vehicle. Trouble is once you add the shipping costs and taxes etc it adds up.

I guess a lot of the European vehicles you're seeing may well be on a round the world trip, that kind of adventure travel is big business, many will have been down in South America first.

Maybe when the kids are a little older it'll be time for another US road trip with some cash in my pocket this time, I guess I could always buy one from a dry state like yours and drive across to the east coast and put it on a boat! I liked rizona when we paid a brief visit a few years ago.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #27
70rs/ss

Yeah, AZ, CA, NM, NV are all decent states to look into and the drive to the right coast isn't too bad, I delivered a Burb I sold to NC which was spittin' distance from the Ocean. It's kinda odd to hear how our "American" cars are so hot there, but then again with so many Bimmers, Mercedes, etc a Bowtie every now and then just seems RIGHT!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #28
1956cameo

I am glad everyone likes the idea of a suburban road trip. I was throwing it out there to see what everyones response would be. I guess we will see if anything ever materializes. Would have to have it in a somewhat centrally located area.

My dad just picked up a 72 burb as well. He called me today to say he got it running and driving. He is hoping to have it legal within a week or so.

Here in Houston we have the second largest port in the nation. Needless to say I see and hear about alot of southwestern classic vehicles bieng shipped to Europe from here. It makes sense since it is the closest port in the Atlantic for AZ,NM, NV, CA, and Texas.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #29
70rs/ss

1956 cameo, don't think I let you off the hook, I still want your burb!! once I am up and running, maybe a trade?? I like the color of your's and want to roll in a dark green Burb that'll match my Dark Green 70 Camaro!!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #30
heavy71chevy

nice score my man...That upoulsry...is that a factory cover? I had the same and thought it was a replacement cause it didnt have the scroll work
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #31
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy71chevy View Post
nice score my man...That upoulsry...is that a factory cover? I had the same and thought it was a replacement cause it didnt have the scroll work
Front seat is a recover, the rear two seats are factory original covers.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #32
lks dcvn

Nice score Mike!
lks dcvn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #33
1956cameo

Hey 70rs/ss, I thought since you got this burb you were simply going to paint your Camaro toothpaste green!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #34
70rs/ss

Uh NO! Dark metallic (95 Vette POLO GREEN to be exact!) Is the way I roll!! This Burb will stay white as the 68 clip I picked up is white and more or less matches the burb color for now, and besides my late model vehicles, the Burb is the only one I own that is more or less all one color!! Down the road I see dark green w/tan interior!! (I have the seats out of a late model burb in tan fabric, so tan and green, but way later on down the road, I need to finish the 94 camaro in the driveway, lksdcvn's Blazer in the Garage and a few others, then a trans and drive the Burb, oh after I finish the 68 clip install that is!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #35
1956cameo

So when (roughly) do you think you will have the burb on the road? If I were you, once I got it running I would take it to the grand canyon for some amazing photo ops. Especially after it is painted.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #36
70rs/ss

I hope to get her at least running and driving in the next month or so. I'll also throw the 68 clip on it then too. I have to get cracking on the 72 Blazer I sold as the new owner plans to come in AUg to pick it up!! After that, the Burb will live again!

I honestly was dreaming about taking it to Yellowstone, but that trip is only about 2 weeks away! GC is an easy trip, only about 2 hours from here so yeah I may do that one!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #37
rambler
MOVE OVER

nice score, and I agree on the front clip, I've never seen one in such good condition either...
Old 06-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #38
1956cameo

Sounds good. My dad took his 77 k-5 blazer to Yellowstone shortly after we restored it. Unfortunately I didn't get to go with him, but he had some great stories about when he was there. He also sent me some cool pics of it in the park.

Out of all the states I have been to and all the places I have seen, so far the Grand Canyon is my favorite place. I cant wait until my son is older so I can take him there. Would like to go in one of my old vehicles but I dont think my wife will let me go across country with our children in an old vehicle.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #39
vectorit
What?

I'd be down with a burb get together for sure!
That would be some awesome photo ops!

I have always planned on taking a long rode trip in my burb when she is all done, and the way things are turning out I may just be able to do that this year? More of test run to make sure all the bugs are out, but I do plan on doing longer trips afterwards.

I will probably take my first trip up to show my Mother the old girl on the Central coast of CA. She lives right off hwy 1 in a tiny little town North of Moro Bay, so doing a maiden voyage up the coast will be an awesome one for sure.

Congrats on the burb! Good to see it go to a good home.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #40
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I'd be down with a burb get together for sure!
That would be some awesome photo ops!

I have always planned on taking a long rode trip in my burb when she is all done, and the way things are turning out I may just be able to do that this year? More of test run to make sure all the bugs are out, but I do plan on doing longer trips afterwards.

I will probably take my first trip up to show my Mother the old girl on the Central coast of CA. She lives right off hwy 1 in a tiny little town North of Moro Bay, so doing a maiden voyage up the coast will be an awesome one for sure.

Congrats on the burb! Good to see it go to a good home.
You ought to come over this weekend - it's the Pismo show and I know a bunch of board members will be there. I'm gonna float through, maybe even drive my '67.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #41
vectorit
What?

Hey thanks for the invite! But I am not gonna be able to get away this weekend, since there are too many family things going on right now for me. I am hoping to get up that way late August, since thats when I will be on vacation and my interior should be pretty much done.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #42
70rs/ss

I think I am just going to clean it up and ensure all things work as they should and drive it, like I said it is a bit of a stripped Burb so I'd like to do a carpet kit and some dynomat and some other stuff, but I'll drive it as is for a while anyways! I am tired of buying a vehicle and tearing it apart only to never really "finish it!"
Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #43
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Great find Mike. I'm sure it'll be sick when you are finished with it. And maybe you'll hang on to it for a bit.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #44
70rs/ss

I have ADD so the hunt and build part are the things I enjoy, driving/owning is tough for me, always looking for my next new project. I'll keep it around though, I'd like it to be come my family mover as $700 a month truck payments are BS!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #45
jorgensensc

Dude! Nice score. Sorry I haven't been in touch, but this house adition is killing me! I have been spending every waking minute/dollar on it, and I'm still not done! Sheetrock goes in today though!! Did I spy a roof rack? You know I'm still looking for one for the wifeys burb. Speaking of which, I can't wait to get back to working on cars again, this house crap is for the birds!
Talk to you soon!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #46
70rs/ss

Yep roofrack, doubt it is a burb rack, but it fit the roof contours pretty good. It isn't perfect, but it is all there and has the strips that go on the roof to protect the panit from luggage etc. I doubt I'll use it, so if you want it, LMK? I hear ya on the hause stuff, I tiled and redid a good portion of my old house, it was long and tedious, but in the end the results were well worth the hassle!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #47
justcuz

If you decide to sell the grille and bumper, let me know, I'd like them for my 71
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #48
70rs/ss

I sold the whole clip, sorry. I think I gave the member a pretty darn good deal too, $200 complete!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #49
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

this is not the place to be asking for parts.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #50
70rs/ss

OOPS sorry about the parts thing?

HEY I forgot to post this part!! Awhile back in this thread we talked about how cool it would be to do the Yellowstone trip in a Burb, well guess what I saw at Yellowstone!! Yep a Burb!! My wife pointed it out, but I wasn't paying attention, then I saw it too late to grab the camera and shoot a pict of it!! On a side note there were a lot of "look at me cars" as well (Vettes for those who don't call em like I see em!) I even saw the 09 or 10 ZR1 there as well, it was sweet I'd have one in a second, but the flippin' price tag kinda stops me!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 07-09-2009 at 12:38 PM.