The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
RainDog

How to create a ground?

Hey guys---say I'm trying to eliminate some electrical Gremlins in my truck that seem to be hanging around the radio, turn signal, and tail lights, and I was pretty sure they're the result of a series of bad grounds--what's the easiest way to make a "new" ground for the circuit without tearing into my wiring? Can I just attach something metal that will conduct 12 volts no prob from the wire to the cab/frame/etc.? Or is it more complicated than that? Hope that question makes sense!

RainDog
Old 03-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Its easy, connect the negative battery cable to the frame and body with some good connections!

The "ground"on a vehicle is basically just like a wire except it is not covered by insulation and it flows through anything that is metal.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
RainDog

So, if I have a grounding problem now somewhere, will creating a good ground fix that?

RainDog
Old 03-11-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Well, either creating a better one from the battery to the frame and body, or creating a better ground at the accesory. Try testing your ground before doing unneeded rewiring.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
COBALT

Any 12v auto circuit works by a difference between full potential (12v) and zero potential (relative ground, or near-0v) with measurable resistance so current will flow. Auto circuits don't have true grounds - in other words they don't terminate to a ground source like you'd see with household wiring. Since there isn't a true ground there's generally only two wires for every circuit: a power and a neutral for relative ground. Your live circuits that provide 12v should be insulated from the cab, frame, engine, and sheetmetal, so any ground to any circuit in your truck is connected to these things to create the difference in potential between 12v and 0v.

To make a ground that you can rely on to have near-0v:

1. Find a reliable 12v circuit that doesn't have a short or bleeds current off to another source. Make sure that's powering your circuit.

2. Find bare metal on your cab, frame, engine, or sheetmetal of your fenders, bed, or wherever, and mount a steel, brass, or copper screw.

3. Tie your (-) side of your circuit to that screw, and your circuit should be properly grounded.

A fast way to test grounds is to get an automotive tester with a 12v bulb in the handle. It should have a wire hanging out with an alegator clip you can connect to a power source, and it should be pointed like an awl so you can touch various parts of your truck to see if the bulb lights up. If it does (and it lights up FULLY) you just found a ground.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Here's my recommendation on grounding. Cable from battery to block. The rest uses 10 gauge wire. Battery to inner fender and inner fender to frame, using a common connection. Also wire from frame to bed. Sand all paint and rust from mating surfaces and assemble connections with di-electric grease. If you're having problems with the instrument panel, add a ground to that, too.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
RainDog

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm still a little confused, but as soon as this rain quits I'm going to get to work. This beast is ALMOST ready to drive; When I bought her, she had no exhaust, no license plates, no windshield wipers, no turn signals, and a bad tail light--All I have left to fix is the turn signals and tail light! I'll keep you posted,

RainDog
Old 03-11-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
tim m

When I do anything with grounding, I drill and tap the hole, usually use 1/4-20. Then you dont have to worry about removing the paint.
tim m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 05:40 AM   #9
ZOOMY

ground

Fre t hit it right on the money, except he forgot frame to cab unless he meant cab frame. You can't over ground, but you sure can under ground........Zoomy
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote