The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #1
7071lwb

Sleeper 1970

About a year ago I was on my way to work and saw this truck. It was titled as a 1970 C10 but had the 71-72 grille and front disc brakes. I was told it came off a farm in North Carolina so I am not sure when the conversion happened.

I also had this rendering done.

Then I found this truck for sale for $1200, and 500 of that was just for the drivetrain. It already had a high hump from the 3 speed that used to be in it and the cab was in much better shape, especially around the windshield.

Truck currently has a mostly stock 350 and a turbo 350. It barely runs and the wiring is hacked but it moves. Since I bought this stepside I have been buying all the parts I can find off craigslist. A mint front clip, a bed, another hood, various pieces of sheetmetal, wheels and some other drivetrain related parts.

[IMG[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My plans with this truck is to lower it the right way with drop spindles and lowering springs instead of the heated ones it has now. I also want four wheel disc brakes to help stop it. For the drivetrain I'm planning on a standard 350 but with a B&M 144. Transmission will be a T-56. I already have a used blower and transmission. I'm hoping somebody giving the truck a passing glance wont notice some of these parts and will just assume I have another old, slow truck. It will be fun to surprise people at an autocross track and at red lights.

My only hold up so far is the rear frame. I recently sold the bed that came off the truck and saw that its pretty much shot so I'm trying to decide whether or not to go with a Nolimit frame rail set or get a used frame and swap/weld where needed. I'm not sure where to go on this since the front half of my frame is in real good shape and I hate to see any parts from these trucks just get scrapped.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
GR8-68

Re: Sleeper 1970

Looks like a great start to a cool project. You can dix that frame, that is a common place for them to rust, drill out those rivets and see the underlying damage.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
7071lwb

The frame is rusted through from the first bed mount back. I've tried searching on the forum but could not find very much about repairing this much of the frame.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
7071lwb

Finally had time to do some work to the truck this weekend so I pulled the old front clip off and put my other one on.
Hood off

Everything off

New fenders, radiator support,etc

Finished product

I'm thinking I will put the 1970 grille back on but I'm still not sure yet. I have decided to go with a No Limit rear rail kit though to fix the rear frame. Hoping to either fix the cab this winter or get the suspension done.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
7071lwb

Time for an overdue update.
NoLimit Frame Rails fresh out of the box:

Disassembly:

No turning back now:

Here's where things start to go downhill. Got the frame rails on and realized they are made to fit over a straight section of frame, not a curved section like on a stock short bed frame. Also had some issues with holes lining up on the crossmembers. After modifying the frame I got it mostly together and will just make my own crossmember.
Truck also got new trailing arms and the rear bags mounted.

Got it rolled outside eventually and threw a bed I had laying around to see how everything looked. The front is sitting on the bumpstops(PO's work, not mine.) The bed floor also needs to be raised 4 inches still.

A couple weeks ago the cab came off. Its a little worse than I thought but still workable, although I am going to keep an eye out for a better one. Apparently I forgot to get pictures of the cab on the dolly but I will tomorrow. I'm hoping to get it sandblasted soon and to get the frame squared up and welded so that I can get that blasted too. I also need to find a gas tank since the blazer tank I bought won't fit in between the frame rails anymore.