The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #26
Foot Stomper

Re: Should I keep stock bench seat?

For the first time in many years, I recently drove the family's 1959 GMC 1/2 to my buddies house so that he can do a frame off restoration.

The problem I had while driving over to his place was the steering wheel was rubbing my shirt just above my belly button!! When I drove this very same truck to high school in the late 70's I didn't have this problem so I am at a loss of what's changed!

Since I only wear the highest quality tee shirts, I don't want to ruin any of them by wearing a crescent shaped hole in the front of any of them.

Any suggestions on a remedy? The seat was pushed back all the way so do I need to remove the "behind the seat" tank and reposition the seat farther back? Perhaps a smaller steering wheel is the answer? Maybe my father put too much padding in the seat upholstery and some needs to be removed? Maybe the steering wheel is not the stock wheel and father put a much bigger wheel than the stock one?

Assuming I am not the first guy to have this problem I am open to any suggestions or advice. All suggestions will appreciated but know that I may refuse to accept or deny action on any of them. I searched eBay for a shirt sheath made of super smooth leather than I could strap on but no one seems to have such a thing.

If you need pictures of the seat, steering wheel or truck, let me know.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #27
_Ogre

just throwing this out there...
nothing on truk is stock other than the sheetmetal
i used 07 ford fusion bucket seats with the headrest removed and a 6'' chop
these ended up being very comfortable for long cruises, 3 hot rod power tours comfortable
with all the work i did to them i needed custom upholstery, it was not the cheap way to go
with a big back window i chose lap belt only

i'm 6'4'' and raised the seat bottom 2'' above the stock seat height

here's the chop line

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #28
Old Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
For the first time in many years, I recently drove the family's 1959 GMC 1/2 to my buddies house so that he can do a frame off restoration.

The problem I had while driving over to his place was the steering wheel was rubbing my shirt just above my belly button!! When I drove this very same truck to high school in the late 70's I didn't have this problem so I am at a loss of what's changed!

Since I only wear the highest quality tee shirts, I don't want to ruin any of them by wearing a crescent shaped hole in the front of any of them.

Any suggestions on a remedy? The seat was pushed back all the way so do I need to remove the "behind the seat" tank and reposition the seat farther back? Perhaps a smaller steering wheel is the answer? Maybe my father put too much padding in the seat upholstery and some needs to be removed? Maybe the steering wheel is not the stock wheel and father put a much bigger wheel than the stock one?

Assuming I am not the first guy to have this problem I am open to any suggestions or advice. All suggestions will appreciated but know that I may refuse to accept or deny action on any of them. I searched eBay for a shirt sheath made of super smooth leather than I could strap on but no one seems to have such a thing.

If you need pictures of the seat, steering wheel or truck, let me know.
Awesome post! Don't suppose they sell Nutri-System in Canada, eh?

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #29
50 Chevy LS3

I looked around and found an original seat, actually two, just so I could retain the "old truck" interior look. The exposed tubing, the artfully designed seat rail covers, just look correct. They will be painted to match everything else, in base/clear. I will install lap belts, but, no shoulder belt, probably.
Hey, I grew up in the sixtys...loose in the back seat...
50 Chevy LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #30
GreasyLikeaBurger

Another option is to have the original seat modified(ie. springs, pads, leather/alcantara) and get an armrest fitted into it. The guy that had the first Icon Motorsports 3100 built, had stopped by our shop(to drop his other car off), and I saw the interior of it, really clean. Modern but still had that old feel to it. The seat was really nice. Has a fold down rear armrest, but it folds up and blends with the seat back really well.

GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote