The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
ChrisCostlow

Talking Has anyone bought Blazer door shells?

I have a 72 CST and the bottoms of the doors are completely rusted out. I'd love to replace the doors completely with new shells and hardware.

I'm curious. Has anyone here bought new shells? Know anyone who has? Is it worth the price? Do the 72 shells have the hole for the screw underneath the wing window?

I just replaced the carpet with new stuff from stockinteriors.com, bolted in new Corbeau Baja XRS seats, put the USA-630 radio, amp, and speakers in, got the dash cluster in the mail from Bowtie Bits, fabricated the rear interior panels from drawings I got here on the board and carpeted them, and replaced the weatherstripping for the doors. Two months ago I had both axles, the tranny, and transfer case rebuilt.

Here's the kicker though...

Tomorrow She goes in for a new heart. 330HP Chevy crate motor, HEI ignition, and Holley Terminator throttle body fuel injection. Yee haw!

So, anyone ever bought new door shells? That's the last thing my Wife will let me buy... though I might not have to beg after selling the old buckets and dash cluster.

Thanks in Advance!
Chris
ChrisCostlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Blazerowner

Re: Has anyone bought Blazer door shells?

I bought new shells a few years back and they were pretty nice. I can't remember if the had the holes under the vent window. From what I remember everything fit well and they fit like the originals.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I bought new shells a few years back and they were pretty nice. I can't remember if the had the holes under the vent window. From what I remember everything fit well and they fit like the originals.
Where did you get your doors? I've looked at what AMD has, but have yet to pull the trigger. For the most part everyone on the board seems pretty much consistent in their dissatisfaction with reproduction sheet metal. My Blazer goes to the body shop next month so I've been hunting and gathering in preparation. I need a drivers side door myself (it's a previous replacement from a truck that has split)...I procured reinforcement plates and am prepared either way: oem Blazer, oem truck or new Blazer.

If you or anyone else could comment more on your experience with repop Blazer doors and the manufacturer...I'd appreciate it too.
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Blazerowner

I can't remember who they were from but from research most sheet metal are all basically from dynacorn. That's what the boxes said when I bought them. AMD makes some of their own parts but not all so you have to ask otherwise it will be dynacorn. They can be hit or miss. I have an aftermarket fender on my chevelle and while it fits decent it doesn't fit as well as original. I have even found another original fender to replace it. I bought a tailgate and a hood back then and the tailgate was a joke. The hood fit great so you never know.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
69-72

I thought it would be a great idea to get repro doors it would save a ton of time fixing mine. $800 later and they don't fit. I can't get a gap on the latch side. The problem is visible on where the metal is formed at the hinge mounting area on the new doors, there is about a 1/4" difference.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
69-72

And.....
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
IronCanine
I'm trying....

69-72 who manufactured the doors you got? Did you get the pre-cut "Blazer" doors?...and thanks for taking time to post pics.

Brad
Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
69-72

One is a Tri-Plus I think, the other was from AMD, might be a Tri-Plus as well I will check later. One was a Blazer door and the other a truck door I cut down. Just hope I can sell these things somehow.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
69-72

Yup both Tri-Plus

Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Thanks for the info. Gonna stay on the hunt for some clean OEMs then.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
Chulisohombre

If its just the lower side you can do lower door skins. I got mine from lmc and they fit good. Just got to measure and make sure You are Correct before you cut the lower off your doors. I did outer and inner skins on my drivers door.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
72blaz

I'm not liking how this thread is going.. I am in the process of replacing the bedsides on my 72 and next up are the doors and hood... I haven't seen anyone say where to buy doors that work great yet... Although it seems like Classic Heartbeat has pretty good comments...so I'm hoping those doors are good.

Check out my build:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560741
72blaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
Chulisohombre

I've never bought anything from them but I've been hearing good thigs about gmc Paul's. maybe look into their stuff. Brothers trucks I've bought from too and haven't had a problem with their stuff yet.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #14
Blazerowner

Almost all repo parts are dynacorn with a different box thrown on them. It can be hit or miss with these parts since they are lower quality than the originals. They just never fit the same. A good body man can make stuff look good but you are going to pay for that unless you know someone. I'm fortunate and have a good friend who is a great body man. The skins are one of the best ways to go since you can just weld them in and basically have a new door.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
70K5AK

A bit of a thread revival-- what's a set of OE blazer doors worth?
70K5AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #16
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70K5AK View Post
A bit of a thread revival-- what's a set of OE blazer doors worth?
Condition dictates 95% of value. Amount of rust, dents, bondo, etc. The year they were manufactured can also play a role. 1972 Blazer door shells were a one year deal with the recessed screw below the vent windows.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Chulisohombre

I didn't like the thought of having to redo the internals in mine. So I went with doorskins instead of complete doors. It worked out well but I needed to reinforce the door hinge area more than what the skin could provide. Usedsome 1/4 inch plate on the inside and ran bolts with nuts through instead of just the original bolts to hold the hinge on tighter.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Chulisohombre

As to a set of oe complete doors. I've seen them go for 500 apiece if they are in very good usable condition.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:20 PM   #19
robs71k5
K5drive

Orig parts best choice . After market is crap ? Do all measurements before painting after market parts best advice you can get if your buying them to save time . But eventually you'll be restoring to orig parts and swapping them out . I have purchased all kinds of after market parts and haven't found a good source for any yet !
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #20
cori 64

I have a 72 and i quickly found out that these doors are kinda special,so i ended up fixing the cracked hinge areas and doing door pins and replaced all the lower sheetmetal...done!
cori 64 is offline   Reply With Quote