The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Hey all. I'm a member of many forums, but new here. Have wrenched on Harleys for almost 30 years as a hobby and have done a few muscle cars and even a couple old airplanes. This will be my first AD truck, and I'm looking forward to it.

1953 on an S-10 frame with Mustang II front suspension. I verified that the top is chopped 4" but was also told that the bed was stretched 7" (I see some weld marks that kinda confirm that as well). I'm learning what the past owners have done over time. Some good, some crappy. Looking forward to learning with the crew here.

Yanked the "newly build and never fired" 350 to see what I had, and found a bad spot on the crank where someone had drove the connecting rod bolts into it. So...glad I verified the build, but hate that I have to build something else for her now. Oh well, that's part of our hobby.





hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,603
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

welcome.....
looks like a good project ....
curious that they put a m2 on the s10....thats usually one of the reasons for the s10 swap..is for not having to do the front suspension...
which makes me wonder if they put it on a swb frame which led to shortening the bed....
but your bed has been shortened..btw..not stretched...
bed should look like this.......
Attached Images
 
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 c30 lq9 nv4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
1955.1 ls3 tr6060...(under construction)(on hold)
2013 gmc z71. (daily driver)
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563

Last edited by mongocanfly; 04-16-2018 at 01:44 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Who knows WHAT has been done to this old girl over the years Mongo. I DO know that it appears that I have more bed behind the fender than your pic does. I don't have a good pic, but here's one as an example...

Your idea of dropping the truck on a swb s10 frame makes sense though since the front of my bed certainly looks shorter. Maybe they shortened the front and lengthened the rear. :-)

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,603
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

or just moved the fender forward
pull a measure on the bedside...that'll tell....
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 c30 lq9 nv4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
1955.1 ls3 tr6060...(under construction)(on hold)
2013 gmc z71. (daily driver)
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
MARTINSR
Registered User
 
MARTINSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay area Ca USA
Posts: 4,335
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

I don't believe it's chopped 4" I am thinking more like 3.

If you want to find out for sure measure how tall the door window opening is and post it here and one of us will tell you the exact amount.

Brian
__________________
1948 Chevy pickup
Chopped, Sectioned, 1953 Corvette 235 powered. Once was even 401 Buick mid engined with the carburetor right between the seats!
Bought with paper route money in 1973 when I was 15.

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Fred n' Ethel
Registered User
 
Fred n' Ethel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Eastern WV
Posts: 153
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Some original dimensions for reference.
Attached Images
 
Fred n' Ethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: OR
Posts: 720
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

And that's not a Mustang II front suspension - it's Chevy.

But it looks like a great start with all the right parts. I especially like those headers that go around the steering shaft.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred n' Ethel View Post
Some original dimensions for reference.
Thank you - that helps a lot!
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
And that's not a Mustang II front suspension - it's Chevy.

But it looks like a great start with all the right parts. I especially like those headers that go around the steering shaft.
What Mongo said above made me wonder and I was just researching that, so thank you! I bought the project from someone who bought it from someone else, who bought it from someone else. So, I'm taking everything I was told with a grain of salt. I've only ever had a few muscle cars in my days (68 Camaro, 69 Chevelle, 69 Nova). I'm more of an engine guy and never dealt with a Mustang II suspension in the past to I appreciate the clarification.
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
or just moved the fender forward
pull a measure on the bedside...that'll tell....
Measurement from the top/front of the bed to the top/rear of the tailgate is just short of 75"...
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #11
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,603
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

on mine the bedrail end 2 end measures 79 11/16.....
Attached Images
 
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 c30 lq9 nv4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
1955.1 ls3 tr6060...(under construction)(on hold)
2013 gmc z71. (daily driver)
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563

Last edited by mongocanfly; 04-18-2018 at 12:06 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #12
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
on mine the bedrail end 2 end measures 79 11/16.....
You were correct that mine has been shortened then. Interesting that I measure about a 7" long patch down both sides of the bed. Again, who knows WHAT has been done to this old girl over the years.

Should be a fun project...
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
MARTINSR
Registered User
 
MARTINSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay area Ca USA
Posts: 4,335
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

You're teasing me, so how much is it chopped?

Brian
__________________
1948 Chevy pickup
Chopped, Sectioned, 1953 Corvette 235 powered. Once was even 401 Buick mid engined with the carburetor right between the seats!
Bought with paper route money in 1973 when I was 15.

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You're teasing me, so how much is it chopped?

Brian
Driver's and passenger window measures 12" top-to-bottom Brian. I need to look up what the stock height is. The A-Pillars each have about a 4" space between two weld lines, but who knows what went on.

I'll post a measured window pic later...

Last edited by hobo; 04-18-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Changed "A-Arms" to "A-Pillars"
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
dsraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 2,399
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

a arms, assume control arms, may be widened because the s10 is a bit narrow. some use wheel spacers, some use off set wheels, some weld a piece into the control arm that keeps you upright and alive while driving. not really an idea that would pass a safety inspection. in Canada, where I am from, I would lose my mechanics lic and possibly be making lic plates for awhile if I did that. not allowed to modify a steering part. can swap with another manufactured part but heating, cutting, welding is not allowed. think what happens if it seperates while doing 70 mph down the feeway.
lots of aftermarket stuff available, just find out what front end you have there. is it an s10 frame or a clipped frame? pics would help us check it out for you.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
MARTINSR
Registered User
 
MARTINSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Francisco Bay area Ca USA
Posts: 4,335
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo View Post
Driver's and passenger window measures 12" top-to-bottom Brian. I need to look up what the stock height is. The A-arms each have about a 4" space between two weld lines, but who knows what went on.

I'll post a measured window pic later...
Then your truck is only chopped 2.5 inches. It actually looks very good, most are over done in my opinion. Mine is chopped 3.5 inches and I am wondering now if I should have went less after seeing yours.

Brian
__________________
1948 Chevy pickup
Chopped, Sectioned, 1953 Corvette 235 powered. Once was even 401 Buick mid engined with the carburetor right between the seats!
Bought with paper route money in 1973 when I was 15.

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #17
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
a arms, assume control arms, may be widened because the s10 is a bit narrow. some use wheel spacers, some use off set wheels, some weld a piece into the control arm that keeps you upright and alive while driving. not really an idea that would pass a safety inspection. in Canada, where I am from, I would lose my mechanics lic and possibly be making lic plates for awhile if I did that. not allowed to modify a steering part. can swap with another manufactured part but heating, cutting, welding is not allowed. think what happens if it seperates while doing 70 mph down the feeway.
lots of aftermarket stuff available, just find out what front end you have there. is it an s10 frame or a clipped frame? pics would help us check it out for you.
I'm sorry, I meant "A-Pillars". I was trying to respond quickly between meetings and typed the wrong thing. I'll correct the other post...

Thanks for catching that!
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #18
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Then your truck is only chopped 2.5 inches. It actually looks very good, most are over done in my opinion. Mine is chopped 3.5 inches and I am wondering now if I should have went less after seeing yours.

Brian
Thanks Brian, I'll especially take that compliment coming from a body guy. This old girl has sat for years but I'm hoping to bring her back to life. I have to say, welding the holes in the sheet metal is testing my skills. Even with 25 wire and lower heat/speed I'm blowing through, but I'll keep practicing.

The engine in her was a newly-rebuilt and never fired 350. I tore her down to see what the previous owner(s) had built and found a bad spot on the crank. Having the block checked and will be building a 383 for her, so that S-10 7.5 rear end is gonna have to go soon. :-)
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #19
dsraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 2,399
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

grab a piece of copper pipe, flatten it, use it as a backer to fill the holes. the weld won't fall through then. big holes need a plug of metal to weld in. grab some hole cut outs of a size bigger than your biggest hole. drill the holes (with a step drill so they are round) to the size required for the plugs, then all the holes can be easily plugged. try welders series for some unholes (plugs) and lots of other hotrod requirements. they are Canadian so the USD goes a long way. lots of interesting stuff on their website too. some plugs from electrical boxes will work as well but they are galanizes so you takle more time grinding that off than it is worth.
to keep the copper in place I have a C clamp with the bottom of the C cut off, then a magnet attached there. you can stick the magnet to the project, then bear down on the copper backer with the screw part of the c clamp. works pretty good especially if the c clamp is a wide one so the magnet part is further away from the weld, to stop the spatter induced by the magnetism.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #20
hobo
Registered User
 
hobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bryan, OH
Posts: 24
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
grab a piece of copper pipe, flatten it, use it as a backer to fill the holes. the weld won't fall through then. big holes need a plug of metal to weld in. grab some hole cut outs of a size bigger than your biggest hole. drill the holes (with a step drill so they are round) to the size required for the plugs, then all the holes can be easily plugged. try welders series for some unholes (plugs) and lots of other hotrod requirements. they are Canadian so the USD goes a long way. lots of interesting stuff on their website too. some plugs from electrical boxes will work as well but they are galanizes so you takle more time grinding that off than it is worth.
to keep the copper in place I have a C clamp with the bottom of the C cut off, then a magnet attached there. you can stick the magnet to the project, then bear down on the copper backer with the screw part of the c clamp. works pretty good especially if the c clamp is a wide one so the magnet part is further away from the weld, to stop the spatter induced by the magnetism.
Thanks! I've read about the copper backing, so I'll give it a shot...
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,603
Re: New guy - Picked up a '53 3100 Project

the copper does work great....but heat travels fast in copper so be prepared.....
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 c30 lq9 nv4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
1955.1 ls3 tr6060...(under construction)(on hold)
2013 gmc z71. (daily driver)
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com