The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
Jaredchevyk20

How to protect these?

So im having a set of centerline hellcats professionally polished for my k10. They're going on my Daily Driver. In the winters when it snows and the salt/sand is on the roads how will i protect these rims? Right now all i do is polish them with mothers aluminum polish every sunday. Please let me know thanks!
Jaredchevyk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: How to protect these?

best way I know of havin them protected during the winter weather is to keep them in a closet and ride on steelies and put them on ibn late spring after a few good rainstorms have cleared the road of wintertime salt
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
best way I know of havin them protected during the winter weather is to keep them in a closet and ride on steelies and put them on ibn late spring after a few good rainstorms have cleared the road of wintertime salt
I agree with the thought of putting them in the closet. Aluminum is susceptible to the salts and chemicals of the winter process. Aluminum is also very porous and there is lettle that you can do to protect them completely. My son has s set of aluminum Eagle wheels on his wife's impala and we clean them each and every time we change oil.

There are products that does help, but it is not impervious to weather. I use a metal protectant from Wizards products that works to seal the aluminum and keeps dirt and corrosive materials ou of the pores. It is called Power Seal, and so far, it is the best that I have found.

After buying my last truck, I went to my local tire/wheel dealer type guy and bought a set of metal rim take-offs with tires for a fair price and now I put them on for winter. It also gives me a good set of aggressive tread tires for the snow.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have no idea if this is a real thing or not, I've just read about it on boards. People recommend clear powder coat to seal in the shine. Maybe just do a google search and see what comes up.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:11 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Clear powder coat is real, but its not 100% clear. At least in every application I've seen, it ends up with a little bit of a "saran wrap" look on stuff. I've seen something like it on playground equipment.

In certain cases you can use a clearcoat to protect them, which is what Chevy has done in the past like on the Xtreme wheels. You need to use a clear coat designed for bare metal which resists yellowing or going milky. Even then, the large majority of clear coated wheels I've seen started to peel after any nicks/curbing/scratches gave the clear an edge to start lifting from.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
thzpcs

Clear coat is pretty much the only thing you can do to protect the bare metal. I think that there are types of wheel wax out there, but I don't know how well it works.
thzpcs is offline   Reply With Quote