The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
chevygirl95

95 K3500 trouble cold starting & crazy idle--point a girl in any direction??

1995 K3500 6.5L Turbo. New tranny, fuel pump, lines within last 6 months.

So I've had this truck for about 3.5 weeks now. I am the third owner. The second owner only had it about 4 months. He did not know how to start it and used starter fluid to cold start it .

I'm part do-it-yourself, part someone do it for me, so if you can point me in the right direction I will research the crap out of it and attempt to do things myself. I'm just not sure where to start. I'm taking it to a mech next week but would appreciate any pointers from the experienced bunch here.

Issue #1: Truck never cold starts without 3-4 cranks. LONG cranks.

Issue #2: Once it turns over, it idles with a cyclic sound, and without touching the accelerator, the RPM's increase and truck lunges forward slightly. It goes like this: RPM's UP die down almost choke RPM's UP die down almost choke RPM's UP die down almost choke. It does this until I put it in gear and drive.

If I put it into gear and it cycles before I can hit the accelerator, the car lurches forward on it's own and almost screeches tires, and whiplash ensues.

After driving and it's warmed up, it will sometimes idle poorly and sometimes sound fine. If it's less than two hours between starts, I can start it up again with just 1-2 cranks. It normally drives great, no issues.

HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY:

Hauling a bale of hay, about 900-1000lbs. Running AC full blast and AC turns warm and truck starts billowing smoke like it never has before. So much so it looked like the rear end was on fire and couldn't see cars behind me. Engine tries to choke a time or two. It has never done this and I have hauled hay with it before. Turned the AC off and smoke cleared and it ran fine. The vid is idling at home directly after this incident, not turning it off at all.

Help? Thoughts on where to start?

https://youtu.be/mVFgrbsCqaU
Old 05-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Cabnchassis

Re: 95 K3500 trouble cold starting & crazy idle--point a girl in any direction??

Has your PMD been relocated? Have you checked for vacuum leaks or air getting into the fuel?

The PMD controls the injection pump timing and it's located in the valley with the IP. Stupid place to put it as it is a heat sensitive device. There are kits available on ebay usually to relocate it.

If the PMD has been moved already I'd check for fuel leaks, or air intrusion into the fuel, and vacuum leaks around the intake manifold.

The AC clutch/pulley might be stuck and the smoke might be from the belt burning or the clutch burning.
Cabnchassis is offline   Reply With Quote