The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
pete29

how to clear coat and paint truck.

i recently painted my truck with red acrylic enamel and no clear coat. i wanting to put a used bedside on it to look better and also paint just the outside of the truck black with a clearcoat for better protection. should i sand the used bedside then just primer it, then wetsand the whole truck including the bedside, if so, what size of sand paper should i use? After this do i apply the black paint? How many coats should i put on? Then how do i apply the clear coat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pete29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: how to clear coat and paint truck.

Try asking this over at the Paint & Body section of the forum.
I don't know how much experience you have with painting, but I can tell you what my brother has told me about base coat clear coat paint jobs. You should plan on messing up about 2 or 3 jobs before you learn how to get it right. He's not a professional but has done probably 50 killer Mustang restorations. From what he's told me, it's a completely different animal than enamel single stage. Plan on sanding off your mistakes a couple times and re-shooting. I've only ever done 4 paint jobs, all single stage and I know for sure I'm not ready for the clear coat route yet. Plus, I'm perfectly happy with single stage jobs. Keep wax on them and they'll last many years.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
pete29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Try asking this over at the Paint & Body section of the forum.
I don't know how much experience you have with painting, but I can tell you what my brother has told me about base coat clear coat paint jobs. You should plan on messing up about 2 or 3 jobs before you learn how to get it right. He's not a professional but has done probably 50 killer Mustang restorations. From what he's told me, it's a completely different animal than enamel single stage. Plan on sanding off your mistakes a couple times and re-shooting. I've only ever done 4 paint jobs, all single stage and I know for sure I'm not ready for the clear coat route yet. Plus, I'm perfectly happy with single stage jobs. Keep wax on them and they'll last many years.
ya, i've only done one paint job. it was just single stage, but it didn't have a very good shine to it. i'm wondering if it was the cheap paint. if i do it single stage, should i just wetsand it all down, then paint it? what grit of sandpaper do you think? Did your paint jobs that you did have a real nice shine to it? Like a new car? When i did mine it didn't really shine. Thats why i was thinkin clearcoating it.
pete29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Moved to body and paint.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete29 View Post
Did your paint jobs that you did have a real nice shine to it? Like a new car?
The last two I painted didn't have any shine at all....
both flat black

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote