The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
CSHADES

Radiator support 39-40

Ok guys, like I have said in the past I am on here to share my knowledge of these trucks and gain knowledge from you guys. As some of you know I am building a 39 chev truck(project 39). The one thing that has always alluded me is a good radiator support. The truck was damaged in the front in its previous life on the farm. I have never had any luck in finding a good condition radiator support for a 39, I have a quite a few 40 radiator supports so I thought they look pretty much the same and everyone says they are the same. Guess what? that is completely incorrect, I knew going in that I was going to have to make a filler piece that goes from the upper grille trim bar to the leading edge of the hood, no biggey right? wrong again. so yesterday I mocked the 39 trim bar onto the 40radiator support to see what I was in for, well not only does it need the filler piece it also needs the top of the radiator support cut and reshaped. Luckily I have some mangled up support panels from a truck I bought in Oregon to check the differences in the panels. The 39 support is about a 1/2 inch taller in the front than a 40. So right now my 2 options are to use a 40 top bar(really want 39) or do surgery on the support and also make a filler piece which I played around with yesterday. I cut the reveal from a old crusty 46 hood I had lying around because it was the right shape but I don't think it is going to work the way I need it to. Anybody else try this before?
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote