The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #26
jocko

Re: Oil Changing Woes

Rather than saving multiple box tops (a good idea) for all the various maintenance parts (which could get crowded in a glovebox) or a cell phone list (another good idea, but one that is gone when it's eventually dropped in the toilet), to me, it just makes sense to write stuff down. Yes, I "write" it on my computer because I can't read my own chicken scratch, but then I print it out and all the part #s (i.e. filter PN for multiple different mfgrs so I have it in any parts store I go to) and stuff I need, along with the maintenance record, is right there on a single 5x8 sheet. Don't get me wrong - boxtops and cell phone are great ideas, and I actually do both, but I like a single pager in my glovebox that has everything and can't get lost or deleted. Those boxtops are all still pinned to my wall in the barn, just in case...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #27
Ultrasummer

Final Update: Oil filter adapter in place. No gasket between adapter and engine. Locktite on threads of the two bolts. New oil filter. Topped off oil to full. Started up and no leaks. Thank you all. Now on to transmission fluid and rear diff fluid change.
Ultrasummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #28
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Nice to have no leaks! Now, when you get to changing the transmission fluid, you may want to think about getting a drain plug kit for the pan, so that you aren't fighting a lot of splash...next time. If you do consider such a thing, it'll be a lot less traumatic when you punch a hole in the pan to drain the transmission oil where the new plug kit is going to be installed, since you will know that you don't have to do that again. Or, maybe buy a nice, deep pan made of an aluminum billet. Man, I LOVE to spend other people's money, especially for a good cause.

Just things to think about, of course!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:05 AM   #29
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Try VR1 oil by Valvoline your next oil change. I have been using it on my original block with 1 full rebuild on it. Totaling out to 389,000 miles now.

I have also been using VR1 oil on my 1968 C10 327 daily driver for three years now. Have not had any issues to date.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote