The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Jahloha

Free Powder Coating; What To Coat?

Team:

Just made friends with a neighbor who has access to a powder coater and said he would help me powder coat items on my truck for the price of the powder. Needless to say, this is very generous of him and I am stoked to take him up on his offer.

He said the largest thing he could fit to pc, would be something the size of the engine cross member or smaller. So...seeing as I have never powder coated anything, or done it with a restoration of our truck,

What should I get powder coated and what should I not powder coat? Not trying to be ambiguous, I really just dont have much experience with it.

Mahalo.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread

Last edited by Jahloha; 12-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Free Powder Coating; What To Coat?

Is your neighbor going to sand blast and prep the parts you bring him to PC as well? If not, just the sand blasting alone can get spendy. Plus sand blasters typically won't touch a greasy part, like an engine cross member so you will have to figure out a way to clean it your self or pay a shop to soda blast it for you. Then bring it to the sand blaster... You can see the costs run up in just that alone.

The only thing I have powder coated on my truck, is the steel OE wheels in black to match what they looked like painted from the factory. Getting wheels like these done in PC is great, because they are really resistant to heat, chips, and color fade. Plus they are easier to clean, just spray and wipe the grime off.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Lee H

Last fall when I freshened up my truck I had lots of stuff powder coated. Frame, trailing arms, control arms, core support (including brackets and braces), pedals, tubular motor mounts, springs, spring cups, license plate bracket, head light buckets, spare tire mount, bumper brackets, hood latch, tire irons, jack handle, etc, just about anything that was supposed to be black I had powder coated, 47 pieces in all.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Is your neighbor going to sand blast and prep the parts you bring him to PC as well? If not, just the sand blasting alone can get spendy. Plus sand blasters typically won't touch a greasy part, like an engine cross member so you will have to figure out a way to clean it your self or pay a shop to soda blast it for you. Then bring it to the sand blaster... You can see the costs run up in just that alone.

The only thing I have powder coated on my truck, is the steel OE wheels in black to match what they looked like painted from the factory. Getting wheels like these done in PC is great, because they are really resistant to heat, chips, and color fade. Plus they are easier to clean, just spray and wipe the grime off.
Yeah, he has a little blasting booth in his garage. Not big enough for a cross member, but I can wire wheel that in preparation for pc. He also mentioned having access to some sort of booth that essentially uses full strength detergent and crazy hot temperatures (cant remember the name of it). Maybe I can use that in addition to prepping parts.

This is all just new to me, so I am learning as I go.

PS...I really like the look of powder coated wheels. I will most likely go with some H2s, but your idea will definitely stay in the back of my mind.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Last fall when I freshened up my truck I had lots of stuff powder coated. Frame, trailing arms, control arms, core support (including brackets and braces), pedals, tubular motor mounts, springs, spring cups, license plate bracket, head light buckets, spare tire mount, bumper brackets, hood latch, tire irons, jack handle, etc, just about anything that was supposed to be black I had powder coated, 47 pieces in all.
Now we're talking. That is a good way for me to think of it, all things black and metal. I have read on here about prepping thread holes for PC. Do you simply tape off? Wouldnt that cause integrity issues with the final product not have a sealed edge at those locations?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

I plan to get my front inner fenders, rad. core support, hood latch, original tailgate chains, and hood spring assemblies powder coated in black next spring.

Then I'm undercoating the undersides of the inner fenders! Call me "overkill" and I'll give you a big, hearty hug!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
JointTech

I think id do my master cylinder. paint never sticks and they rust so fast. mine looks like crap after 10 miles and 6 months.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
You forgot belt drive pulleys, battery box, radiator cover, differential housing, differential housing cover and master cylinder body.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
bbcmudtruck

Everything that will fit in his oven! Not being sarcastic, i'm serious.
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
What he said.

If he can blast it and cook it I can't think of a down side to PC any part. If he was dealing with me, he would probably rethink this after awhile. I have a guy that coats mine free, but I have to blast it and get it clean. I try to pace myself so as to not wear out my welcome.
davischevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

I had the same offer a couple years ago from a buddy just getting in to powder-coating. He did my accessory pulleys and brackets which made a world of difference. If I would have had the time to disassemble more I would have done the booster, radiator hold downs, brackets for the overflow and wiper jug but just the pulleys and brackets alone in gloss black looked awesome. I'd say whatever can fit!
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
70's luvr

Sounds like a great arrangement! :Jealous:
70's luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I plan to get my front inner fenders, rad. core support, hood latch, original tailgate chains, and hood spring assemblies powder coated in black next spring.

Then I'm undercoating the undersides of the inner fenders! Call me "overkill" and I'll give you a big, hearty hug!
Hadnt thought about the core support or hood springs. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
I think id do my master cylinder. paint never sticks and they rust so fast. mine looks like crap after 10 miles and 6 months.
Just the exterior surface, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcmudtruck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
What he said.

If he can blast it and cook it I can't think of a down side to PC any part. If he was dealing with me, he would probably rethink this after awhile. I have a guy that coats mine free, but I have to blast it and get it clean. I try to pace myself so as to not wear out my welcome.
bbcmud & davis, that is my plan. And yeah, the pacing myself is crucial. I also plan on asking him to teach me how he does it and show him that I am willing to spend the time and not just toss pieces at him and expect him to do it while i coast on the sofa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Snowstorm View Post
I had the same offer a couple years ago from a buddy just getting in to powder-coating. He did my accessory pulleys and brackets which made a world of difference. If I would have had the time to disassemble more I would have done the booster, radiator hold downs, brackets for the overflow and wiper jug but just the pulleys and brackets alone in gloss black looked awesome. I'd say whatever can fit!
Pulleys are another thing I hadnt thought about, thanks.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread