The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #26
Custom 68

Re: rear helper bags

Thanks Andy. Sounds like it worked good. I just didn't know if it needed them to fill the space.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #27
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: rear helper bags

I would use them for the top and bottom so the bag doesn't sit on metal.
I'm telling you my truck rides wonderful with them.
I keep 20 lbs in the front at all times and I'll run 10-20 in the back empty.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #28
Custom 68

That sounds good Andy. I really didn't know how they would do without much load. Mine does pretty good but I thought it might add a little. I have coil over on the front so I can't use them there. I'm gonna be heading to cruizin the coast in a couple weeks so it will be a good drive. I may give them a shot.
Thanks again
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #29
draino76
FUJIMO

Thanks for the info. I might have to add this to my to do list.

I dont mind confusion, I create it!

draino76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #30
JEC32

I installed the performance online helper bags on my 68 long bed. Install was easy and does exactly what was expected, assists! I recommend highly for the price!
JEC32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #31
draino76
FUJIMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC32 View Post
I installed the performance online helper bags on my 68 long bed. Install was easy and does exactly what was expected, assists! I recommend highly for the price!
Do you have a part number for that?

I dont mind confusion, I create it!

draino76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #32
kevmcrae

I put the "inside coil spring" type on my 16 Ram 1500 4wd thinking I could save some money and still get okay capacity. They do okay for lighter trailers/loads. Have the full axle to frame bellow style airbags on my 71 Chev K20 and they are much better for towing heavier trailers/loads. I will likely replace the ones on my Ram next summer with the regular bellows style airbag.
kevmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:58 AM   #33
kehstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
Anybody have this? I'm satisfied with my suspension but want to put something heavier in the bed at times. This seems like a good compromise.

http://www.performanceonline.com/196...DE-ASSIST-KIT/
I have read this thread and no one gives a for sure answer that I saw if these bags work or not. I have used the red bags that go in the coils on other vehicles, but do not think they will give enough lifting for what I haul with my truck.
Has anyone used the Performance Online style on a coil spring truck?? If so can you post pictures?

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #34
kevmcrae

Kehstr, I put "real" bags on my 71 K20. Ride Rite by Firestone makes kits that are easy to install. LMC or similar sell them.
kevmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #35
kehstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmcrae View Post
Kehstr, I put "real" bags on my 71 K20. Ride Rite by Firestone makes kits that are easy to install. LMC or similar sell them.
From what I understand, and saw on a quick Google search those are only for a leaf spring truck. Do they make a similar kit for coil spring trucks?

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #36
LNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC32 View Post
I Know this has been a while but I was wondering to have any pics if them installed? Thanks
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #37
HeavyHauler

I googled Air Lift 60811 and it doesnt say anything about it fitting 1967-1972 Chevy C10?

It looks like the bag would rub with the movement of the coil spring? Also could you show where you routed the air line? Since you had to give them the inside diameter of spring and ride height of truck inside spring. I doubt that the same part number would work for all spring manufacturers even if they are both a 6 in drop spring for example.

Did you have to drill a hole in the frame or the trailing arm to install them. What modifications to the frame or trailing arm were made to install them?

Does it seem to make your truck sway from side to side more when you have air in them?
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #38
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: rear helper bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
I googled Air Lift 60811 and it doesnt say anything about it fitting 1967-1972 Chevy C10?

It looks like the bag would rub with the movement of the coil spring? Also could you show where you routed the air line? Since you had to give them the inside diameter of spring and ride height of truck inside spring. I doubt that the same part number would work for all spring manufacturers even if they are both a 6 in drop spring for example.

Did you have to drill a hole in the frame or the trailing arm to install them. What modifications to the frame or trailing arm were made to install them?

Does it seem to make your truck sway from side to side more when you have air in them?
Nothing done to frame are springs and trailing arms. I drilled the spacer to let the air line run in at a angle so I didn't have to drill the frame. They now have a kit so they say for these years. When I bought mine they didn't. My truck has the No limit shock relocator kit on the back no swaying, I even took the rear sway bar off of it. My truck handles very well for what it is. It rides great with no bottoming out and mine has no c notch either. It's still sitting in the garage waiting for me to install it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #39
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
It looks like the bag would rub with the movement of the coil spring?
I thought the same thing. Here has been my experience.

I installed Airlift bags in the rear coil springs of a 2011 Suburban when it was new. It's now been nearly 10 years since they were installed. The vehicle has 172K on it and there has been zero issue with wear due to rubbing.

We have an 18' trailer that we use occasionally and have towed some massive loads with it with that Suburban. It's not as good at towing as our previous 3/4 ton Suburban, but it makes a HUGE difference to have the bags on this vehicle.

Put it this way, I feel so strongly about the Air-Lift bags that I ordered a set for the '70 C-10 and hope to put them in sometime this winter. Here it is towing a tiny load.