The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Prathbun

Rear Window Wind Noise

I have a '00 Silverado 2wd, 80K, 3 door cab and I'm having a lot of wind noise from the rear wing windows. It seems like the latches are not closing tightly enough. I had it to the dealer and they said the latches couldn't be adjusted inward any farther. Are there new window gaskets that can be installed to stop the air leaks that are causing the noise?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Prathbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
DavesRide

Re: Rear Window Wind Noise

From the factory GM did not reinforce this point where the latch is. Push lightly on the glass with window shut and see if it opens slightly. If it does I have something that might help. Pull away the top of the interior door trim. It pulls straight away from the door itself. Just get it back far enough to see where latch mounts. No need to completely remove it. The latch will unsnap if you look closely at it aloowing the window to be opend a little farther. On the flat surface of the body side of latch drill a hole so that 2 inch wood screw can pass through it and catch the head of screw. screw it into metal and draw the latch closer to door metal. not to much just a little. snap the latch back together and reinstall panel. I have done both side in less than ten minutes.
If it already has screw then you will need to get a new quarter glass installed by a knowledgable glazier. If you need an illustration i can draw it out with a little time.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Joe67
67 is sold

One other thing, did you buy this used? Is there any evidence of body work in that area?

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Prathbun

I purchased the vehicle with 78,000 miles on it and it looked remarkably clean and straight. I don't think it's ever had anything other than oil and tires done to it. I had it at a dealer (Ford however) and they said that there wasn't any more room for adjustment (prior to my purchase). I haven't had any time to do any further investigations at this point. Thanks for the replies!!! Stay tuned.

1967 C 20 Large Window, 700R4, 283, Tilt, PS, PB.....A Rusty But Trusty Gas Hog
2008 Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4
Prathbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
BP68

DavesRide is correct. I am a tech at a Dealer and that is how I fix em, including my 06 ext cab. I use a taper head screw and counter sink it a little to clear the window latch arm. Also don't drill the hole to big or strip the hole or you will have to make a new hole or use a larger screw. I like to drill a small hole and then let the screw thread in and open it up.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote