The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
apache10

'60 chopped 4"

Hi guys, I have just joined the forum and am looking forward to my time here.

I have a '60 Chevy pickup with a 4" chop on the top. What I am having a problem with is, finding somebody near me that cuts curved windshields. I live in northern Illinois (Woodstock to be more accurate) The "A" pillars were not moved at all. Basically cut the roof in 4 sections and made everything else work to fit. I would appreciate any help you guys can provide with this issue I have.
apache10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: '60 chopped 4"

Your in for an expensive adventure - http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/CutWindshield.html
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
apache10

Are you talking $1000??? And I still don't have a name. If it get's real crazy, I'll just make it a convertible and change the "A" pillars completely.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Did you check with The Hot Rod Shop in Rockford, IL he may know someone. I was at his shop years ago when I worked near Beloit, WI on a power plant.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
apache10

I have a call into them and hopefully they will contact me tomorrow. Thanks.

Dennis
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
The Rocknrod

Well cruise the internet, there are many hot rod shops in and around Chicago now days. Someone will know.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
65sub

check youtube for tutorials and do it yourself. Practice on some scrap windshields first
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Robert Haas

I am a glass shop owner, been in the trade for over 40 years.

That said I am probably one of the last handful of people that can do these and I will state right now that the shield in your truck is one of the hardest to do in all of car-dom.

If you get it done for under a grand you might be the luckiest builder on earth.

There are several options

First and safest is to actually have a new windshield "built" I have had a built shield produced twice for two different builders. Both of them cost over $1,500 and they were small, maybe 2/3rds the size of yours. The process is complicated and time consuming. However the results are fantastic and you end up with a brand new piece of glass that can be re-ordered for around 4 bills if you ever break it as the " glass bender keeps your pattern.

The second option is to cut a new stock windshield down. This is the one that causes the most grief. You buy a shield and the glass shop will tell you it ain't their fault nor responsibility if they break it during the "cut". (I have broke up to 4 windshields until I succeeded on the 5th for a 60 impala.) so in this choice it can be pretty expensive to get one and then you have the fear of what happens if I break it down the road.

Last option I put up is cut one down yourself, now this ain't me being cheeky but an honest suggestion. The technique you will use is time consuming, yet if you follow these steps you might pull it off on your very first attempt.

Grind Method.

Build a full coverage support that you will be able to rest the windshield on out of expanding foam insulation. Cover the entire windshield in tape on both inside and out, then build the support. Now with the windshield full encapsulated you are going to "grind" the glass using a orbital disc grinder with a very abrasive wet dry pad on a pneumatic sander. You are going to do this using the "wet" method. Basically you are going to grind the glass to the desired size with the disc sander while a helper holds a steady stream of water on the grind. You will go back and forth evenly taking down the glass until you achieve the desired finish. You need to keep the sanding area flooded as you can let no temperature elevate at all in this process.

As stated you can practice on a scrap shield to get the feel for pressure and rate.

You can do this, a 4" grind will take about 3 hours so what the heck, give it a shot.
Robert Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
chevylookin

Check out this guys vodoo black magic skills. https://youtu.be/d5VSfjgMXLQ
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
apache10

Hey chevylookin, you have just planted a seed. I'm really tempted to give it a whirl... Thank you for the link. I will keep everyone up to date.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylookin View Post
Check out this guys vodoo black magic skills. https://youtu.be/d5VSfjgMXLQ
My first 10 years in construction was working with glass, for 2 of those I was at Tahoe City Glass doing pretty much anything the owner thought would make money. I cut holes in mirrors for receptacles, TV's, lights etc. Anyhow, I made some charcoal tinted wing windows and a rear window for an old hot rodder up there. I have done this method on flat laminated glass but not a curved windshield, but obviously it works. Score it, crack it (both sides) then melt the laminate. I've also used a belt sander to shape glass as well. I agree with Robert to keep the glass cool while grinding/sanding. If I were in your shoes I'd just do it, even if you break a windshield or two trying it's still cheaper, and you'll have the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself. Just take your time, glass is temperamental.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #12
Slik66

I own a glass shop as well.
I would not even attempt that unless it was for my personal truck. The money made on it would not be worth the Huge amount of work it is.

Flat laminated is easy. Curved is not.
The "breaking" of the cut is where you will pinch the w/sh and break the whole thing. You would need to make several cuts so you can break it cleanly and not pinch the part you want.

IF I did ever need to do this, I might try using a small and thin grinding wheel and just follow the line on both sides. You have to keep it wet as stated above, heat is no good. Maybe a dremel and just go slow. Of course you might go through a bunch of wheels. I used to make custom fish tanks and I would drill holes for the drain and sump...etc. What I used was a hone that had diamond powder glued to it which you might be able to get on a grinding wheel but it would probably be expensive.

If you need 4" off this wsh, grinding it down would take forever.

ALSO, I have a 4" x 106" belt sander for glass with 80grit belts. It will grind pretty quick if you keep the belts changed and wet.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
apache10

The absolute hot setup would be a water jet. I think I'm going to try a friend that does granite counters. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Slik66

That would be awesome if it would cut laminated?!?!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
Bomp

Sounds like a really cool build.
Any pics?
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote