The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #326
Crash_OK

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looking good Mark. You are getting close to fun bodywork time
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike, I hope so.. still trying to figure out how I get everything down to bare metal, and then prime it before the surface rust starts..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #327
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
I know what you mean on bodywork, I am working on my whole truck now afetr my bodyman changed his mind and rented his shop out, so trying hard to cut out inner/outer rockers and also cab corners and reinstall all in straight as a bodyman. Engine work, easy in my sleep even but body work wow what an effort, yours looks real nice, sure is slow though isn't it.
I am with you a 100%... Give me the mechanical stuff any day.. But this rust repair/metal work has it's rewards as well.. Good luck with your build..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #328
Crash_OK

Not a lot of progress again.. Summer is almost here.. so I took the daughter and her friend tubing, we all had a great time

I did get the bottom of the cab finished, two coats of POR15, and two coats of POR15 undercoating. I like the way it looks, it did help with toning down the tinning sound of the floor. Time will tell how durable it is.

I worked on the high hump. It was one off of a standard transmission, so I had to fill that hole, in addition, I think it was off of a 71,72 4x4 cab, someone had cut the transfer case hole out some. I will either find a 71, 72 TC shift lever, or I will modify the one I have to move it away from the seat and better fit the hole. I also welded up 52 screw holes in the hump..

Then I worked on the firewall somemore…

Next up was the DBW gas pedal, I modified it to fit my truck, I am not completely happy with it, I will need to tweak it a little.

I had hoped to take some vacation this week and sandblast some surface rust and start spring epoxy primer, but I have some things at work that may not allow that…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #329
mud.man.rj

I know what you mean about time, if work isn't in the road then now yard work is, wow almost forget about the truck in the garage, but at least it is blocking all the other work people want me to do, in time it will get done.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #330
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey Mark the floor turned out great. I thought you were just kidding about the 52 holes in the high hump. Wow, there was a bunch of holes in there. The pedal mod looks good too. Keep up the hard work.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #331
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
I know what you mean about time, if work isn't in the road then now yard work is, wow almost forget about the truck in the garage, but at least it is blocking all the other work people want me to do, in time it will get done.

Just part of life I guess.. but is seems like it is taking forever.. Good luck with your build.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #332
Crash_OK

Quote:
Hey Mark the floor turned out great. I thought you were just kidding about the 52 holes in the high hump. Wow, there was a bunch of holes in there. The pedal mod looks good too. Keep up the hard work.
Thanks Mike.. It did turn out good after the paint dried.. Have a great day..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #333
Crash_OK

Once again, did not get much done.. Worked on large dent on the of the of cab. Found a little more rust on the firewall and repaired as well..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #334
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the roof Mark. Looks like the dent puller / stud gon worked good. No, not more rust
Old 05-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #335
Crash_OK

Quote:
Nice work on the roof Mark. Looks like the dent puller / stud gon worked good. No, not more rust

Thanks Mike.. The gun does work good.. I will need to use it some on the rear of the cab..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #336
Crash_OK

Been hooked up the last few days.. Rust repair and sand blasting on Wednesday..

I sanded the top with a DA…

Did some body repair and then sprayed epoxy Primer on Thursday

Worked on the firewall today..

I did have some orange peel.. not sure what to do.. Do I need to block sand it or will the high build cover it?

If anyone knows what I should do let me know.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #337
tsnow678

I would sand it down smooth maybe with 220 grit to knock the high spots down. I would do this so that it will not bleed through the high build when you block everything. I wouldn't go much finer than 220 for good adhesion for the high build. I used to have an orange peel problem with the urethane high build till I thin it down some. Once I got it thinned it sprayed perfect. When it comes out of the gun smooth it sure does take alot of the work out of sanding. Did you use any kind of etching primer before the epoxy went on? Does the epoxy primer have an etching characteristic? Bare metal really needs to be covered in an acid wash or etching primer for the best adhesion.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #338
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow678 View Post
Did you use any kind of etching primer before the epoxy went on? Does the epoxy primer have an etching characteristic? Bare metal really needs to be covered in an acid wash or etching primer for the best adhesion.
I didn't know you had to use etch primer before epoxy? I thought the epoxy is actually taking the place of etch primer?

Dang Mark, you have been busy! I wasn't expecting so much progress. I guess with no distractions it goes pretty quick Looks good to me. You should be alright hitting that epoxy with some 220 to knock the peel down. The 2k primer should fill the rest of the imperfections. You're really trying to pass me up aren't you?

edit, you're already ahead of me.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #339
Crash_OK

Quote:
I would sand it down smooth maybe with 220 grit to knock the high spots down. I would do this so that it will not bleed through the high build when you block everything. I wouldn't go much finer than 220 for good adhesion for the high build. I used to have an orange peel problem with the urethane high build till I thin it down some. Once I got it thinned it sprayed perfect. When it comes out of the gun smooth it sure does take alot of the work out of sanding. Did you use any kind of etching primer before the epoxy went on? Does the epoxy primer have an etching characteristic? Bare metal really needs to be covered in an acid wash or etching primer for the best adhesion.

Everything I read and have been told, says that epoxy is designed to shoot on bare metal.. Hope I haven't missed something...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Last edited by Crash_OK; 05-11-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #340
Crash_OK

Quote:
I didn't know you had to use etch primer before epoxy? I thought the epoxy is actually taking the place of etch primer?

Dang Mark, you have been busy! I wasn't expecting so much progress. I guess with no distractions it goes pretty quick Looks good to me. You should be alright hitting that epoxy with some 220 to knock the peel down. The 2k primer should fill the rest of the imperfections. You're really trying to pass me up aren't you?

edit, you're already ahead of me.

I am glad you realize how much work has been done.. My wife wanted to know what I have been doing for the last couple of days.. I have stayed hookup.. I hate it to.. Wed and Thurs both would have been good lake days..

I'm not ahead of you.. I still have more body work, plus I still have to sand this down with 220...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #341
tsnow678

Trust me I am no expert at paint and body. So take my advice with a grain of salt. I have two paint suppliers I use, both of which sell different brands and both suggest to use an etching primer first. I am not familiar with epoxy primer so your probably ok if it was recommended for bare metal. Your truck is coming along rather quickly and I can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on any progress.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #342
RCbowtie69

Looking good on that cab Crash,you've made some nice progress & i like the pictures of your progress,keep the hard work up & keep on truckin'
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #343
Crash_OK

Quote:
Trust me I am no expert at paint and body. So take my advice with a grain of salt. I have two paint suppliers I use, both of which sell different brands and both suggest to use an etching primer first. I am not familiar with epoxy primer so your probably ok if it was recommended for bare metal. Your truck is coming along rather quickly and I can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on any progress.

Thanks Tsnow, I confirmed that the Epoxy I am using is designed to be applied directly to bare metal…
Have a good eveinig..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Last edited by Crash_OK; 05-12-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #344
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 View Post
Looking good on that cab Crash,you've made some nice progress & i like the pictures of your progress,keep the hard work up & keep on truckin'

Thanks RCbowtie.. It has been a tough couple of Months.. I really admire people who do this for a living..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #345
Crash_OK

Decided to block sand all of the orange peel out of the epoxy primer and re-shoot.. Sanding epoxy primer sucks.. Got it all done by 3:00 this afternoon and started reshooting.. Still have some orange peel.. I think the problem is that I was spraying the primer to fast.. I slowed down and it got better.. If I slowed to much it would run.

At least for now all of the bare metal is covered expect for the floor, I will POR15 it tomorrow…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #346
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looking good Mark! Glad to see it all one color. Nothing easy on these old trucks. Look forward to more progress.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #347
Crash_OK

Quote:
Looking good Mark! Glad to see it all one color. Nothing easy on these old trucks. Look forward to more progress.
Thanks Mike.. I am not a quitter, but considered selling it all this morning..

Hope your project worked out for you today..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #348
tsnow678

X2 on the everything one color! Starting to look like a complete package! It won't be too long and it will be a complete truck again. I have considered selling my 72 4x4 for awhile now but after seeing your progress I may just keep it. I have had a time getting my 69 Camaro like I want it and it sort of had me bummed out but having one of these old trucks restored surely would be nice. Keep up the good work as it is encouraging to me especially!!!! Thanks for putting forth the effort!!! This is one of my favorite builds!!1
Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #349
Crash_OK

Quote:
X2 on the everything one color! Starting to look like a complete package! It won't be too long and it will be a complete truck again. I have considered selling my 72 4x4 for awhile now but after seeing your progress I may just keep it. I have had a time getting my 69 Camaro like I want it and it sort of had me bummed out but having one of these old trucks restored surely would be nice. Keep up the good work as it is encouraging to me especially!!!! Thanks for putting forth the effort!!! This is one of my favorite builds!!1
Thanks for the support Tsnow.. sometimes I forget that I am doing this because I enjoy it... lol

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #350
Crash_OK

Pic’s from Sunday.. Painted the floor of the cab with Por15

Then I worked on some small stuff.. Remounted the bump stops for the front axle. I still need to drill 2 holes and bolt the top of the mounts..

Then my buddy and I went to play on the lake for a while..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB