The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2023, 10:40 PM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Reviews on "American Retro" 15" 67-68 steering wheel?

Has anyone installed and used the above steering wheel (its a smaller diameter version of the stock 67-68 wheel)?

I bought one off ebay and was a little concerned about the quality...it is made in china and just the weight off it felt so different then the original that I put it on a gram scale and found it weighted 55 grams to the stock wheel which was 91. Finish on it had some dust nibs but I was going to paint it anyways so that wasn't a huge concern. Then I looked at the splines which were a little beat up and deformed....it would start to slide on the stock column but it wouldn't pull all the way tight. I have a ididit column waiting to be installed and the new steering wheel wouldn't even start to slip over the splines on that column they were so inaccurate/deformed on the steering wheel. I just ended up returning it.

I absolutely love the look of the original steering wheel and was hoping to make it work....just wondering if I got a "dud." Has anyone used one of these steering wheels for a while without issues and can share their thoughts? Or should I just put a GM comfort grip wheel on it and be done!?
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:32 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Reviews on "American Retro" 15" 67-68 steering wheel?

That's one of the hazards of buying on eBay.. Some of the eBay vendors buy quantities of seconds and blems from the manufacturers and then resell them at a discount. Did you buy directly from American Retro, or from a vendor??

Locar sells a line of steering wheels they call Lecarra.. They don't have any reproduction or OEM type steering wheels, but they do have some "retro" looking wheels, plus a wide range of custom designs.. I bought my truck 6 years ago and a PO had installed a polished aluminum 15" Lecarra wheel.. I don't know how old the wheel is, but it has held up very well over the years, not a mark on it..

Here's a link to the Lecarra site:
https://www.lokar.com/lecarra.html
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:28 AM   #3
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
That's one of the hazards of buying on eBay.. Some of the eBay vendors buy quantities of seconds and blems from the manufacturers and then resell them at a discount. Did you buy directly from American Retro, or from a vendor??

Locar sells a line of steering wheels they call Lecarra.. They don't have any reproduction or OEM type steering wheels, but they do have some "retro" looking wheels, plus a wide range of custom designs.. I bought my truck 6 years ago and a PO had installed a polished aluminum 15" Lecarra wheel.. I don't know how old the wheel is, but it has held up very well over the years, not a mark on it..

Here's a link to the Lecarra site:
https://www.lokar.com/lecarra.html
The wheel appeared to come directly from the manufacture in California.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
The wheel appeared to come directly from the manufacture in California.
So, you bought from American Retro through eBay?? Did American Retro offer to replace the wheel?? For what ever reason, if you didn't receive a replacement, you'll never know if the one you bought was a "dud" or not..

I'm old and crotchety and never buy anything through eBay or any other "3rd party" internet vendors. I prefer dealing directly with a company . If I can't place an order directly over the phone or "face-to-face" over a counter, not many places get my business. Having said all that, I can't help you with feed back concerning American Retro products bought through eBay..

Defects aside, if you really like their product, follow this link to their website and talk directly with them about their wheels..

https://americanretro.com/
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote