The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
HeavyD

Is ULTRA 7000 that much better than Dimension paint?

hey guys, tomorrow is my last day helping out at the paint store and I am going to buy paint since I get an employee discount. My boss insists dimension is just fine and that the 7000 is a waste of $$, considering it is 4x the price. Any comments on this? Truck will be a nice daily summer driver.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
justin26

Talking Re: Is ULTRA 7000 that much better than Dimension paint?

the diffrence in my opinion is in using them the ultral 7000 cover better and in less coats and the color match is better by far. when i do work on the side i use the ultra 7000 color and the refinishers selct clear to cut down on cost. the refinishers select clear is what they diccontinue in the 7000 series and the reduce it down and all you have to add is hardner. i have not had any problems with it at all you just have to put enough on. if im not mistaken the diminsions is single stage paint. i use base clear system uhnless it is frame or suspension parts. hope this helps i have been drinking a little.
justin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
cdowns

Re: Is ULTRA 7000 that much better than Dimension paint?

THE BITTERNESS of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
TheGreenCoyote

Those are wise words.
TheGreenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
SactoJim

The main difference in price between economy types of bases and premium lines is due to the amount of pigments in the color and to what extent the paint mfr goes to provide OEM color match. Premium lines of base are painstakingly hand color matched to all the OEM variances of each color. Combine the amount of time that takes along with the extra pigment in those bases and they have to be more $$$. The economy lines are typically computer matched (quicker and less accurate), have fewer (if any) variances, and contain less pigment (takes more to cover).

Clears typically differ from economy and premium in regards to how "clear" they actually are and how much UV protection they have. Less expensive clears will typically be a little yellow and have less UV protection in them.

Most everyone of the major paint mfrs premium lines of bases and clears are truly designed for the collision repair industry, where speed, color match, and mfr backed paint warranties are needed.

If you're doing a complete, it's fine to go with the economy base and for that matter an economy clear as well. If you know what you are doing, all the body work is sound, prep and spray it correctly, and take care of it afterwards, it should last a long time.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote