The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #1
streetstar

"vintage" Town car

Alright

-- this came into my possession a few months ago and it is an absolute gas to drive ---

I actually sought this out and bought it on purpose-- it wasn't handed down to me by an aging relative or anything

I wanted an old Lincoln , but I didn't want to go back so far that I needed to fully restore one, -- or deal with a 10mpg 460 V8

This one is an 86, has a FI 5.0 motor , gets pretty good mileage, and is an absolute gas to drive

Problem is -- I am in a dilemma where I want to take it forward a bit in appearance -- but don't want to "cross the line"

My thoughts were - 2" lowering or thereabouts , some 17" Tru-Spokes, and some decent pinstriping or ghost flames possibly while retaining all other aspects of a Lincoln ---

If anybody has any thoughts on how to trick out a big Lincoln- chime in ! --- I have seen a couple of Mark 3's on Counting Cars that were killer, -- but Lordy - those are $40,000 builds and are 2 door to boot

I really like this car -- but now that I have had it a few months - want to take it out of the "inherited from grandma" realm and invoke a little more style to it

thx in advance for any suggestions

edited to add: -- this isn't intended to be a big $$ project --- I know custom springs would be in order, sure, -- but no body mods and I was going to have what few dings it has pdr'ed and work off the existing paint --- I almost spit out my beer when I saw what real Tru-spoke's cost as well ---- if anyone has any suggestions on a wheel choice that would be a tad cheaper but look appropriate on a rockabilly style luxury car --- I'm listening

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: "vintage" Town car

Man, I love those 70s/80's land yachts, but then I'm 75, so those are still new cars to me, LOL. I drove an 87 Chrysler 5th Avenue until about ten years ago when I decided that a Suburban was what I wanted.
That's a great looking Lincoln you have. I like your ideas except for the flames. I think that would be too out of character.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Man, I love those 70s/80's land yachts, but then I'm 75, so those are still new cars to me, LOL. I drove an 87 Chrysler 5th Avenue until about ten years ago when I decided that a Suburban was what I wanted.
That's a great looking Lincoln you have. I like your ideas except for the flames. I think that would be too out of character.
Thanks Russell !

Yes -- my thoughts on the Lincoln are that if I took it a little too far, it might end up looking like an urban pimp-mobile

It is such a smooth riding car -- not a marshmallow, but its as long as my late model crew cab work truck so I'm sure that wheelbase plays into it a bit

I was a bit unsure on the ghost flames thing also --- was thinking a very light silver fade just on top of the hood , but then again, some nice pinstriping is likely all it needs

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

Keep it classy...
Stock wheels... and bag it. No flames...
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
NONHOG

I'd ad wheels that have an OEM vibe. Nothing bling. Slightly bigger and wider(newer Mustang 17"?) then call it a day. I actually see those on CL cheap and think what a cool DD it would be. Not hard to get 300+ HP from a 5.0. that would be fun!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
ElKotze

You're right. Slightly bigger wheels and a modest drop (maybe 2") would push it to the next level. Great car!!
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I think you'd regret doing anything to the original paint. Looks like it has a nice pin stripe already.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You might want to check out www.lincolnsonline.com . They have a pretty good sized Town Car board over there.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Flying Hamster

One of my friends has one.(1987). He swapped in a 5.8, added dual exhaust and flowmaster mufflers, pulled the Air suspension and used Police Crown Vic suspension parts. 15x8 steel wheels with mid-70s Lincoln hubcaps and I think 235/60 15 tires.
Exterior looks stockish, except bumpers were swapped for earlier 80s ones that wrap around the sides. His is black, so it has a different look to begin with.
Oh, rear axle has 3.55 and limited slip.