The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
gwignall

Can I Repair 1971 Chevy PU Drivers Window Regulator?

I removed the wing window and glass to replace the felt channels on the 1971 Chevy 1/2 ton my husband is restoring. I installed new felts and re-installed the glass. All went well....window rolled up and down just fine. Put door panel back on....window wouldn't budge. Took door panel off...window regulator is still stuck! I can see the "gears" trying to move when I turn the handle clockwise, but at the risk of breaking glass, I didn't force it. Are there adjustments I can make to the regulator (in the door or if I take it out of the door)? Thanks, Gayle
gwignall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Can I Repair 1971 Chevy PU Drivers Window Regulator?

Welcome to the board!

Your problem could be that the glass is bound up in the new felts/rubber seal you installed.

Try getting a second person to put their hands flat on each side of the glass, kind of like making a prayer with glass in between the palms of their hands.
Then have them press their hands together, while putting downward pressure while you put tension on the window crank in the down window direction.

You could have a twisted or not fully seated window channel?

But before doing all that, make sure that the large X shaped scissor mechanism isn't off track from the window it self. On the ends of the mechanism where it connects to the window, there are plastic buttons that go in the bottom channel of the glass. Those wear out, and could have broken off.

There are about a half dozen other things that could be causing your issue, but these I think are the some of the most common issues after doing what you did.

Good luck!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote